PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Lap Desk

steven c newman
07-05-2015, 9:18 AM
Can be used as a Kitchen Office, also
Center dividers seperate front and back areas. That Black spot on the lid? Is a knot. kept it more for the swirly grain around it. Dovetails on the front corners ( showoff) but a simple butt-rebate in the back ones.
Closed up
The back does have a few knots, the edge on top is a Live Edge
Which is held in place with a few screws under Walnut plugs. Brass hinges
This shows the two dividers inside. They also support the Oak plywood bottom. Ah, but there is something inside of this..
On either side of the center divider, there are a pair of pencil grooves. Oak 2x2has been notched to fit, along with the divider. Dividers are glued into stopped Dados.
Went to a swap/meet&greet with a bunch of friends, swapped a few tools, stories, had a BIG feast to eat. Brought home a stack of free Maple boards. had to make something out of them. No written plans. Used the Single Brain Cell Sketch-up in my head. Works for me.. :D

Four coats of oil finish,....so far

Mel Fulks
07-05-2015, 10:51 AM
They are useful pieces, and that one is in the spirit of most that I've seen. Made because someone needs a desk NOW. Brings up an interesting point, must our modern work be better than the originals? You are enthusiastic and will stay with it and learn with each effort,be sure to share them here.

Mike Null
07-05-2015, 12:47 PM
I've had one of these on my to do list forever. You may be the inspiration for getting me started. My plan is to try a variation of the Jefferson desk.

Thanks for posting.

steven c newman
07-10-2015, 8:08 PM
Noticed something about the lid on this desk.
Besides all of that swirlly grain. That "T" shaped knot looks just like a "face" giving me a Razzleberry...
Uni-brow and all. The other knot is more of a heart shape..

Need to find more of this Maple type of wood....

Mel Fulks
07-10-2015, 9:03 PM
I see it ,too! So I would not take it personally....if I could help it . Why mee.....?