PDA

View Full Version : Good Lube for Diamond Stones?

Steve H Graham
07-09-2015, 5:56 PM
Today I ran a 1/2" chisel into a screw, which gave me an excuse to sharpen it and correct some preexisting issues with the edge. I have been using DMT diamond stones.

The last time I did this, I used WD40 as a lubricant. It was handy. Later I realized that when the liquid evaporated, the wax in the WD40 was still on the stone, causing problems.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend something better. I tried to find kerosene today, figuring it would be a lot like WD40 without the wax. I ended up using lighter fluid, which worked very well and instantly dissolved the wax. The stone cut like crazy. If no one has a better idea, I'll keep using it.

lowell holmes
07-09-2015, 6:14 PM
I use water. I will rinse them under a faucet occasional, scrubbing a bit with a brush while rinsing. I have both ss and plastic backed carbide(?) with diamonds.

My big carbide plates are at least 10 years old, maybe 15.

Mike Siemsen
07-09-2015, 6:35 PM
We call it lubricant but it is really there to remove swarf from the surface of the stone so it doesn't load up. This causes confusion for newcomers because we want friction to abrade the tool.. Some diamond stones say in the instructions to not use petroleum products. I believe that is the case with my DMTs, so water with a drop of soap. Dry them off after so they don't rust. I use lamp oil on my oilstones. The stuff for Tiki torches.

Robert Engel
07-09-2015, 6:36 PM
I use the DMT duosharp plates and I usually use Windex. Got that from Paul Sellers.

I've also used a cleaning solution called "Dirty Jobs" it seemed to float away the swarf better.

Seems to work for me. I don't use plain water and WD40 has never (and will never) touch them.

Steve H Graham
07-09-2015, 6:51 PM
You know, that's funny, because window cleaner was the first thing I tried today. I figured it might cut the wax.

I think I'm going to stick with Zippo fluid until I can try kerosene.

Richard Line
07-09-2015, 7:06 PM
If I recall correctly, DMT suggests using water with a drop or 2 of liquid soap as a wetting agent/lubricant/flushing fluid. I've been satisfied with it. No problems keeping them clean that way.

Brian Holcombe
07-09-2015, 7:14 PM
Water here as well. I keep a spray bottle with distiller water. I use distiller water so that minerals do not affect my finish stones.

Frederick Skelly
07-09-2015, 7:29 PM
Water here too.

george wilson
07-09-2015, 9:28 PM
I use a 1/2 pint laboratory squeeze bottle mostly full of water and a few drops of Dawn dish detergent in it. There should also be a few drops of water soluble cutting fluid to be ideal,but I have none at present. The detergent does fine,though.

Daniel Rode
07-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Water.

I keep a spray bottle filled with water next to my stones.

1) It's essentially free and always available in my shop
2) No mess, no residue, non-toxic
3) The same bottle of water is used for my diamond stones and my shaptons.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-10-2015, 11:49 AM
...I use lamp oil on my oilstones. The stuff for Tiki torches.
I trust you are not a smoker!!!

Pat Barry
07-10-2015, 12:56 PM
You know, that's funny, because window cleaner was the first thing I tried today. I figured it might cut the wax.

I think I'm going to stick with Zippo fluid until I can try kerosene.

I hope you don't start a fire

bridger berdel
07-10-2015, 4:16 PM
I use 70% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle. It's a better cleaner than windex, but it evaporates a little fast in hot dry weather. I like that it doesn't promote rust, and having the spray at the ready is helpful for other things in the shop too.

I don't smoke.

Steve H Graham
07-10-2015, 5:30 PM
My new problem is that I can't put the stones away. Now that I realize I can sharpen them by hand, I feel like I can't put down a chisel without touching it up, because it might have dulled by an amount that could be measured by an electron microscope.

bridger berdel
07-10-2015, 7:17 PM
I think I can see the next body mod craze. Diamond sharpening plates implanted in various parts of the body. Back of the hand would be great for quick touchups, top of the thigh for sit-down sessions.....

Andrae Covington
07-11-2015, 9:29 AM
I've used water for a long time or just dry, tried WD40 for a bit, now mostly use mineral oil.

From the DMT FAQ:
While we recommend you use DMTŪ products dry or with water only, it is acceptable to use a variety of lubricants when sharpening with DMTŪ products. Mineral oil, mineral spirits, kerosene, WD40 can all be used without harming your DMTŪ sharpener.

David M Anderson
07-11-2015, 9:39 AM
I have DMT diamond plates, also was in lapidary for awhile.
In lapidary, water and dish soap was always recommended for the diamond discs to aid in cooling and keep the residue from embeding
around the diamonds.

Jet dry works real good or any kind of dish soap, not much is needed just a few drops in water and a spray bottle.

If your plates or discs become rusty looking, it's not the plates but the iron particles imbedded between the diamond coating.

Solution to cleaning is pretty simple.

Just immerse it completely in lemon juice

Just did half of the disc for comparison

Simple wash off outside with a garden hose and a little dish soap.

Edit:
Should of stated...was left in for about 8 hours.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-11-2015, 9:46 AM
Thanks David! I always suspected the rust was from embedded particles. I am going to soak my stones in lemon juice.

glenn bradley
07-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Just water here on DMT plates. Over a decade and doing great.

Stanley Covington
07-11-2015, 10:53 PM
After a battle with cancer, I try to avoid getting petrochemicals or chemicals like WD-40 or solvents on my hands. Rubber gloves are a pain when sharpening. Water is ok, but I find myself using either a non-toxic cutting fluid, or the mixture I use on my water stones, which is distiller water with either Borax or washing soda added (depending on what I can get my hands on.) I use DI water when available.

David M Anderson
07-12-2015, 9:20 AM
Stanley, hope you beat it forever, thumbs up to you.

There might be a misconception going on using diamond plates
You can use them dry, but the preferred method is using water to keep the diamond grit from clogging up.
Metal filling become suspended and pushed away from the cutting surface using a liquid.
Soap is sometimes added to aid in the suspension of the fillings.

Also have heard unscented baby oil is a liquid to use, maybe I will try that out today.

Michael Ray Smith
07-12-2015, 6:20 PM
I use Krud Kutter degreaser in their spray bottle (which I refill from gallon jugs -- I use a fair amount of the stuff for lots of things). The detergent seems to help, and I think they include some sort of rust inhibitor.