PDA

View Full Version : powermatic bandsaw

Chris Payne
07-02-2015, 12:17 AM
I bought me a new powermatic bandsaw at the end of the year last year. I can not get use to letting the pressure off of my blade each time I use it. So anymore I don't even give it a second thought. Am I doing any damage to my saw by ignoring this ??

Terry Haynes
07-02-2015, 2:51 AM
Depends on how you feel about replacing one or several parts over time. I have replaced bearings, wheels, motor shafts etc. This was on Powermatic Band Saws back in the day.

David Ragan
07-02-2015, 7:02 AM
the most cogent reason I have heard for this is the tension of the blade on the wheels making an impression in the tire--but that would average out over time, right?

I goes weeks without using my MM16, and always detension it.

mark kosse
07-02-2015, 6:22 PM
chris, i have 5 bandsaws at home and 3 more at work. the oldest is a 1951 crescent delta 20". none of them have ever had tension removed. im not saying im right, just i dont have problems. mark

Mike Heidrick
07-02-2015, 6:32 PM
No issues leaving tension on my mm20.

Kent A Bathurst
07-02-2015, 6:32 PM
i leave it alone on my classic-design delta 14" cast iron c-frame.....no issues

Rod Sheridan
07-02-2015, 7:23 PM
Chris, I have never seen anyone in industry de-tension a band saw after using it except to change the blade.

Don't worry about it............Rod.

Jeff Ramsey
07-03-2015, 5:24 AM
The only reason I de-tension my modern era PM 14" when it sits unused for a while, is because I don't think it has a frame sturdy enough to handle tension over a long period of time without potentionally damaging it (there's a reason why a quick-release tension bar is on the saw). When I upgrade to a Felder, or MM, I won't be concerned about it.