PDA

View Full Version : Panel flattening my way?

steven c newman
07-01-2015, 5:13 PM
Not quite the same as Mr. Schwarz does it. But it does seem to work out ok..
first, I had a panel glued up. Had resawn a 4x4 into four boards. Edges were straight, but the boards were a bit uneven. This is how it came out of the clamps today
Not the best looking thing out there?
Ok, first off, a scub jack plane
Nice big mouth on the Corsair C-5. Camber is about 8-9" radius.
Going right across the grain, nice thick shavings. Got most of the high spots down to the rest of the "playing field"
Next
I use the 18" long No.6c at the fiagonals to the grain. When i start to get decent long shavings, time to switch gears, again
Yep, another jack plane. But, this old Sargent 414 has barely any camber to it, maybe a little at the corners. Still almost a diagonal, but going more with the grain. Getting nice shavings from all over the panel, so
If you'll notice, I turned the panel 90 degrees to work with the grain better. A Millers Falls No.9 did the final clean up. Panel is now flat (at least on this face) and smooth enough for finish.

If you check the time stamps, you'll see this didn't take all that long, and is actually a pretty good Cardio Workout, as well.

Not too bad?

bridger berdel
07-01-2015, 8:14 PM
"Levelling the field". Now there's a phrase that has acquired an expanded meaning...

The #5 set up like a smoother is basically a panel plane, right?

steven c newman
07-01-2015, 9:41 PM
Yep. I have been using two jacks as long bodied smoothers. When the panels get a little cupped, time for a longer plane to "un-cup" them.

Note: Currently have a single #4 sized plane in the shop. Trying to add a second one as soon as it gets tuned up. Until then...the Millers Falls No.9 will just have to do...

bridger berdel
07-01-2015, 11:01 PM
Yep. I have been using two jacks as long bodied smoothers. When the panels get a little cupped, time for a longer plane to "un-cup" them.

Note: Currently have a single #4 sized plane in the shop. Trying to add a second one as soon as it gets tuned up. Until then...the Millers Falls No.9 will just have to do...

my Millers Falls 9 is entirely satisfactory as a #4 size plane.