PDA

View Full Version : Learning the Old Ways

Richard Wolgemuth
07-04-2015, 9:40 AM
I have been working the last year and a half or so trying to teach myself the old Neanderthal ways. My conversion has hit a couple snags. I have found it much more difficult to self teach than I did woodturning. I have watched tons of videos and somehow my results are not like theirs. My own learning style is more hands on. Right now my work schedule will not permit me time to travel and take a class somewhere. I am wondering if there are any Neanderthals in North Central Nebraska who would be interested in helping a young guy getting started. I would be more than happy to pay for the instruction. I just need some help getting started down the Neanderthal path.

Jim Koepke
07-04-2015, 10:03 AM
I think Harry Strasil Jr. lives in soutwest Nebraska. He doesn't post much these days.

Too bad you aren't in southwest Washington.

Much of my woodworking skill has been self taught. A lot of help came from here on Sawmill Creek.

Are there any specific tasks or procedures with which you need some guidance?

jtk

steven c newman
07-04-2015, 10:37 AM
If the videos you have been a-watching include the Woodwright's Shop ( pbs.org) keep in mind that those tools Roy uses are as SHARP as they can be. That is why his items seem to be so good. Spend a lot of time to get the tools sharp as can be. Your tools will work easier, and you will work a bit easier. Lay out the joints, and use a sharp knife to mark the lines. LEAVE the lines, too. Then you can fine tune things up, until you split a line.

Lay out a simple joint, like maybe a half lap. Square to mark the lines. Saw sharp? Use a sharp one. Cut on the WASTE sides of the lines. Grab a sharp chisel, and pare to the lines. Test the fit, and check for square. Refine as needed to get a good, tight, square joint. Practise this until it becomes second nature. Then move on to more adventures. Dovetails? Do a few a day on some scrap wood. Soon, they will start to be second nature, as well. Just takes a wee bit of practizing, is all.

Go to the local Library, order up all of Roy Underhills workbooks. Study them, do the "exercises" in them. Make notes ( renew the books that help the most) and practice, practice...well you get the idea..

Frederick Skelly
07-04-2015, 11:05 AM
If the videos you have been a-watching include the Woodwright's Shop ( pbs.org) keep in mind that those tools Roy uses are as SHARP as they can be. That is why his items seem to be so good. Spend a lot of time to get the tools sharp as can be. Your tools will work easier, and you will work a bit easier. Lay out the joints, and use a sharp knife to mark the lines. LEAVE the lines, too. Then you can fine tune things up, until you split a line.

Lay out a simple joint, like maybe a half lap. Square to mark the lines. Saw sharp? Use a sharp one. Cut on the WASTE sides of the lines. Grab a sharp chisel, and pare to the lines. Test the fit, and check for square. Refine as needed to get a good, tight, square joint. Practise this until it becomes second nature. Then move on to more adventures. Dovetails? Do a few a day on some scrap wood. Soon, they will start to be second nature, as well. Just takes a wee bit of practizing, is all.

Go to the local Library, order up all of Roy Underhills workbooks. Study them, do the "exercises" in them. Make notes ( renew the books that help the most) and practice, practice...well you get the idea..

Steven - if you could only buy one of Underhill's books, which would you suggest?

Brian Holcombe
07-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Roy's show is hilarious and also very good, genuinely insightful.

imo focus on technique via trial joints. Cut test joinery and do the best you can, see where you failed and redo the joint. Much of Neanderthal woodworking is be able to saw straight, pare flat and layout accurately. You will find what takes you seemingly forever to achieve the first time will take much much less time the next go-around.

Start with basic stuff like dovetails, half laps, bridles, mortise and tenon joints, rabbets, and so forth. Once you are able to do these with success then move onto more complicated joints.

Along the way you will begin to focus on flatness, accurate layout and accurate prep work.

I find the journey to be incredibly rewarding as I find that I am improving my ability. When I worked with machine tools I never felt that I had become a better woodworker, and now when I succeed in something I feel it is added to a personal toolbox of skills and ability.

Even if you return to machine tools you will have a much better understanding of process and results. When you can cut a flat panel, you better understand how to operate a jointer.

steven c newman
07-04-2015, 1:47 PM
The Woodwright's Workbook. Has pages of projects to do, and how to do them

As for dovetail practizing..
Taken a few tries to even get them like the front corner joint on this lap desk project..out of curly maple?

Nicholas Lawrence
07-05-2015, 7:36 AM
I have watched tons of videos and somehow my results are not like theirs. My own learning style is more hands on.

You are certainly not alone. Much of what I have learned about woodworking is the "feel" of the tool on the material, and that is not something that you can really pick up through a book or a video. I hope somebody can help you out, but if not I would encourage you to stick to it. I have made a lot of kindling over the years, but I have also learned a lot.

Tony Zaffuto
07-05-2015, 8:57 AM
Roy's show is hilarious and also very good, genuinely insightful.

imo focus on technique via trial joints. Cut test joinery and do the best you can, see where you failed and redo the joint. Much of Neanderthal woodworking is be able to saw straight, pare flat and layout accurately. You will find what takes you seemingly forever to achieve the first time will take much much less time the next go-around.

Start with basic stuff like dovetails, half laps, bridles, mortise and tenon joints, rabbets, and so forth. Once you are able to do these with success then move onto more complicated joints.

Along the way you will begin to focus on flatness, accurate layout and accurate prep work.

I find the journey to be incredibly rewarding as I find that I am improving my ability. When I worked with machine tools I never felt that I had become a better woodworker, and now when I succeed in something I feel it is added to a personal toolbox of skills and ability.

Even if you return to machine tools you will have a much better understanding of process and results. When you can cut a flat panel, you better understand how to operate a jointer.

150% agree with this suggestion! Make a point, from here on out, to use your handtools. instead of the chop saw, use a handsaw. So the joint you just cut needs squared? Well, use your shooting board! Don't have one? Make one! Handplane not sharp enough? Sharpen the blade!

The tools build on each other, but everything starts with basic techniques, using a handful of sharp tools. To St. Roy: when watching, do you ever see him use more than a few? How often do you see him use one of the "boutique" tools? My point is, just start and don't worry about "the right things" as much as just doing with what you have. Again with Roy, I don't remember the title, but I believe it was his most recent woodworking title, something like "Woodworking with wedge......???". I believe the book gave decent tool suggestions, maybe better than his earlier titles. For me, though, I would suggest looking up titles by Robert Wearing.

lowell holmes
07-05-2015, 10:18 AM
There are Woodcraft stores in Minden and Omaha. Woodcraft stores offer hands on classes. You might check with one of those stores.

Also, Google "Woodworking classes in Nebraska".

Jim Davis
07-05-2015, 3:57 PM
I still have lots to learn after decades of casual use of hand tools. The most useful lesson I've learned is to not settle for less than the best you can do. If a part will work but isn't right, make a better part.

Richard Wolgemuth
07-05-2015, 6:48 PM
There are Woodcraft stores in Minden and Omaha. Woodcraft stores offer hands on classes. You might check with one of those stores.

Also, Google "Woodworking classes in Nebraska".

Not sure where Minden is and I know there is not in fact a woodcraft in Omaha. If you check the website the closest one is in Kansas. There is a woodworking store in Omaha (only one in the state I am aware of) but again, a lot of their classes are not necessarily geared toward hand tools and then their is the scheduling issue. One big struggle I have is that as a pastor, I always work weekends which is when you find many classes/seminars.

Richard Wolgemuth
07-05-2015, 6:49 PM
I appreciate all the input guys. I will look into Roy's books. I just hope I can find someone for some hands on training. There is nothing quite like sitting at the feet of a master and learning.

lowell holmes
07-06-2015, 5:29 PM
Richard,
Have you seen the attached link?

http://www.midwestwoodworkers.com/classes/

I don't know if they are close. They do have a handcut dovetail class.

Matt Lau
07-06-2015, 6:51 PM
The woodwright books are great.

I'd recommend checking your library, or getting a used copy from Amazon.
However, I'd also submit that plywood can work just fine for your first workbench.

It tried to build mine 2 times with solid wood, but quit after beetles started crawling out of my bench the second time!

Then, I bought a blum bench and was happy.

Richard Wolgemuth
07-07-2015, 7:18 AM
Yes, I am familiar. They are about 4 hours from where I am at. I have seen their hand cut dovetails class and am very interested in taking it if my schedule allows.

lowell holmes
07-07-2015, 7:53 AM
If you will take that class, you will learn enough woodworking fundamentals to start you on your journey.