PDA

View Full Version : Gloat-Basic Pinless Moisture Meter Sale

Dan Bayliss
06-06-2003, 4:01 AM
I just have to share my latest find.
Just a small gloat and heads up for anyone looking for an inexpensive basic pinless moisture meter. For the past year or so I have been trying to justify the cost of a moisture meter; I decided on a pinless type but really couldn't spring for one since the least expensive units were well over $100 -too many tools wanted and too few dollars to go around.

Then last week I happened upon a clearance sale over at Accurate-Technology where they were clearing out their old Merlin brand pinless meters for 75%off. That's right, digital pinless meter with six specific gravity settings, rubber boot, soft vinyl case w/ belt clip, and 9V battery delivered for less than $75 (Orig.$239). This meter is made in Austria and compares favorably to the Wagners specs. with a density range of .35g/cm3 to .67 g/cm3, resolution of .1%, and measurement range between 4-99% (4-20% accuracy range). The one I bought scans to a depth of 8mm, but they had several models listed that scanned at different depths. There are differences between the Wagners and the Merlins; Accurate-Technology has replaced the Merlins with a branded Wagner model of their own. A nice unit in itself, and the reason I happened upon the clearance page.

Again these are clearance models so the selection is limited, but take a look if you are interested. I think they are being pulled in the next two weeks (June 18,03) for donation so take a look if interested.
I just got mine today UPS and I am happy to say it is as advertised. I have no affiliation with Accurate-Technology other than this first time successful purchase with which I am pleased. Feel free to email me if you have any questions, and I hope this helps fill someone's tool box.

Dan

Jim Becker
06-06-2003, 8:58 AM
A moisture meter should be in every woodworking shop to help insure that materials are "ok" to use in a project. Good find. Thanks for sharing!

Ken Garlock
06-06-2003, 11:10 AM
I too ordered the Merlin moisture meter and the calibration plate, but I must say that I was rather irritated by their add-on costs.:(

1) Estimated shipping PER ITEM was $12.25, Absurd for ground UPS! Buy two items and the shipping jumps to $24.50.

2) Small order penalty of $25.00

Accurate Technology does not know what business it is in, and that is CUSTOMER SERVICE. Their products include moisture meters and digital measuring devices, but they are in the CUSTOMER SERVICE BUSINESS. They just haven't figured that out yet. :mad:

Yes, the total cost was much less than list price, but I still feel that I got s****ed, and never got kissed.:rolleyes:

Bill Esposito
06-06-2003, 2:09 PM
Dan,

Thanks, I got the last .5" one. They still have some 1.5" ones but I thought that would be too big for those uf us who usually use 5/4 or less wood.

According to the sales rep, this meter averages the reading over it's range, so if you took the 1.5" one and used it on a 1" board, it would also average in .5" of air space and skew the reading. He did say what you normally would do is stack 2 boards, but then you never know the content of the individual boards.

With the .5", to measure 4/4 or 5/4 wood you would just take a reading from each side and average them.

Ken,

I called them and ordered over the phone. I asked about the $25 and I was told that it didnt include the closeout items so I dont think you will be charged for that. I was also told there was a $7 handling fee...now I dont know if that's included in the $13 shipping price or not since UPS to ship one of these meters isnt even 5 bucks. Maybe Dan can break out what his cost....but good deal in any event.

Dan Bayliss
06-07-2003, 1:30 AM
Bill,

Glad to hear you got one too. Freight was listed as $11.99 with no mention of handling, but it is obviously an included part of the shipping charge. Too bad you got the last .5 inch model, same as the one I picked up, it is a nice unit. Its a shame they didn't have a lot more. The vener unit looked interesting for checking finishes and the 1.5" unit is listed as the "sawmill" model by Merlin(might be good for turning blanks?). The Merlin web site lists a 3/4 to 1" unit also but not availible at clearence; but I believe the Carbtech site lists it for $500+ Aus. dollars.

The .5 inch unit really is more like a 1/4 to 1/3 inch unit, but as you mentioned by flipping the board you can get a good idea of moisture content on 4/4 stock. I don't think the 8mm depth of read is an issue if you consider how small some of the pin units pins are and how deep those pins get pushed into the wood.

You really have to careful about those shipping charges. It is so easy to loose any savings and end up paying more than is reasonable. I just bought a small plastic valve for less than $5 and paid a full $5 for the shipping, and this was after requesting USPS vs UPS. Of course they sent it "next day" instead of the $1 envelope route I was expecting. I seem to learn new lessons everyday and keep paying as I go.

Dan