PDA

View Full Version : Tim from the customer service department

Stephen Tashiro
07-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Does anyone else get scam calls on their cell phone from "Hi, This is Tim from the customer service department. Can you hear me? ... Good. " ?

I only expect such things on the land line.

The most common scams on the local phone system are automotive warranties ("The factory warranty on your vehicle has expired") and medical devices such as medical alert systems. Tim probably has a device that's ready to ship to me, but I've never listened to the entire message to find out.

glenn bradley
07-03-2015, 12:56 PM
For a perfect bedding to grow a coral reef on, just sprinkle the telemarketers on top of the layer of lawyers already installed.

Lee Schierer
07-03-2015, 2:17 PM
The ones I really hate are the newer automated calls that ask a question and pause waiting for your answer, then go on with their spiel so you think you are talking to a real person. I don't know how many Caribbean Cruises and stays at luxury resorts I have won that I didn't even know there was a contest for.

Jim Koepke
07-03-2015, 4:35 PM
What bothers me is we have a national "do not call list" that has no one to enforce it.

It is kind of like murder being illegal, but if there were no enforcement, there is no deterrent.

jtk

Larry Frank
07-03-2015, 7:37 PM
Hello...this is Rachael from card services.

I hate Rachael

Jerry Thompson
07-03-2015, 7:44 PM
I tell them that Mr. Thompson has just passed away. One jerk asked. "Is there anyone else I can speak with?" My land line is going dark after the 11th.

Lee Schierer
07-03-2015, 9:01 PM
What bothers me is we have a national "do not call list" that has no one to enforce it.

It is kind of like murder being illegal, but if there were no enforcement, there is no deterrent.

jtk

The PA attorney general does pursue these robocallers, but the robocallers shift phone numbers pretty often so there isn't much the enforcement people can do. I bet teh phone compnaies could stop them if they wanted to but I'm sure they enjoy the income.

A while back, We kept getting robocalls listing their phone number as a local business. "Bob's Gun Shop." The owner was not pleased when I told him about the robocalls. I'm not sure if he did anything but shortly after I informed him of the calls spoofing his number they stopped.

Sometimes, I will simply leave the phone laying on the side of the table until I hear the off the hook beeping tone. At least I tied up there system for a few minutes.

Steve Kinnaird
07-03-2015, 11:42 PM
I am going to call a lawyer in Orlando that claims they can get me up to $,500 per unwanted call.
I get 2 or 3 a day.

Moses Yoder
07-04-2015, 5:45 AM
My father was a sucker for a sexy female voice and someone once bilked him out of thousands of dollars. He borrowed money for an investment scam from a home equity loan. I only learned of this after he passed away; they were always to embarrassed to admit it. My mother never said how much it was but the bank shut down their home equity line of credit because of the amount borrowed versus their income. In this case there was a class action law suit and some of the money was returned but not nearly all of it. I say this hoping that it won't happen to anyone else's parents. I haven't had a land line in years and do not get any scam calls on my cell.

Joe Kieve
07-04-2015, 8:29 AM
"Hello...Don't hang up! This call is from your credit card company. There are no problems with your card, however...". I never know what comes after "however" because I always hang up.

Larry Frank
07-04-2015, 10:44 AM
I am amazed at the number of both phone and email type scams. It seems that the government is too busy or does not care. How often do we read or hear about one of them getting caught.

Of course, I am totally disgusted with our governments computer security capability. They can not even protect themselves. I worked for a very large global company and they had very strict computer security and the software was constantly updated. Of course they monitored all computers for suspicious activity..and everything was backed up constantly. If your computer went bad, they could have a new one with all your files in 24 hours.

Please do not take my comment as a political comment, just the facts.