PDA

View Full Version : Byrd Shelical--

Phil Winn
08-17-2005, 2:45 AM
Byrd Shelical...how difficult is it to install these on the following:
Powermatic 15S Planer?
Powermatic PJ-882 Parallelogram 8" Jointer?
Delta (X5) DJ20 Jointer?

I use primarily highly figured woods like Quilted Mahogany,
Figured Bubinga, Curly Maple etc.

While I have been working with wood for many decades, and am fairly
handy with my hands, I do not have very much experience with
power tools. How much time does it take; how difficult;
special tools needed...? I am good at following directions...

I would prefer to purchase the above, then order the Byrd Shelicals
(back-ordered...) and install at a later date. The second option
would be for me to order the Bridgewood 8" Shelical Jointer and the Bridgewood 15" Shelical planer. These are available with either
the Byrd Shelical OR WITH Wilke's "Imported" Shelicals....the
Wilke tech and Sales-Reps both told me that their imported Shelicals
were "every bit a good as the Byrd Shelicals"....I am not sure if they are saying this because the Imported Shelicals are exact copies, or because the Byrd's are back-ordered....

So many things to think about...
Phil

Dave Tinley
08-17-2005, 9:21 AM
Phil-
I bought a used Bridgewood (same as the Powermatic) 15" planer, then ordered the Byrd head, it took about 7 weeks for it to come in. I downloaded the instructions at the Byrd site and it was about a 2-3 hour job. I replaced the bearings on each end of the shaft just because I didnt have a bearing puller. You have to becareful with the new byrd head, first off the cutters are very sharp, they like to inflict little paper cuts all over your hands, and second, you may chip or break some of the cutters during installation (they send you about a dozen spares).
I have issues with my new Byrd head, it leaves ridges along the length of the board.People on other forums have expressed similar problems, but I am thinking for nine hundred dollars, it should give me better results.
I contacted Gary at Byrd and we discussed the problems and I mailed them a piece of cherry that shows the problems I am having, but have not heard from him.
If I were to do it all over again, I think I wood buy a new planer with the head already installed and inspected at the factory. Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

Dave