PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift choices?

Jon Endres
07-05-2015, 3:16 PM
I'm looking for a router lift to be used in a standalone router table. My primary router is a Bosch 1617EVS so it has to fit that. I like to read reviews on things before I purchase, and I haven't seen anything in any of the magazines or on line lately that was recent (like within the past year or two). Can any one point me to a recent review article or give me their opinions on some of the better router lifts out there? I have no experience with them, my current system consists of a factory Bosch router base, attached to an old Rockler phenolic plate, mounted in my table saw wing. Everything I do with it has some level of annoyance - bit changes, height adjustments, etc. I'd like something simple, middle-of-the-road in price, not too high-tech, easily adjustable, and precise.

glenn bradley
07-05-2015, 3:42 PM
The smaller routers are generally easy to fit. When searching for a lift that had a hole that would allow my Milwaukee 5625 to raise high enough for bit changes I went with the original Woodpecker PRL. This lift and the original Bench Dog have gone the way of the Dodo but, there are decent new versions currently available. With the lighter router you can also look at things like the more open frame Rockler offerings. If you see yourself going to a more powerful motor in the future, I would buy a lift for that now and get the adapters.

Important things for me:
- above the table bit changes
- self-locking (or very easily locking) carriage
- plenty of leveling points
- easily changeable (and a wide variety of) throat inserts (or the ability to make your own)
- heavy duty, smooth, reliable height crank
- a built-in height scale of some sort is a nice touch
- built-in fence scales are also a nice touch

Things not so important in actual experience of use:
- digital height readout (I have DRO's on several other tools and love them. On the RT, not so big a deal.)
- Quick height yanker-thingy for bit changes (the few moments I gain make this low priority for me.

Others will have different priorities based on how they work and what they do.

Victor Robinson
07-05-2015, 3:45 PM
Hi Jon,

It seems most discussions of router lifts around here end up at the Jessem Mast-R-Lift II and the Woodpeckers PRL-V2. Both of these would be considered high-end lifts (though I'd argue the price difference between these and lesser models would soon be forgotten). They are both excellent and you will find numerous ecstatic users of both. Both will fit your router, however the Jessem will fit other router motors without any additional expense while the PRL-V2 would require $30 to change the motor pads. When you catch a sale or discount you are looking at around $300 for either of these router lifts. Note that they both come in an Incra-branded version which basically changes the plate inserts (area around the bit) to a magnetic style quick-change which some folks prefer. The PRL-V2 has a thumb-wheel for fine height adjustments while the Jessem uses a hex wrench. The PRL-V2 also has a quick-lift function so you can raise the router up rapidly for bit changes without winding the lift like you would when normally raising/lowering the bit. They are both built like tanks. You aren't really making any compromises with either of these lifts.

Apart from these two, there are other slightly lower-priced options. Fine Woodworking did a review (Oct 2013, vol 237). I have a PDF kicking around.

For the record, another reasonable option is the Triton routers (there are 2-1/4 hp and 3-1/4hp models), which function quite well in a router table (above-table one-wrench bit changes, excellent height adjustment, etc.) without a lift. I have a Triton in one of my tables, and I can tell you that the one-wrench bit change is so sweet. I far prefer changing bits on my Triton as opposed to two wrenches and winding the lift up on my Porter-Cable 7518/Jessem setup (though that's pretty darn easy too...lap of luxury here lol).

Rick Fisher
07-05-2015, 5:19 PM
I have 2 Jessem's . one with a PC 2 hp router.. it pretty much runs the 1/4" Bits .. and another larger one with a 7518 Router.. it runs the 1/2" Bits. . I think there are probably better lifts but I love the Jessem's .. Simple and work as advertised.

Jim Dwight
07-05-2015, 8:09 PM
My lift is home made and based upon plans in an old American Woodworker article. It slides on two 1 inch machined steel rods and uses a piece of 3/8 all thread to move the motor up and down. One turn thus moves the height 1/16 inch. Works well. I think all the parts were about $100, most came from McMaster Carr.