PDA

View Full Version : help with installing spiral cutter in 15" Grizzly 1021 planer

Thomas O Jones Jr
07-03-2015, 2:44 PM
I've taken my 1021 down to the point where the cutter head is supported only by the bearings. Hammering hard on the cutter head end in the gear box has moved the cutter head about 1/8th of an inch. The bearing on the long end shows 1/8" outside the head. It will not budge even with hard hammering. I'm thinking of taking the head off and going to a machine shop with a press. Any thoughts? I would prefer not to go to that extreme. Thanks for your thoughts! Tom

Shiraz Balolia
07-03-2015, 7:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBwmzacZFSs

Mike Chalmers
07-04-2015, 7:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBwmzacZFSs

Not the same planer. Quite different.

Rick Fisher
07-04-2015, 9:48 PM
Not the same planer. Quite different.

At the end of the video that Shiraz posted, it says if you have any further questions, call the service line at *** *** **** .. I recently removed the planer head from an entirely different type of planer and had the same type of issue. It had a pair of snap rings hidden away which had to be removed. As soon as I knew that, It was an easy job.. I think calling the service folks for help would answer that question.

Thomas O Jones Jr
07-05-2015, 12:14 PM
At the end of the video that Shiraz posted, it says if you have any further questions, call the service line at *** *** **** .. I recently removed the planer head from an entirely different type of planer and had the same type of issue. It had a pair of snap rings hidden away which had to be removed. As soon as I knew that, It was an easy job.. I think calling the service folks for help would answer that question.

I will look for a hidden snap ring. The G1021 planer I have has the table adjustment wheel on top not on the side as is shown in the video from Grizzly. Looks like the cutter head can only be removed from the side away from the gear box. I spoke with the service folks and they agreed with my assessment on the removal. Thanks for your help!