PDA

View Full Version : Incra Miter 5000 zero clearance issue

Scott Driemel
07-06-2015, 2:26 PM
Hello. I recently acquired the Incra Miter 5000 zero clearance miter saw sled. Nice looking piece of kit and so far so good. But I was wondering ... it is very nice to have the zero clearance aspect for around the throat insert to my cabinet saw for conventional tear out but ... what about the tear out from behind the blade as it exits the piece once the miter gage has taken the wood past the blade?

Using a conventional system, (a zero clearance table saw throat, and a back up piece for the wood being cut to eliminate 'blow out") both issues are covered. I'm surprised the Incra sled covers only the issue of the zero clearance table saw insert and not the rear facing tear out "blow out" from behind the piece once it is pushed entirely through. I'm not at home this minute and can't picture if there is a way to secure solidly a backer board idea to the miter's fence to cover this rear tear out. Or is it of such a miner issue that it can be ignored? Just seemed odd that such an expensive piece of gear didn't come with a 'backer board" of sorts to act as a renewable zero clearance backer. (or does everyone just throw a squared piece of wood on the fence & attach it with a clamp to cover this issue?)

If anyone else has the Miter 5000 and has either used a rear zero clearance addition or anyone who might have an opinion please chime in. I've always been under the understanding that wood should be supported from below & behind to ensure a clean splinter free cut. Am I missing the obvious or did Incra miss the boat on this? I also have their Incra I-box which is fully designed to accept replacement backer boards ... just can't figure why this one doesn't.

John C Bush
07-06-2015, 2:57 PM
I have this sled and haven't had issues with splintering. Hadn't really thought of it. You can easily add a sacrificial backup piece as needed. Great addition to the shop. I use mine all the time and getting accurate and repeatable cuts makes it worth the investment.