PDA

View Full Version : Tormek gouge jig on regular grinder?

Allan Wright
07-05-2015, 11:39 AM
I bought a used grinder. It has a homemade version of the wolverine system on it that works great for roughing gouges and standard grind gouges. It also has a Tormek system set up on one stone, but came with no attachments. I've already decided on getting the Tormek tool rest for sharpening scrapers. The question I have is for bowl gouges should I get the Tormek gouge jig for the bar, or one of the several jigs that would work with the wolverine attachment?

Here's what I'm working with in case my description isn't accurate:

Dwight Rutherford
07-05-2015, 11:47 AM
I have used a set up similar to yours for years. Only difference is I now have CBN wheels. I sharpen all of my gouges using the Tormek gouge jig. I prefer this set up to all others.

Allan Wright
07-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Fantastic! I'll spend the $100 there rather than on something else. Thanks for the quick reply.

Geoff Whaling
07-05-2015, 6:18 PM
Sharpening & grinders, now that's a lengthy subject in itself. Initially I learned hand sharpening in the 1970's then started with Wolverine style jigs when I re-found wood turning about 15 years back but fortunately migrated quickly to the Tormek system when shown how to use it correctly. Learning how to use the jigs you have properly is half the battle.

I have both, The Tormek T7 with the "Woodturners Kit" and the BGM100 mount for the conventional grinder. I like the flexibility and "best of both worlds" options they give me. I find the Tormek bowl gouge jig gives more flexibility & control with the shape of the grind on bowl gouges over "Wolverine style" jigs. This is far more pronounced with the skew chisel jigs if you use them as well.

The BGM100 mount on the conventional grinder speeds up the process of initial shaping of tool profiles plus transfers the high wear to relatively cheaper wheels on the conventional grinder. Very handy for fast sharpening when bulk roughing out bowl blanks. I tend to use the high speed grinder in "coast mode" with the wheel run up to speed then turned off when doing touch up sharpening for rough outs.

Allan Wright
07-06-2015, 10:39 AM
I tend to use the high speed grinder in "coast mode" with the wheel run up to speed then turned off when doing touch up sharpening for rough outs.

I definitely understand what you mean with this. Even though I have a variable speed grinder, it's minimum speed still seems fast to me. I had already started using this technique for touch ups. There's enough inertial for a touch up pass or two.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-07-2015, 11:34 AM
I have the Tormek and the grinder mount. Get the bowl gouge jig, it works well. I do not own the vastly more popular Wolverine, but I'm happy. I use the grinder to shape new tools.
I may eventually cave in to the CBN craze though. The replacement wheels for the Tormek is pricey.