PDA

View Full Version : Progress In Photos (PIP) while the oil cures

steven c newman
07-04-2015, 3:06 PM
Been playing in the shop for a few days. Working my way through some fancy hardwood boards. Finally got to the point of adding an oil finish to this thing
Maybe a look inside?
Two large knots, might as well"feature them, as the grain swirls around them. Back is a curly Maple
Yep, more knots.That edge above is part of the lid. Used a live edge as it was about the largest plank I had left.
Holding the top down is a few plug covered screws
Inside, there are some pen/pencil holders
two on each side of a center divider. Bottom is just some 1/4" Oak plywood. Brass hinges, four coats of oil finish...so far. Just playing around in the shop.

No real written plans, just "drew it up" in my head...The Infamous Single Brain Cell Sketch-up. :D

Richard Line
07-04-2015, 5:38 PM
That single cell worked pretty darn well.

steven c newman
07-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Grandson walked in the house tonight, took one look at this desk....declared it his. I guess he will be taking this one back home with him. Wouldn't want to a be "Mean, Old Grandpa", right?

Steve Kinnaird
07-06-2015, 12:54 AM
Looks nice.
My grandson is helping me put the new shop together.
I am sure he will want something :)

steven c newman
07-08-2015, 11:38 AM
To get thisbox off the top of the freezer, so I could get to my Ice Cream Sammiches, I placed this box out in the dinning room. It is sitting on the table, facing a south facing window......lid is now a few shades darker than the above pictures. Not sure IF it is a feature of the curly Maple, or something about the oil finish I used. Just a few coats of O'Sullivan's Furniture Polish. The swirlly grain around the knots is starting to really show off, as well.
Ok, since it is sitting about 8' away...
Didn't have a tripodhandy, though
Underside of the lid. I noticed a funny edge grain going on, too...
On the lower part, between the hinges, those aren't saw marks, as a handplane made that edge smooth. the "heart-shaped" knot?
Well, it does look close to a heart shape. Between the two knots, there is some wild grain. And yet, it was all planed smooth. Either a Millers Falls No. 9, or a Millers Falls No.14. Wonder IF a few drops of "superglue" would seal the knots?