PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press power question

Scott Brandstetter
07-03-2015, 7:46 PM
I have an old, floor stand drill press, and tonight I ran into a problem. I chucked up a 1 3/4 inch forstner bit and went to drill through some ash. I had the speed set around 1700 and it would not go through the wood very well at all. I made sure it was chucked tight, and the belts were definitely tight, but it would bog down enough to stop the spinning.

Is this an issue of an under powered drill or should I have dropped to even a slower speed. Would appreciate any help.

Bill Miltner
07-03-2015, 8:21 PM
Based on drill speed charts I have the speeed would be set between 250 and 500, hardwoods vs softwoods. I suspect the 1700 speed is way too ugh and causing the bit to overheat badly. JMHO

daryl moses
07-03-2015, 8:44 PM
Sounds like a dull drill bit to me....

Mike Cutler
07-04-2015, 6:40 AM
Slow that bit way down. 1700 rpm is the range of smallish' twist drill bits, and softer materials.
I hate to say it, but if you kept trying to force that bit into the material, you may have to put a new leading edge on the bit.
Forstner bits are low speed. Even the smaller ones are < 600 rpm. 1 3/4" is probably <250 rpm.

Lee Schierer
07-04-2015, 7:45 AM
There is not nearly enough information to give you advice. What Hp is the motor? How this was the piece of wood? 1700 rpm is a bit fast for a forstner bit.

Rick Lizek
07-04-2015, 8:05 AM
Most people see problems, less see solutions. From your description of the event I would say you have no training, didn't read anything on the subject. After reading the net for 22 years I'm convinced no one be allowed to buy anything without training. That would certainly cut down on doctors incomes and insurance claims.

Funny how many guys keep thinking if something isn't going as planned they need s bigger motor. When I worked as a tech for a dealer guys always wanted to up grade the motor on their contractor saw because it would bog down trying rip oak. What do you expect using a 60 t combo blade. Rip blade, problem solved. Apparently problem isn't a genetic inclusion in most people. A few...

I would say there was enough info in this post.
Problem solving giving more info is best. I would say people start in the middle and leave the beginning and end off.

My my job is problem solving. I try to go to a shop one with right parts and to do this I have to play 100 questions. Someone saying "My jointer is broken, come fix it ". I actually have had many calls like that.

glenn bradley
07-04-2015, 8:05 AM
Same general response as others; speed for that hole in ash would be around 250 RPM, bit should be sharp (Forstners are easy to touch up) and material clamped to the table. Even a baby-bench-top should spin a 1-3/4" Forstner through ash.