PDA

View Full Version : Maple and Walnut

Roger Chandler
07-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Maple and Walnut

I have not posted anything in a while, and I don't post a lot of things I turn.

I have always liked the contrast of maple and walnut woods, and I am a fan of pedestal forms in general, so I combined the features of both woods and a pedestal on this lidded pedestal bowl.

7-1/4" diameter and 11-3/8" tall at the tip of the finial. I did not want a tall finial on this, and I missed the replication of the form in the finial just a little with too much curve on that form, but this one will go off to the gallery as it now is.

Turning time has been way too scarce in the last few months.....partly due to the fact I was waiting for my new lathe to arrive, and also because of the demands of my work.

Comments welcome!

daryl moses
07-07-2015, 1:28 PM
I like it a lot Roger. Yes, the Walnut and Maple go very well together.

Allan Wright
07-07-2015, 3:39 PM
I like the highlight line at the lip of the bowl where the lid meets it - very classy.

Scott Brandstetter
07-07-2015, 3:46 PM
Beautiful piece of art Roger. Very nice

Roger Chandler
07-07-2015, 4:04 PM
Thanks Daryl, Allan and Scott.........I appreciate your comments!

Allan Ferguson
07-07-2015, 4:55 PM
I think that is very classy and well done. Allan

Roger Chandler
07-07-2015, 5:30 PM
I think that is very classy and well done. Allan

Muchos gracious, Allan!

Mark Greenbaum
07-07-2015, 5:45 PM
Roger that is an elegant lidded bowl on a pedestal. I don't know how anyone cane make such delicate finials, but I really want to learn how. Excellent work, sir.

Dennis Ford
07-07-2015, 5:52 PM
A very fine piece, well done.

David Delo
07-07-2015, 6:10 PM
Pretty sweet Roger. Agreed that maple and walnut make a nice combination.

Dok Yager
07-07-2015, 7:35 PM
Very nice piece Roger. I really like the walnut lip on the lid and the old style finial. Nicely done!

Roger Chandler
07-07-2015, 7:43 PM
Mark, Dennis, David & Dok........thank you all so much...:).....I appreciate your taking the time to comment on this form. Since I had not posted anything in quite a while, & did a different style finial than most see, I was not sure how it would be received.

robert baccus
07-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Real class all the way.

Roger Chandler
07-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Real class all the way.

Thank you Robert.......very kind comment!

Mark Henshaw
07-09-2015, 11:23 AM
I really like the color contrast. Is your grain on the maple section running along the length? If so, did you take any extra precautions when gluing the small walnut lip onto the end grain? I have always worried in the past about getting the lip to adhere long term. I usually have turned a small lip into the inside of the vessel before applying the lip. This leaves a thicker section of the walnut lip on the inside then on the outside.

Thanks,
Mark

Roger Chandler
07-09-2015, 11:46 AM
I really like the color contrast. Is your grain on the maple section running along the length? If so, did you take any extra precautions when gluing the small walnut lip onto the end grain? I have always worried in the past about getting the lip to adhere long term. I usually have turned a small lip into the inside of the vessel before applying the lip. This leaves a thicker section of the walnut lip on the inside then on the outside.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark...........that is a heavy burn line at the join on the lid........just for definition and visual interest. No issue with glue holding.

Stan Smith
07-09-2015, 11:48 AM
very classy style. nice woods contrast, too.

Roger Chandler
07-09-2015, 11:49 AM
very classy style. nice woods contrast, too.

Thanks, Stan!