PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my "new" 24" planer

Mark Gibney
07-02-2015, 12:27 AM
I just bought a 1994 Casadei R 63 H3 and dragged it to my workshop this weekend. I hooked it up and ran it. All good.

But when I turned the switch to lower the bed it went down about 3", slowly, and then stopped well short of the lowest it should go. It also wouldn't go back up.

I pulled the panel off the front of the machine but I might as be looking into a plate of spaghetti.

I didn't hear anything snap, no spark flew, no smoke wafted out from the machine.

Anyone out there have any experience with this that might help me out?

Thank you.

Rick Fisher
07-02-2015, 1:45 AM
That machine probably has 3 motors. The one that raises and lowers the table on mine is run by a belt. I would access the motor and see if its free .. you should be able to turn it by hand .. Mine has a big flywheel, making turning it by hand pretty easy.

(mine isn't a Casadei, but its a cousin ) ..

Rick Fisher
07-02-2015, 2:03 AM
https://www.partspronto.com/MachineDocs/PS630.pdf

Read the 2 items on page 20 under troubles. talks about cleaning the nylon guides on one. Other one is the CMR Card ?

Mark Gibney
07-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Thanks Rick, I've read the pdf you linked to, and I've also put a call into Casadei in Greensboro. I'll let you know if it works out.

johnny means
07-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Not sure if this would apply to you, but who knows. I had a Felder at one time and it would do the same thing. Turns it was a tiny fuse that would blow at the first hint of residence. My guess is that it protected the mechanism from damaging itself if obstructed. Took me a few minutes to find it amongst the circuitry.

Peter Quinn
07-02-2015, 12:14 PM
I seem to recall the one whet I worked last having an odd skinny little belt and some sort of mechanism to adjust the belts tension. It pulled power off the drive motor for raise/lowering, and occasionally the belt would stretch and need to be snugged up or the table wouldn't move. The manual adjustment still worked, but it was a real slow fine adjustment, took several minutes to drop a 1/4" that way. All the parts in question were on the left side of ours, accessible with the hood raised, IIR guy had to pull an access panel inside the hood area to see the mechanism.

Lee Schierer
07-02-2015, 12:15 PM
I am not familiar with that machine, but I find that 90% of what is wrong with older machinery that has been sitting around for a while is accumulated gunk and dried out lubricants. I would clean and lube all the moving parts before proceeding.