PDA

View Full Version : LED Under Cabinet Lights from Feit Electric

Roger Lueck
07-07-2015, 5:35 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the LED under cabinet lights made by Feit Electric?

Feit makes the lights in 24", 18" and 12" lengths

The 24" light is 32 watts, 1850 lumens, color temp. 4100 K

Each light is supplied with a round "puck type push button" master switch.

Several of the lights can be connected together, up to a maximum of 100 watts

In addition to the master switch, each light also has a "touch sensitive switch" on one end of the body of the light

They are supplied with 120v lug/cord, however the lights themselves appear to be low voltage light, possibly 12v????

If the light is low voltage does anyone know where the transformer is located, within the round master switch or in the body of the light?

Thank You for any information you may have about these LED lights
Roger Lueck

Steve Peterson
07-08-2015, 2:53 PM
I have no experience with the Feit LED lights, but 1850 lumens sounds like an enormous amount of light. Most 60W incandescent bulbs put out between 600-800 lumens. Each 24" LED is equivalent to 2.3-3 60W bulbs. Are they dimmable so you can dial them back if needed?

Steve

Matt Meiser
07-08-2015, 3:25 PM
No experience with them either but I've done LED lighting in 2 kitchens. One I bought LED light fixtures. The second I bought LED tape. Hands down I'd recommend the tape for ease of installation and cost. Both kitchens were built with switched outlets above the cabinets. For the full fixtures Romex had to be fished down. For the tape, power supplies sit on top of the cabinets and low voltage wire is fished down either in the front corner of the cabinet hidden behind the face frame or in the small gaps between the cabinets. And frankly I think the tape gives off more even light.

I bought the tape kits at Menards but there are a million sources, many probably significantly cheaper.

Wade Lippman
07-08-2015, 8:02 PM
The 24" light is 32 watts, 1850 lumens, color temp. 4100 K

You might be confused. I just put up a couple Feit shoplight LED fixtures. They are 38w, 3700 lumens. That is nearly twice the output of yours.
And yeah, 1850 lumens under your counter is a lot of light.

Jim Becker
07-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Not familiar with that brand, but I used the LED tape product from Lee Valley in my kitchen and couldn't be happier.

Erik Loza
07-09-2015, 12:23 PM
We have some Feit rigid LED bars in a display nook in the hallway. Direct-wire, they are plenty bright for my needs. if I was to do any more of this, though, I would probably go with the flexible tape like Jim did. His finished result was really impressive. We got the rigid bars when they first came out and the tape was not so prevalent. The tape looks like a superior option though I have no complaints with the bars at this point.

Erik

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2015, 12:29 PM
We are in the home stretch of a kitchen addition/remodel. They are installing under cabinet LEDs ribbons in 3 different locations in the kitchen. They roughed in boxes behind a cabinet in all 3 locations. The cabinet maker cut holes in the back of the cabinets for those outlet boxes when they installed the new cabinets. Our cabinets go to the ceiling without any soffit. The transformers for LEDs will go on the top shelf within the 3 effected cabinets.

Roger Lueck
07-11-2015, 2:10 PM
Thanks for all the information, it is appreciated.

These LED lights do produce 1850 lumens. I chose this specific light as the surfaces adjacent to where it will be installed are very dark (almost black) and will not provide the reflectivity that lighter surfaces would provide. They will be used in an enclosed cabinet and not for below cabinet counter top lighting. I'm hoping the increased light will reduce the amount of dark areas within the cabinet.