PDA

View Full Version : Cut Angle for Block Plane?

Al Launier
07-07-2015, 9:05 AM
Block planes come with different cut angles. Is there "best" all-round angle? If the block plane angles are designed fo & wonder if these r specific applications, i.e. end grain smoothing, etc. Does the angle change according to whether the application is hardwood or softwood? If they are application specific what would they be? I have a couple that I think are ~23°-25° & wonder if these are general purpose block planes???

Mike Cutler
07-07-2015, 9:35 AM
AL
22-25 degrees. Some folks like a 22 degree grind with a 25 degree micro-bevel. Some go steeper for dense tropical end grain.
Type of wood, and specific use, will determine how wide the throat is open and how much blade is exposed.

Post this in the Neander' section. Be forewarned though, there is a lot of info out there on this seemingly simple little hand plane. I probably have 5 block planes, and each is setup a little differently. ;)

Bill Ryall
07-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Standard is a nominal 20 degrees, low angle is a nominal 12 degrees. Low angle is much better for end grain and plywood, and the standard is kind of an all-around general duty. When I am building small boats, I usually reach for one of my low angle block planes simply due to the exposed end grain of the curves. Trim carpentry I generally default to the standard. Benchwork building furniture, I usually have both on the bench within arms reach. My block planes are one of my most used tools overall.

Mike Henderson
07-07-2015, 4:20 PM
I normally use a low angle block plane. The bed of a low angle is 12 degrees and the bevel angle of the blade is usually 25 degrees, making the cutting angle 37 degrees.

On a standard angle block plane, the bed angle is 20 degrees, the bevel angle is 25 degrees, making the cutting angle 45 degrees.

Sharpening at less than a 25 degree bevel angle usually makes the edge too fragile.

Mike

Tom M King
07-07-2015, 4:56 PM
I wouldn't want to be without either. I have two pairs of Stanleys-9-1/2's and 60-1/2's. The Burgandy pair I bought new in the '70s. The NOS dark blue ones I couldn't resist on ebay. I keep straight across irons on the burgundy ones, and cambered irons on the blue ones. One of the four stays in my apron pocket (custom sewn leather block plane pocket) depending on what I'm working on.

Kent A Bathurst
07-07-2015, 5:58 PM
I normally use a low angle block plane. The bed of a low angle is 12 degrees and the bevel angle of the blade is usually 25 degrees, making the cutting angle 37 degrees.

On a standard angle block plane, the bed angle is 20 degrees, the bevel angle is 25 degrees, making the cutting angle 45 degrees.

Sharpening at less than a 25 degree bevel angle usually makes the edge too fragile.

Mike

^^^^ I'm with Mike ^^^

got 2 LA and 2 std A..........

David Bassett
07-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Something not mentioned yet (that I see) is that since the block planes are bevel up you can raise the cutting angle by changing the bevel on your blade (iron). (It is hard to lower the angle for the reason Mike, and others, give. 25 degrees is about the limit before your edge becomes too fragile.)

An example: the 20 degree frog + 25 degree bevel gives a 45 degree cutting angle with the standard block plane. You can get that same 45 degree angle with a 12 degree frog low-angle block plane by grinding a 33 degree bevel on your iron. And so on. It seems to me the low-angle is more versatile over all.

Mike Henderson
07-08-2015, 8:18 PM
An example: the 20 degree frog + 25 degree bevel gives a 45 degree cutting angle with the standard block plane. You can get that same 45 degree angle with a 12 degree frog low-angle block plane by grinding a 33 degree bevel on your iron. And so on. It seems to me the low-angle is more versatile over all.
Very good point. I had not thought of that before.

Mike