PDA

View Full Version : going to my first show

Jim Ketron
08-16-2005, 11:55 PM
I applied for a juried craft show Sun night, and got my approval Mon. :D The show is about 20 miles from home.
So I guess I need to get busy making bowls, hollow forms, and platters for the high end items pens, scoops for the low end items. Oh and magic wands for the kiddies ;)
I might try a few other items too, I'm just limited on time to get things done. The show dates are Oct 14,15,16
If you guys have any other ideas on small items you think would sale good that do not take much time to do I would like to here them?
I also need to get a canopy, man they are expensive :(
I guess I will get a medium price one to start out with and upgrade later if I continue to do shows. There are a few other showes locally that I can get into, so I will be using it more than once a year.
Here is a link to the show
http://www.homecraftdays.com/index.html (http://www.homecraftdays.com/index.html)

Harry Pye
08-17-2005, 12:11 AM
How about weed pots, ring holders, honey dippers and acorn style ornaments. Bob Rosand makes a lot of this sort of thing expressly for craft shows. He has had a number of articles in American Woodturner and the AAW offers a video of him making this sort of thing out of scrap wood.

And good luck with the show!

John Hart
08-17-2005, 6:40 AM
Congratulations on being accepted to the show Jim. I doesn't surprise me, given the great work you do. I've been toying with an idea that I haven't gotten around to yet....Miniature tool sets. It seems you can get miniature tools (screwdrivers, allen sets, etc.) and turn nice handles then put them in a small bandsaw box. Might make a nice gift for a hobbyist.

Jack Savona
08-17-2005, 7:02 AM
Congratulations, Jim, on being accepted!

Two ideas for you:
1. Magic Wands for the Harry Potter Parents and Grandparents to give their kids (search WC for a super-quick procedure John K. Jordan used this past July 16th for the new Potter book).
2. Bottle (wine) stoppers. If you think you may have tourists there, consider some stoppers with Virginia quarters inlaid in the top. I'm wholesaling them with our States' quarters to gift shops and wine stores up here in Maine and New Hampshire and man do they sell!

Jack

Richard Wolf
08-17-2005, 8:41 AM
Do yourself a favor and don't buy any other canopy but an EZ UP. The last thing you need in the morning of setting up is to fight with a canopy.
Even if this is not what you want to do, they are great canopies for picnics and BBQ's or they are easy to sell to other crafters.
I have ten years of craft experience with my wife with alot of stories to go with them.
Good luck.

Richard

Ed Lang
08-17-2005, 9:35 AM
Good luck!

I hope you can take lots of pictures and share with us here.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-17-2005, 9:38 AM
Jim....congrats on getting accepted. I'd wish you "Good Luck!" but with the quality of your work, you don't need it!

Ernie Nyvall
08-17-2005, 6:18 PM
Congratulations Jim. From what I've seen of your work, you've certainly earned it.

I wouldn't know if they sell well, but a rolling pin turns pretty quick and the finish is just mineral oil.

Ernie

Michael Stafford
08-17-2005, 8:39 PM
Jimbo, I never had a doubt that you would get in after seeing your work in person. Most excellent. My wife did the art show circuit many years ago and we had all the equipment, display stuff and a canopy. What a pain. Don't forget to take some sheet plastic in case you have to cover everything up in a hurry. A roll of large trash or leaf bags can save your inventory in a pinch. My best advice is do your best work, which is the only way you know to do things and don't sell your work too cheap. It is premium work and deserves a premium price.... ;) :) Good luck!!!! :D

Bill Pealer
08-17-2005, 9:03 PM
Hi Jim,
I am not on this forum as much as IAP but do show up to read. Congrats on the show, passed by the college last Sunday while traveling to/from a funeral. I live in Bristol. Have you tried Sam's Club for your tent? They seem to have better prices than most.

Jim Ketron
08-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks Big Mike for the tips and the kind words;)
I have a EZ up canopy on order found a good deal on Ebay.:D
Thanks for all the ideas and tips Guys!

Dawn Sunkle
08-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Jim, first of all congrats on getting accepted. But I have to agree with everyone else.. with your quality of work.. I'm not surprised :)

second.. I keep coming back to this to try and think of things that I would either want to sell or want to buy. And the things that come to mind are Candle Sticks and honey dippers.

Can't wait to hear how it goes. I know your display will be awesome.

Dawn

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
08-18-2005, 9:24 PM
Congratulations, Jim. Hope you have a great show. Another small item that you might try would be Ruth's coffee scoops. They are easy and look great.