PDA

View Full Version : Detailed metal engraving on a fiber

Gary Hair
07-04-2015, 11:17 AM
There was a post not too long ago about how the Chinese lasers supposedly didn't have the resolution to do fine work. I did a quick search but can't find it again so I decided to start a new thread. The attached image is the typical Aztec/Mayan calendar with all the detail that most people use on fairly large pieces, I have seen it lasered and cnc routed at 24" or even 36". Well, here it is at .75"! I ran it just three passes and got about .010 depth on some aluminum of an unknown alloy. That took about 15 minutes total. It's difficult to get a good image of the piece even using my (cheap) digital microscope, but you can clearly see the detail, more detail than you can see without magnification. I'm not trying to sell anyone on Chinese lasers, but picture is worth a thousand words.

Keith Winter
07-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Great work on the calendar Gary!

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-04-2015, 12:54 PM
Gary, From your last sentence, I'm guessing you used some sort of chinese fiber laser? It would help us all if you posted what type of engraver you used!

Gary Hair
07-04-2015, 3:44 PM
Gary, From your last sentence, I'm guessing you used some sort of chinese fiber laser? It would help us all if you posted what type of engraver you used!

It's a G Weike, 30 watt galvo fiber.

Patrick Smithwick
07-05-2015, 9:12 AM
I use a Chinese galvo fiber laser as well and couldn't be happier!

Ken Tan
07-22-2015, 10:53 AM
Great work Gary.

Couldn't wait to get my hand on the Weike.

Matt Geraci
07-23-2015, 1:16 AM
I'm looking for a galvo fiber to speed my process and to do some deeper metal engraving. Any recommended on brands/companies? Power recommendations?
Trotec speedmarks look nice, so far other sites and people I've talked to haven't produced as much info as I'd like? Any thoughts or experience on fiber galvos would be appreciated - potential new contract will require more speed. Laser may be in my future. Thx
Matt