PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July

David Ragan
07-02-2015, 7:09 PM
Howabout an apolitical 4th of July thread? Like, what is one thing that you mostly think about when considering the 4th? Something besides the obvious.

Here's mine.

With all the beating up on the French the last few decades, they deserve a huge amount of credit for helping us out with blockading the Chesapeake Bay. IIRC, it took pressure off our troops so we could soundly rout the English @ Yorktown. Of course, the French were too eager to frustrate the Brits all throughout history, especially with the Colonies.

And, we all know that beating Cornwallis(?) @ Yorktown was huge.

Scott Donley
07-02-2015, 7:45 PM
A good time to read about why.

The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America,

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Kent A Bathurst
07-02-2015, 9:18 PM
I don't know about the rest of youse guys, but I have been an avid listener of NPR for many decades.

One thing I have always looked forward to is their reading of the Declaration of Independence on July 4th. The voices I know and love, reading that sacred document.

10 years ago, or so, they changed the line up in the reading. To my dismay. I will still wait anxiously for the broadcast on the 4th, but... Here is the original,which includes the inestimable Red Barber, whom I dearly miss............

"........these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States..............we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor"

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=5526473&m=5530828

Moses Yoder
07-03-2015, 5:24 AM
I really enjoy the bratwurst. I like a good quality bun preferably white, and then I grill them to perfection. I use precooked ones and put them over a medium heat until the grease starts dripping out of them. Some people heat them too long and they dry out which is no good. I sautee onions prior to grilling the brats and then use just mustard and some of the onions. A side dish of potato salad is good. I would like to blow up a couple anvils but have been unsuccessful at arranging that. I don't want to try it with my grandfather's anvil so eventually I will have to buy two more anvils.

Brian W Smith
07-03-2015, 5:52 AM
My twins B-day is the 6th.....so along with the "obvious",there's usually a pretty decent sized party here.It's fun because we never really get a head count 'till maybe a few hrs before the party.Might be 10 guests....could be 40?So it's a,......"you grab this,we'll snag that" affair.Happy 4th.

Keith Outten
07-03-2015, 7:09 AM
The accomplishments of America's first Veterans are second to none in the history of our country. I live just across the York River from the Yorktown Battlefields and I fly the American Flag with 13 stars on the 4th of July. Visit the Battlefields if you can and Cornwallis Cave if you are ever in the area.

Its good that the British have become our friends since our humble beginnings and America has repaid our debt to the French people in full.

Enjoy your holiday this weekend and be safe everyone.

Lee Schierer
07-03-2015, 8:17 AM
As an Air Force Brat and Naval Officer, I've traveled to a number of countries and have seen some pretty amazing things. Despite where I've gone and what I've seen, the thing I like the most is returning to the good old USA. It was always great to see the stars & stripes flying. No matter what your beliefs or leanings are this country is sure a nice place to be a part of and a great place to live.

Frederick Skelly
07-03-2015, 8:21 AM
With all the beating up on the French the last few decades, they deserve a huge amount of credit for helping us out with blockading the Chesapeake Bay. IIRC, it took pressure off our troops so we could soundly rout the English @ Yorktown. Of course, the French were too eager to frustrate the Brits all throughout history, especially with the Colonies.

I recently finished reading a history of the Revolutionary War. I learned a lot I didn't know.
* I learned that france pumped massive amounts of money into the nascent United States. It wasn't just one or two loans. It was multiple gifts plus loans. That mattered a great deal and made a big difference. My reading is that the Colonies COULD NOT have won without this.
* Washington almost had to give up. It was closer than most of us realize, 240 years later. (Those loans helped him in multiple ways.)
* I came away unimpressed with the much heralded Lafayette. He sounded like a vain young careerist who knew relatively little from what I could tell, and pretty much "sucked up" to his boss - Washington.
* The french intended to have the young United States end up effectively a client state, heavily dependent upon them if the revolution succeeded. John Adams and others worked hard to back "us" out of that corner.
* Spain was actually involved against england and originally intended to take back some of her lost territory if the Colonies won.

On a totally different bent, I always remember two other things about the 4th, one sad and one happy.
* The battle of Gettysburg ended the day before. Those guns were stilled.
* One of the very early space shuttle flights landed on July 4 on national TV.

Fred

Tony Zona
07-03-2015, 9:41 AM
Preparing that document took courage.

Signing it was tantamount to signing their own death warrants had the revolution failed, and it came close to failing.

The founders and those who followed left us with a free society that we cherish and must leave for our children.

My only misgiving: I mourn that the signers absolutely did not mean " . . . that all men are created equal . . . ." Many of us have paid dearly for that empty phrase. I wish it had been true.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2015, 9:58 AM
I am thankful everyday for being born in this country.

While nothing administered by man is perfect, the American dream is still attainable with multiple examples within my own immediate family. We still have the ability to attain that of which we dream, if we are willing to work hard enough and make the necessary sacrifices.

Mel Fulks
07-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Washington was a good judge of carachter and did not employ toadies. Lafayette had lots of good qualities and spent much of his own money on our cause. Taught himself English on the ship that brought him over. He did use his fame to charm women as any one would.

Dave Anderson NH
07-03-2015, 1:58 PM
It is important to remember that all of the founding fathers were human beings, complete with the flaws that all of us have. Each was both selfless and selfish, all had an axe to grind, and most were relatively wealthy compared to the vast majority of other colonists. Irregardless, they fashioned a government out of 13 disparate and often wrangling colonies each with its own agenda. That in itself borders on miraculous. We have come a long way from July 2nd 1776 and this republic of ours will continuously need to be tweaked and adjusted. No government is perfect nor will one ever get to perfection. We have made a damn good start though.

Frederick Skelly
07-03-2015, 2:27 PM
Washington was a good judge of carachter and did not employ toadies. Lafayette had lots of good qualities and spent much of his own money on our cause. Taught himself English on the ship that brought him over. He did use his fame to charm women as any one would.

Well Mel, you may be more knowledgable on the revolutionary period than I am and I sure respect that. But I didn't get that impression from the (admittedly single) source I read.

I can say that General Washington, like many of us, did indeed misjudge character at times. For example, he did not read Benedict Arnold correctly and was nearly captured by the brittish as a result.

Frederick Skelly
07-03-2015, 2:31 PM
It is important to remember that all of the founding fathers were human beings, complete with the flaws that all of us have. Each was both selfless and selfish, all had an axe to grind, and most were relatively wealthy compared to the vast majority of other colonists. Irregardless, they fashioned a government out of 13 disparate and often wrangling colonies each with its own agenda. That in itself borders on miraculous. We have come a long way from July 2nd 1776 and this republic of ours will continuously need to be tweaked and adjusted. No government is perfect nor will one ever get to perfection. We have made a damn good start though.

+1. With thanks to Veterans like you Dave. Happy 4th of July.

Mel Fulks
07-03-2015, 2:59 PM
Knew that Arnold deal would come up! He was one of those true talents who never feel they are adequately appreciated and sulk into deceit. Lafayett's return to US is an interesting story . Cities erected giant wooden arches of triumph and held lavish banquets for him. Old soldiers who were recognized by him burst into tears. He did enjoy fame ,Jefferson said he had "a canine appetite" for publicity. He took a box of American soil back to France to be part of his grave.

Kent A Bathurst
07-03-2015, 4:22 PM
.....July 2nd 1776..............

Annnnd.....

We have a winner. An educated, historically precise, scholar.

What we know as The Declaration of Independence was published on July 4, as a vehicle to explain to the Colonies, and the World, why the Lee Resolution - originally proposed by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia on June 7 - was adopted on July 2.

So - the true date on which action was taken was July 2, as Dave points out.

But - the PR guys cranked it up on the 4th, and that is what we celebrate.

Dave Anderson NH
07-03-2015, 5:04 PM
Reading real history instead of the shortened, softened, bowdlerized pabulum which was fed to us in school can be a real awakening. If you look deeply into the Declaration written by Adams and Jefferson you do indeed see most of what RH Lee wrote earlier and to carry it even further both borrow heavily from John Locke and Rousseau and other Enlightenment authors in their writings, often verbatim. The formation of the American Confederation and later the USA is a complex and fascinating story. Right now I'm slowly wading through one of the most alluded to "documents" in our history. The quotation marks are there because it is not actually a document but rather a series of newspaper articles that together make up The Federalist Papers. The papers are referred to often when discussing/arguing about the intent of the founding fathers and all kinds of issues surrounding our constitution and the powers of government. Unfortunately few who quote them or cite them have actually read all of them. Between the differences in the writing styles of Hamilton, Madison, and Jay, the ornate 18th century language, the repetition between individual papers, and the constant references to classical Greek and Roman literature and government, it is very slow going. It is however a fascinating sales pitch and well worth the time if you have a serious interest in our history.

Howard Garner
07-03-2015, 5:14 PM
Most remember the battles from Virginia and north.
But the South had several battles that were decisive in the large scheme of the war
Just to mention some of the local ones.
The Battle of 96 (South Carolina)
The Battle of Cowpens (South Carolina)
The Battle of Kings Mountain and the Over Mountain men (North Carolina just over the border from SC)

Howard, a transplanted Yankee, Garner

Frederick Skelly
07-03-2015, 5:29 PM
Most remember the battles from Virginia and north.
But the South had several battles that were decisive in the large scheme of the war
Just to mention some of the local ones.
The Battle of 96 (South Carolina)
The Battle of Cowpens (South Carolina)
The Battle of Kings Mountain and the Over Mountain men (North Carolina just over the border from SC)

Howard, a transplanted Yankee, Garner

Yeah, we forget about that. I can't recall the details, but Francis Marion ("The Swamp Fox") gave the brits a serious hard time. That man had nerve. I stumbled across his gravesite while wandering once. It's tucked into a woods just a bit off a busy road in SC. Beautiful resting place for another Hero.

David Ragan
07-04-2015, 8:09 AM
Yeah, we forget about that. I can't recall the details, but Francis Marion ("The Swamp Fox") gave the brits a serious hard time. That man had nerve. I stumbled across his gravesite while wandering once. It's tucked into a woods just a bit off a busy road in SC. Beautiful resting place for another Hero.
Buffalo Bill's grave site off I-25 overlooks the backside of Colorado's 'front range' just west of Denver

Mark Blatter
07-04-2015, 9:24 AM
Two thoughts.

1. Washington is one of the most underrated generals and characters from history. Who today (this is not meant to be political at all, but human nature) from any political party, would do what he did? He did not accept becoming the King of the new country, he stepped down after two terms, setting a precedent for almost 150 years. Our country would not be around if not for him.

2. We focus too much, or perhaps tend to ignore, the years immediately after the war ended. The second Constitutional Convention and how the current Constitution came about. I watch what has happened during and in the aftermath of the 'Arab Spring' and wonder how the Founding Fathers did it.

Perspective is critical too. We call it a war of revolution, or a war to determine our own destiny. The Brits call it the war of insurrection, a rebellion against our lawful King and Ruler.

Frederick Skelly
07-04-2015, 9:50 AM
Two thoughts.

1. Washington is one of the most underrated generals and characters from history. Who today (this is not meant to be political at all, but human nature) from any political party, would do what he did? He did not accept becoming the King of the new country, he stepped down after two terms, setting a precedent for almost 150 years. Our country would not be around if not for him.

2. We focus too much, or perhaps tend to ignore, the years immediately after the war ended. The second Constitutional Convention and how the current Constitution came about. I watch what has happened during and in the aftermath of the 'Arab Spring' and wonder how the Founding Fathers did it.

Perspective is critical too. We call it a war of revolution, or a war to determine our own destiny. The Brits call it the war of insurrection, a rebellion against our lawful King and Ruler.

I've always wanted to read a brittish textbook describing it from their perspective. My guess is that it would look like a northern description of the American civil war. I have read some brittish views that the king seriously screwed up and inflamed things.

Washington was a good and honorable man. He did far more good than harm and you're right - the Nation might not exist if not for him. But he was human and made mistakes like everyone else does.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-04-2015, 10:13 AM
The problem with reading "history" IMO is that it can often take on the personal, biased view of the writer. Thus I think you have to "filter" what you read with a little skepticism paying more attention to the overall "flavor" and not necessarily the detail when people are described. There is not doubt all of these figures Washington, Jefferson and the other notables played a significant part in the founding of our country. Too many writers have written about them for it all to be wrong and completely biased.

From all of the historical writings though you can garner that there was a serious amount of disagreement among those involved in writing our Constitution and establishing the basis of the government. And yet, in the end, they all recognized the importance of what they were about to do, were able to put aside their differences, to compromise and provide input to form the basis of the government that still stands today.

The only thing in life that is guaranteed is change. Nothing remains the same. This government will always need tweaking from time to time. It has and will stand as long as we can realize the need to put aside our personal desires for the greater good of the whole country.

I stand in awe of our founding father's intelligence and foresight.

Frederick Skelly
07-04-2015, 10:54 AM
The problem with reading "history" IMO is that it can often take on the personal, biased view of the writer. Thus I think you have to "filter" what you read with a little skepticism paying more attention to the overall "flavor" and not necessarily the detail when people are described. There is not doubt all of these figures Washington, Jefferson and the other notables played a significant part in the founding of our country. Too many writers have written about them for it all to be wrong and completely biased.

From all of the historical writings though you can garner that there was a serious amount of disagreement among those involved in writing our Constitution and establishing the basis of the government. And yet, in the end, they all recognized the importance of what they were about to do, were able to put aside their differences, to compromise and provide input to form the basis of the government that still stands today.

The only thing in life that is guaranteed is change. Nothing remains the same. This government will always need tweaking from time to time. It has and will stand as long as we can realize the need to put aside our personal desires for the greater good of the whole country.

I stand in awe of our founding father's intelligence and foresight.

I agree with you on all points Ken! Happy 4th!

Phil Thien
07-04-2015, 11:01 AM
All I've got is happy 4th everyone!

Moses, pass the brats!!!

David Ragan
07-04-2015, 12:22 PM
The problem with reading "history" IMO is that it can often take on the personal, biased view of the writer. Thus I think you have to "filter" what you read with a little skepticism paying more attention to the overall "flavor" and not necessarily the detail when people are described. There is not doubt all of these figures Washington, Jefferson and the other notables played a significant part in the founding of our country. Too many writers have written about them for it all to be wrong and completely biased. .

Somebody said that history is written by the victors.

It is very interesting how some writers can go into great detail about how a statesman's personal experiences/family life, etc influences the decisions that they make that effect so many others.

I've always wanted to read a brittish textbook describing it from their perspective. My guess is that it would look like a northern description of the American civil war. I have read some brittish views that the king seriously screwed up and inflamed things.

Washington was a good and honorable man. He did far more good than harm and you're right - the Nation might not exist if not for him. But he was human and made mistakes like everyone else does.

I had the poor judgment to ask a British fellow a few years ago what the Brits did on July 4th. Of course, he was mildly offended, and shot back, 'what do you expect, us to cry in our beer?' An awkward moment.

Two thoughts.

#1 above is precisely why Washington is so deserving of his status. Look around the world, how many times does someone lead a revolution, then turn over the reins?

That was immediately after the war formally ended. He did it again after his second term, right?

Shawn Pixley
07-05-2015, 3:49 PM
Kent, I don't care what the others say, if you are a Red Barber fan, you're okay!

Mike Henderson
07-05-2015, 4:34 PM
One book I found that I liked about the revolutionary war is "The Long Fuse: How England Lost the American Colonies 1760-1785 (http://www.amazon.com/Long-Fuse-American-Colonies-1760-1785/dp/0871136619/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436128404&sr=1-2&keywords=the+long+fuse&pebp=1436128406894&perid=1WWQY5AJF7JF64RGPV8Z)" by Don Cook.

From what I've read - in several books - it was King George's refusal to compromise with the American Colonies that essentially guaranteed a revolution. The Americans were more than willing to remain British but wanted more control over things that affected them.

Mike

Kent A Bathurst
07-05-2015, 5:44 PM
Kent, I don't care what the others say, if you are a Red Barber fan, you're okay!

I never missed the Fridays with Red that Bob Edwards did. He was a wealth of wisdom, in all things. He had a remarkable life, and is sorely missed.

Frederick Skelly
07-05-2015, 7:08 PM
One book I found that I liked about the revolutionary war is "The Long Fuse: How England Lost the American Colonies 1760-1785 (http://www.amazon.com/Long-Fuse-American-Colonies-1760-1785/dp/0871136619/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436128404&sr=1-2&keywords=the+long+fuse&pebp=1436128406894&perid=1WWQY5AJF7JF64RGPV8Z)" by Don Cook.

From what I've read - in several books - it was King George's refusal to compromise with the American Colonies that essentially guaranteed a revolution. The Americans were more than willing to remain British but wanted more control over things that affected them.

Mike

Thanks for the tip Mike. I've just added that one to my reading list!
Fred

Mark Blatter
07-05-2015, 9:11 PM
Somebody said that history is written by the victors.

It is very interesting how some writers can go into great detail about how a statesman's personal experiences/family life, etc influences the decisions that they make that effect so many others.

I had the poor judgment to ask a British fellow a few years ago what the Brits did on July 4th. Of course, he was mildly offended, and shot back, 'what do you expect, us to cry in our beer?' An awkward moment.

#1 above is precisely why Washington is so deserving of his status. Look around the world, how many times does someone lead a revolution, then turn over the reins?

That was immediately after the war formally ended. He did it again after his second term, right?

I am not an historian, but I believe you are correct. After the war, many (most?) wanted Washington as King. He said no. Then after the Constitutional Convention, he served two terms as president and stepped down. He could have stayed in office for the rest of his life, but didn't. I cannot think of any time in history when some voluntarily gave up power.

Consider that every four years, perhaps eight when the president is re-elected, he steps down. Perhaps the most powerful person in the world now, just steps down. After 200+ years, we have precedent and the expectations of what takes place. The military would not support a departing president who wanted to stay in power, but 200 years ago, that was not the case. It is simply a miracle that it evolved the way it did.

Rod Sheridan
07-06-2015, 8:13 AM
Hi Keith, America, like Canada had two founding cultures, English and French.

It's left both of us better for the wide range of culture and experiences.

Happy July 4.................Regards, Rod.

Malcolm Schweizer
07-06-2015, 8:23 AM
We just buried my father, WWII vet and retired Lieutenant Colonel, USAF on July 3. I was amazed that the military provides a free headstone (a very nice one) to vets, and dad got an honor guard to close the ceremony and present the flag to my mom. It was the highlight of the ceremony. Dad was a recipient of the Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross.

Scott Shepherd
07-06-2015, 8:31 AM
Very sorry for your loss Malcolm. I thank your entire family for their service to our country as a military family.

Dave Anderson NH
07-06-2015, 12:29 PM
Malcolm, the stone is actually provided by the Veteran's Administration. To my mind it is a small thing when we consider what those who served have sacrificed or at the very least had the potential to sacrifice.

With only 1% of our living population serving or having served in the armed forces and now having a completely volunteer military, there is a major disconnect and lack of understanding about our forces. Military people voluntarily give up many of the freedoms guaranteed to us by the bill or rights and accept a lot of restrictions. A friend of mine who recently retired from active USMC duty once sent me a photo from his small firebase in Helmud Province Afghanistan which succinctly sums up the situation. "America is not at war, the Marine Corps is at war...... America is at the Mall."

A veteran is someone who at some time or other in their life wrote out a blank check payable to the United States of America for any amount up to and including their life.

David Ragan
07-06-2015, 1:45 PM
A friend of mine who recently retired from active USMC duty once sent me a photo from his small firebase in Helmud Province Afghanistan which succinctly sums up the situation. "America is not at war, the Marine Corps is at war...... America is at the Mall."

Hey Dave, How do you thing that we, as a population can do better?

I generally agree with you, but what is the problem? the media/censorship? the Military making it look too easy? Our population being a bunch of spoiled brats? (can I say that?)

When I was a kid, we had the Cold War, Vietnam, air raid drills @ school, Cuban Missile Crisis, lot of action down in Central and South America, etc.

I have read that nearly everyone is ready to thank service women and men when they see them in uniform, and that Wounded Warrior, et al foundations are doing well from private donations.

But, as a private citizen, I have to ask this:).

Dave Anderson NH
07-06-2015, 2:54 PM
I really don't know how to respond to you David without getting political and violating the TOS. About the only thing I can offer is that I believe that every American should do some form of national service for 2 years whether it be military, Peace Corps, Public Health Service, or something else entirely. That way everyone offers something to their country and understands the concept of service better. I think it would do much to build better citizens.

Mike Henderson
07-06-2015, 3:15 PM
I hope this is not political. One thing that surprises me is that today, everyone loves the military people. But back during the Vietnam war, the soldiers were spit upon. And many of us back then didn't have a choice (or much of a choice) about being in the war. We were either drafted or joined because we were going to be drafted.

I'll add one humorous anecdote - at least humorous to me. I have a twin brother who married young and was not drafted. A few years ago he was ranting to me about young people and said, "They should all be drafted and taught some discipline!" I replied to him, "First, the military is not charm school. It has a job to do and needs people who want to do that job. And I find it ironic that you, who managed to avoid service, now want to send every young person into harm's way."

Mike

Scott Shepherd
07-06-2015, 3:18 PM
Seriously guys, Malcolm says he buried his father 3 days ago and this is what your response it? Please take a step back and put things into perspective.

David Ragan
07-06-2015, 7:20 PM
Seriously guys, Malcolm says he buried his father 3 days ago and this is what your response it? Please take a step back and put things into perspective.

So true, Rod. Very tacky of us. The WWII guys and gals were really The Greatest Generation. My Dad got turned down for flat feet.

Malcolm-I guess it can never be said enough to Veterans, and their families--thanks for the sacrifice. Without that, none of the things we enjoy (none) would be possible. Look at the sorry state in so many other countries, especially those run by non-democratic means.

I hope this is not political. One thing that surprises me is that today, everyone loves the military people. But back during the Vietnam war, the soldiers were spit upon.

I didn't understand that phenomena back then. The politicians make war, not the soldiers. Everyone understands that, right? Lots of folks join the military for various reasons. I have never heard anyone say that they joined up to kill folks or other nefarious reasons.

I really don't know how to respond to you David without getting political and violating the TOS. About the only thing I can offer is that I believe that every American should do some form of national service for 2 years whether it be military, Peace Corps, Public Health Service, or something else entirely. That way everyone offers something to their country and understands the concept of service better. I think it would do much to build better citizens.

Yes, it occurred to me after I wrote that--Dang-that might be hard for him to answer (candidly).

I wasn't baiting you.

I tried to join the Navy in college, but when I admitted I had smoked weed recently (for the record, it has been decades since anything like that), they turned me down flat.

2 years is not a lot to ask, and no doubt would help out a lot of youngsters grow up, and learn how to act, respect authority, take responsibility, etc. But.........just think how majorly expensive that would be to us.....you'd have all those youngsters, many of which would not want to be there, the administrative burden would be astronomical. Just all the ne'er-do-wells that really needed it would be the most expensive. I imagine there are enough problems administering The Military with folks who want to be there, maybe in their 20s. Think about compulsory service age 18, and do two years. The budget would probably dwarf what we spend on lots of other programs.

Frederick Skelly
07-06-2015, 8:50 PM
We just buried my father, WWII vet and retired Lieutenant Colonel, USAF on July 3. I was amazed that the military provides a free headstone (a very nice one) to vets, and dad got an honor guard to close the ceremony and present the flag to my mom. It was the highlight of the ceremony. Dad was a recipient of the Air Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross.

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, Malcolm. Please accept my thanks on behalf of him, for protecting all of the rest of us over the years. I wish you and your family comfort and peace.
Fred

Paul McGaha
07-06-2015, 9:05 PM
Sorry to hear of your dad's passing Malcolm. It sounds like he had a solid military career.

Like others have mentioned I really think they were America's best generation so far. Just my thoughts but to me, the only generation that is competitive with them would be the generation of our founding fathers.

PHM

Malcolm Schweizer
07-06-2015, 9:43 PM
Thanks everyone. He lived almost 97 years and did not suffer. Born 15 years after the Wright Brothers made their first flight, then flew in one of the most famous flying machines ever- the B26 Marauder, and lived to see a man on the moon, a space probe on Mars, and one that exited our solar system. To infinity and beyond!

Anyway, I just wanted to mention how cool it was that he got the honor guard and a bronze headstone. I was very appreciative of that and felt like his service was very appreciated to the very end. The honor guard really took it seriously and I will never forget when she presented the flag to my mom and thanked her for his service. It was clearly very heartfelt.

Kent A Bathurst
07-06-2015, 11:32 PM

I have been to two military funerals - one Army, one Marine. One was at Arlington National, for a person with the rank to warrant the horse-drawn caisson. The servicemen and women on those details do not take their responsibilities lightly, from what I have seen.

From me:

A bowed head, and a silent prayer, to honor a decorated American veteran and hero.

The rank of Lt Col does not come easily, and the DFC much less easy still.

Rest in Peace, Lt Col Schweizer.