PDA

View Full Version : Furnace Filter Question

Bill Reibelt
07-03-2015, 7:52 PM
Please advise what Furnace Filter is and any other name that it could go by, I will then source it locally I am building a filter box to remove smoke from the exhaust pipe.
Thank you for any answers.
Bill Reibelt
Australia

Bill Reibelt
07-03-2015, 8:55 PM
Sorry to all members, I have to learn to use the internet before asking stupid questions.
Thank you.

gary l roberts
07-04-2015, 8:32 AM
NO worries mate.....we all need a little help now and again.

Lee DeRaud
07-04-2015, 9:44 AM
Ok, now I have to know: what do they call them down there?

Bill George
07-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Please advise what Furnace Filter is and any other name that it could go by, I will then source it locally I am building a filter box to remove smoke from the exhaust pipe.
Thank you for any answers.
Bill Reibelt
Australia

A good pre-filter is a pleated paper one with a MERV rating of at least a 7, they come in difference thicknesses, 1 inch is more common.

Gary Hair
07-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Ok, now I have to know: what do they call them down there?

Can't answer that for you but just don't ask for a napkin to wipe your face...

Glen Monaghan
07-04-2015, 4:16 PM
Higher MERV rating means you'll trap finer particles but at the cost of greater resistance to airflow than with lower MERV numbers. More surface area means you have less resistance to airflow and longer filter life than if you have less surface area. Surface area with pleated filters comes from XY filter size, filter thickness, and number of pleats in the filter. The higher the MERV you use, the greater the surface area you'll want to minimize airflow restrictions. A 1 inch thick pleated filter is more common (typical for furnace filters), but a 4" or 5" thick filter (often called a whole-house filter) of the same XY dimensions will restrict airflow less and last longer before becoming clogged.

I'd recently begun to notice that smoke wasn't clearing very well in my laser and realized it was probably past time to change the prefilter again, and that I'd wanted to change the final HEPA filter when I last changed the prefilter, but didn't have one on hand at that time. The prefilter was, in fact, thickly coated with crud and the HEPA was definitely darkened, so I replaced both. Also looked at the gray coating over the entire surface of both activated charcoal trays, stirred them and found the dusty coating was throughout the trays. After weighing them, I decided to replace the activated charcoal as well. Since I had the cabinet open and all the filters removed, and it was a slow day, I finally pulled the 8" fan and its mounts, recut the the mounts to fit a 12" fan that I had picked up for greater air movement, and installed the larger fan. Wish I'd measured flow rate before and after changing the filters, and then before and after changing the fan, but didn't think about it until I was buttoning everything back up. Regardless, smoke now clears significantly faster than before the replacements! Whereas at the front of the bed farthest from the exhaust, smoke used to curl up and drift to the rear, now it ejects out of the kerf, rises maybe half an inch, and heads horizontally straight back to the exhaust vents. Should help tremendously with keeping the lens cleaner.

Lee DeRaud
07-06-2015, 1:12 AM
Can't answer that for you but just don't ask for a napkin to wipe your face...True that.