PDA

View Full Version : Best rattle can paint for used bar chairs.

Mike Monroe
07-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Enamel or acrylic? Rustoleum or Krylon, others?

I have to paint a couple gently used wooden bar chairs. A relative bought them used and wants them painted black. They look to be made out of rubber tree wood and finished with a dark wine toned commercial varnish. The finish is worn off in places along a few of the edges, but other than that they are in great shape - still solid and no major dings. I've sanded them down with 150 and primed them with Zinsser B-I-N Primer/Sealer, just need to decide whats the best can of spray paint I can get at a big box store. I'm leaning towards Rustoleum Professional Enamel, but I thought I'd get the hives input.

Scott Holmes
07-06-2015, 1:23 PM
Rustoleum Professional Enamel would be a good choice.

Rich Engelhardt
07-07-2015, 8:41 AM
90% or better of them used to be the same thing.
There were only a handful of places that packaged spray paints (put the paint in the spray can).
Seymour of Sycamore "owned" the market for years.

If you wanted spray paint, you bought it from them w/your label on the can.

I don't know if it's like that today or not. I suspect it probably is for the most part.

Bill White
07-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Rustoleum has the best nozzle. Atomizes well for a smooth spray.
Bill

Phil Thien
07-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Only thing I'll add to the discussion is that it takes at least a week for the paint to cure, to truly harden. Most people that complain about rattle cans didn't let the paint cure, they thought it was dry to the touch and ready to use. I've had rattle paint I've applied more liberally that took a good 2-3 weeks to fully cure. When I can't dent it with my fingernail, I know it is hard. I then wait another week.

Mike Monroe
08-03-2015, 10:18 AM
After action report. The rattle can spray paint job came out very, very nice. My daughter is very happy with how they look. I'll be using more of the Rustoleum Professional Enamel if the need arises.