PDA

View Full Version : Can I rub out wiping varnish?

Frederick Skelly
07-05-2015, 6:18 PM
Hi folks,
The long awaited Neander Hepplewhite-ish end table is nearly done. I followed Bob Flexner's recommendation and wiped on 5 coats of minwax wipe-on poly, gently sanding with 400 between each coat. I put the 5th coat on today and it's lovely. The satin finish adds just a bit of shine, but not so much that it shows all my planing imperfections.

Flexner said to let it dry a few days and then rub the dust out of the finish with a brown paper bag. I noticed (on an earlier coat) that doing so dulls the little bit of shine right out of that satin finish. I'd like to keep the tiny bit of shine if I can. So these are my questions. I'd appreciate any experience you can lend me.....
* Can I use an automotive swirl remover to polish it up a bit after using the paper bag? This is 5 coats of VERY THIN poly - I'd say it's equal to maybe 2 coats of brush on poly.
* How long should I let it cure before using the swirl remover? My shop is about 90* during the day.
* Is there another way to remove the little bit of dust without dulling the satin too much?

As always, thanks for your help!
Fred

Barry McFadden
07-05-2015, 9:50 PM
I have had good results on some projects by doing a final wipe with a cloth dipped in oil and a bit of Rottenstone powder....gives a very smooth finish.. There is also Pumice powder but it's a bit too abrasive for this kind of work..

Kent A Bathurst
07-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Fred -- I have always been cautioned against rubbing out poly.

Maybe Scott H or Steve S or Howie will jump in here - they are smarter than me on finishing.............

John TenEyck
07-06-2015, 10:48 AM
I sometimes use the brown paper bag approach to soften dust nibs. It's surprising but true that it can dull the sheen if you aren't careful. But if you put it on a foam padded rubber block and just take light strokes over the finish it usually does a good job.

I've rubbed out poly finishes before. You have to let it cure at least a week, and two or three is better. I did the old school way of using 600 or 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper with soapy water, followed by pumice, then rottenstone. If I were going to do it today I'd use Abralon: http://www.mirka.com/en/Abrasives/Abrasives_by-Application/?productgroup=Wood+Processing___3&product=ABRALON___8A0 You'd have to do some testing on scrap to see which grit or grits to use to give you the sheen you want.

John

Prashun Patel
07-06-2015, 10:55 AM
That tiny bit of shine will be knocked down through normal use as much as the paper bag, it will just happen slower. Rubbing with the bag will make it smoother quicker.

Scott Holmes
07-06-2015, 1:30 PM
5 wipe-on coats is still a pretty thin finish. After the brown paper bag (wet with mineral spirits, right?) use finer and finer abrasives... Abralon and Micro-Mesh are both good choices, to get the sheen your want. Start at 2000 or higher grit; your finish is thin. 400 or 600 could easily go through your finish.

Frederick Skelly
07-06-2015, 6:56 PM
Thanks very much guys! This is a great help to me!

I think I'll make up a test panel and practice a bit to get the "feel" of doing it. For example, I wasn't dampening the brown paper bag with mineral sprits - must've missed that - and I didn't realize I should let it sit for as long as 3 weeks before attempting this.

I also got a copy of Flexner's Understanding Wood Finishing today and that may fill in some blanks for me too.

I really appreciate your help. It's been a real journey making and finishing this piece, but it's a pretty little table and I'd like to finish it as well as my skills allow.

Thank you!
Fred