PDA

View Full Version : First People

Michael Weber
07-02-2015, 11:07 AM
Anyone else been watching this PBS series? Pretty mind boggling.

David Ragan
07-02-2015, 12:58 PM
I have it set up to record.

You like, eh?

Michael Weber
07-03-2015, 1:56 AM
I have it set up to record.

You like, eh?Very much so except it's like watching astronomy shows,. It makes one feel pretty insignificant in the whole scope of things.

David Ragan
07-04-2015, 2:54 PM
I watched it; but seemed like they dragged out into an hour information they could have covered in about 15 minutes. Way too much time just showing stone age people stalking, laughing, sitting around a fire, etc.

The anthropology and geology is what gets my attention.

An interesting similar TV series, and book is 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' The premise is that IIRC, the primary determinants of development of nationalities(?) is the local geography, weather, and indigenous 'domesticable' animals--more specifically, beasts of burden-of which there are only a few on the planet.

The east-west v north-south mtn ranges of Asia/Europe v Americas had drastically different influences on the migration of all organisms on those continents.

Then, a small hijack, if I may:
Then, as we know, (I forget the particulars) N America was settled by a group (today is July 4th, right?) that believed in property ownership and modeled on a Government like England, kind of.

Central and South America were modeled primarily as colonies, with the Spanish influence more along the lines of a sovereign ruler.

Please--if someone can help me out here with this distinction-about how the, ummm, Exploring the New World in the 14th through 17th centuries led to the vastly different systems of Government in N v C/S America, I will thank you in advance. You know, where the more 'advanced' 2nd People come along and say....."Gee, you all sure are lucky we are here to change you, and introduce you to a far better way of living"