PDA

View Full Version : Baileigh JP-1250

Peter Oster
07-02-2015, 10:57 AM
Baileigh seems to have made a big splash a couple of years ago and since have almost disappeared. The JP-1250 looks like it is a nice machine at a reasonable price. I've done a lot of searching and there are very few reviews/info about Baileigh support for woodworking equipment in general and specifically the JP-1250. The only real review is over a year old. I want a spiral head. Yes, I would love Hammer, no I can't afford it. Anything with a pork chop guard is out. Really looking for comments on Baileigh and the JP-1250. Thanks

Scott Allen27
07-02-2015, 11:18 AM
I looked at this machine awhile back, before I got my current combo machine, but I don't think the Baileigh is worth the premium over this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Planer-Jointer-with-Spiral-Cutterhead-Polar-Bear-Series/G0634XP

The big white Grizzly gets good reviews, the only issue with you would be the porkchop. You could probably order the euro guard from Baileigh and just tap a couple of holes in the Grizzly - it should work since they are basically the same machine - both I believe come from the same factory in Taiwan. It may just bolt straight on - the holes may already be there on the Grizzly, don't know for sure.

I do know if I had to choose between those two companies in terms of support, one clearly comes out on top.

Good luck!

Earl Rumans
07-02-2015, 4:46 PM
I have had my JP-1250 for almost 2 years now and it's been a very good machine, so far. I got it when they first came out and it was an exceptional bargain, $1870, at the current price I don't really think it's such a good deal. The fence is a little fussy on changeover but not that bad, it actually does a great job and I haven't run into anything it didn't handle well. The DC in jointer mode is good but in planer mode it could be better, running direct to an Jet 1100 VX-CK. I haven't had a single problem with mine, so I can't say how Baileigh's customer service is. The current price is right up there close to the Jet and I don't really know if it's worth the extra cost over the Grizzly, as I haven't paid any attention to reviews on that machine. The Jet is probably a better machine, with the one piece table for changeover and more likely worth the difference in price, over the Baileigh.

Peter Oster
07-02-2015, 7:37 PM
Thanks Earl. I've read several complaints about the Jet tables going out of alignment. Also I don't care for the corrugated tables. Your 8 month review is the only one I can find on the net.

Earl Rumans
07-03-2015, 5:47 AM
I don't think you could go wrong with the Baileigh, like I said it's been great for me and it's probably worth what they are asking now. I am just fortunate to have gotten it for such a great price. I have run many boards through it, from pallet stock to Birds Eye Maple and it has done a great job on all of it. I haven't had any feed roller problems, tear out, snipe, or striping from the blades, as has been reported in reviews of other spiral cutter heads. I have also read about the table alignment problems on the Jet. I wouldn't give up my Baileigh for anything less than a Hammer, or a Mini Max, neither of which I can afford.

Curt Harms
07-03-2015, 9:15 AM
Thanks Earl. I've read several complaints about the Jet tables going out of alignment. Also I don't care for the corrugated tables. Your 8 month review is the only one I can find on the net.
I have the Jet machine. I was sceptical about the corrugated tables but find them a non-issue. I've seen hi $ Euro machines - make Hammer and Minimax look very reasonable - that use corrugated tables. The idea is that wood is not contacting 100% of the tables and that makes it easier to feed. The corrugations are very shallow. Mine seemed like they were a little rough so a board would catch a little but a few minutes with SiC sandpaper fixed that. Maybe I'm not fussy enough about table alignment but I can joint two pieces of wood, put the jointed edges together and there's no gap and no snipe. Face jointing the same. I'm not sure what else I need.

David Kumm
07-03-2015, 12:04 PM
What you call corrugated are planed tables. That method was always the standard that other methods of grinding were compared to. More expensive so only done rarely anymore. I'd consider it one of the better features depending on the accuracy Baileigh specs to. Northfield still planes their jointer tables and work to .001-.003 over their eight foot length. Accurate planed jointer tables are far superior to Blanchard grind due to the reduced friction of the design. The much bigger issue is how the tables are joined to the base, how the lifting mechanism works and whether the design returns the tables to co planar- assuming they are flat to begin with. Dave

Shiraz Balolia
07-03-2015, 7:55 PM
I looked at this machine awhile back, before I got my current combo machine, but I don't think the Baileigh is worth the premium over this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Planer-Jointer-with-Spiral-Cutterhead-Polar-Bear-Series/G0634XP

The big white Grizzly gets good reviews, the only issue with you would be the porkchop. You could probably order the euro guard from Baileigh and just tap a couple of holes in the Grizzly - it should work since they are basically the same machine - both I believe come from the same factory in Taiwan. It may just bolt straight on - the holes may already be there on the Grizzly, don't know for sure.

I do know if I had to choose between those two companies in terms of support, one clearly comes out on top.

Good luck!

Just FYI - not from the same factory. Ours (Grizzly) is exclusive to us with total quality control by our Taiwan office and engineers on our payroll.