PDA

View Full Version : I Think My Fusion is a Lemon...

Brian Leavitt
07-07-2015, 1:16 PM
I've had my Fusion 40 for about a year and I seem to have way more trouble with it than I feel I should. I had to replace the I-Beam on it a month after I got it because I ran into an issue where it would get stuck while homing upon bootup. Then I had to send the whole machine back to Epilog because of a problem with vectors. They replaced a bunch of parts that time. It will also not maintain a correct home position so I'm having to adjust the offsets once or twice a month, but when I talk to a tech at Epilog, they tell me not to do that unless they say so. I can deal with adjusting the X and Y home positions through the control panel on the laser, but there's no way I'm going to adjust and realign my rulers once or twice a month to compensate for a lost home position. Now it's getting stuck while homing again and will not finish booting. Anyone else have problems like this with the Fusion? I'm getting rather tired of dealing with it. My 14 year old ULS shouldn't be the most reliable laser I have...

Keith Winter
07-07-2015, 5:47 PM
I don't have a Epilog, but I would expect a company with a sterling reputation like Epilog to fix the laser if you're having issues. Have they narrowed it down to hardware or is it potentially software? Don't do this but something to ask about if it's not already been done > Have the techs reinstalled the software on your computer and newest firmware on your machine? Losing home is bizarre, I've never experienced that with any of my Trotecs. Bad sensor or bad board memory possibly?

vic casware
07-07-2015, 6:12 PM
I finally have my Fusion 40 installed and I'm just setting up the computer i really
hope i don't run into any of your issues, I'm at the bottom of the world and
no way am i sending this back.

Brian Leavitt
07-15-2015, 1:32 PM
I'm sure you'll be OK, Vic. I got mine when the 40 first came out so it's a very early production model.

I wanted to update because I FINALLY got it fixed. I was on the phone with an Epilog tech for two hours today. For some reason, on my particular I-Beam (which was replaced a few weeks ago), the tab that engages the Y-Axis sensor is not long enough. This was causing the I-Beam to hit the rubber bumpers at the back of the machine while homing. While waiting on hold with tech support, I taped a small piece of cardboard to the tab to lengthen it by about .0312". After that I switched on the machine and it homed and booted up fine. So I told this to tech support and they had me move the bumpers back enough so that it didn't hit anymore.

That's the short version anyways.

Dee Gallo
07-15-2015, 7:51 PM
I'm glad you worked it out, Brian. Sorry it took so long. I guess tech support has some new things to learn sometimes. Your experience will help others in the future, so thanks!

cheers, dee