PDA

View Full Version : Mulberry Vases

Toby Bouder
07-04-2015, 8:49 PM
Here are two vases made from a Mulberry tree that my brother had cut down. The first two photos show one that is 7 inches tall by 3 inches wide the third photo shows one that is 5.5 inches tall by 4 inches wide. Finished with walnut oil.

Paul Williams
07-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Very nice. Will they retain the bright color or like so many woods slowly turn to shades of brown as they age.

Toby Bouder
07-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Very nice. Will they retain the bright color or like so many woods slowly turn to shades of brown as they age.

Pretty sure they will turn a reddish brown over time. Not sure about the sapwood though.

Allan Wright
07-05-2015, 11:41 AM
They look very nice. What tools/techniques did you hollow out the insides?

Toby Bouder
07-05-2015, 12:34 PM
They look very nice. What tools/techniques did you hollow out the insides?

Thanks Allan, I usually just drill out the center and then use a bowl gouge to remove the rest, cutting from the center toward the outside. 7 or 8 inches is about the deepest I can go using this technique though.

Allan Wright
07-05-2015, 1:09 PM
Thanks Allan, I usually just drill out the center and then use a bowl gouge to remove the rest, cutting from the center toward the outside. 7 or 8 inches is about the deepest I can go using this technique though.

They're end grain so scraping cut with the gouge I assume?

James Tibbetts
07-05-2015, 1:38 PM
The grain reminds me of ash. How does it compare for density?

Randy Red Bemont
07-05-2015, 2:38 PM
Beautiful vases. Love the wood.

Red

Toby Bouder
07-05-2015, 3:19 PM
They're end grain so scraping cut with the gouge I assume?
Yes, but I turn the flute slightly upward to get more of a cutting action. On the smaller one which has a mouth wider than the bottom, I used a finish cut the full length using the left wing of the gouge. It makes a pretty smooth cut.

Toby Bouder
07-05-2015, 3:20 PM
The grain reminds me of ash. How does it compare for density?

Not sure but I assume that mulberry is more dense, it is closely related to osage orange.

Allan Wright
07-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Yes, but I turn the flute slightly upward to get more of a cutting action. On the smaller one which has a mouth wider than the bottom, I used a finish cut the full length using the left wing of the gouge. It makes a pretty smooth cut.

Thanks I'll give tilting the gouge up a try. Sort of a shear scrape. Great idea.

Wes Ramsey
07-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Mulberry turns a mature brown over time. It has the feel of a dense wood, but is much lighter than you'd think. The mulberry I've messed with turned okay. I had quite a bit of tearout at first, but I was also a newbie turner at the time and was still working on my technique. The really dry wood I've turned did much better and turned easy.