PDA

View Full Version : Fresh cut carrotwood

Brian Kent
07-07-2015, 7:56 PM
A friend is bringing over some carrotwood. I am under the weather and do not want to sharpen the chain say and use it today. And recommendations?

They are just over a foot long and a foot in diameter.

robert baccus
07-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Endseal the cut surfaces.

Brian Kent
07-07-2015, 11:34 PM
Thanks Robert. I can do that.

Reed Gray
07-08-2015, 1:18 AM
Plastic bag will work for a day or three... even put some water in it.

robo hippy

Brian Kent
07-11-2015, 11:26 AM
I ended up using Rockler "Green Wood End Sealer" because that is what I could find locally on short notice. I had never seen a review on it so I searched further and discovered it is "Anchorseal II", which I understand is not as helpful as original "Anchorseal". So when I find a fresh supply of money laying around, I'll order some original over the web.

Bob Bergstrom
07-11-2015, 11:31 AM
If you just recoat 1 possibly 2 coats it will get thicker. Just have to build more protection

Brian Kent
07-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Good. I have not been successful in finding the original Anchorseal in San Diego or even Southern California. UCCoatings only ships to the East Coast and all of the California dealers are in the northern California timber industry areas.

Brian Kent
07-11-2015, 12:06 PM
I just broke down the smallest log. I am planning on turning two pieces green and storing two.

I assume at this point I should seal all sides and store indoors. Is that right? They are currently in a closed plastic bag.

I apologize for all of these questions. Most of my turning in the last 2 years has been on kiln dried lumber or dry fallen wood.

Brian Kent
07-11-2015, 3:17 PM
The guy who gave me this wood said it is not carrotwood, but is in the Genus Podocarpus, which has 104 to 107 species. I do not know what this is. It is a conifer. So far, that's all I know.

Because of location, it is probably Podocarpus Gracilior, or "Fern Pine", but it does not have the grain or sappiness of other kinds of pine.

Peter Blair
07-12-2015, 11:19 AM
Nice workbench Brian. I have one just like it in my shop!!!