PDA

View Full Version : Request for pics and promise for some

Gail O'Rourke
08-16-2005, 8:54 PM
Ok, I know I haven't posted any pictures this summer - I have been taking time out of the shop but am ready to get back in there. My kids will be heading back to school next week and in September I will be delivering as many orders as I can finish. I have orders and deposits for some built - bookcases, three seperate customers as well as a bathroom vanity and storage unit.... I am also in the market for a new camera, so if you have a favorite please let me know.

Tomorrow, I have an estimate for a family that would like a trestle table...so I was wondering if you all would be generous enough to show me some pictures of any trestle tables you have done....I would love to have some ideas before I head over there.

I was fortunate enough to have a small article written about my business in the local paper, so I think that things will remain busy over the next few months.

And, I promise, I will post some pictures.:)

Thanks in advance.

Jim Fancher
08-16-2005, 9:42 PM
Hi Gail,

I don't have any pics of tables, but I might be able to steer you in the direction of a good camera. What's on your wishlist for a camera? Is there anything you need or want? PM me if you'd like.

Keith Starosta
08-17-2005, 8:47 AM
Hi Gail. I don't think Todd will mind me linking to his site, and since he's too busy to come play with us anymore :( , he can't protest!! ;)

I like to plug Todd Burch's work, because I love what he produces. Check out this table he made some time ago. Cherry Trestle Table (http://www.burchwoodusa.com/miscpix/Tables/cherry_trestle_table.html) Excellent craftsmanship all the way around...

Keith

Bartee Lamar
08-17-2005, 8:58 AM
you can check www.dpreview.com for digital camera reviews.

The best part of the review is the "Conclusions" Read the pros and cons.

A big consideration is batteries. A lot of people only want cameras that can use rechargeable AA batteries.

There was just a good thread on this over on woodcentral.com

ops.. sorry about the bad URL... I should know better since I make my living doing web stuff.

markus shaffer
08-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Gail,

I have used many cameras over the years as I studied and worked as a photographer before coming to woodworking. This includes pretty much all formats of cameras and in all price ranges. Having stopped shooting film altogether, I have come to using two cameras. The first is a Nikon D100 digital SLR. It's a great camera and I have been really happy with the results from it. Problem is that it is pricey and you have to buy lenses separately. But if you've been shooting with a SLR camera, it's a really good transition. Especially for myself having always owned and shot with Nikon equipment in the past.

The second camera I have is a Canon S400 Digital Elph. As I said, I've shot with all sorts of cameras over the years, everything from Leica rangefinders to Mamiya and Hassleblad medium formats and Hoffman large formats. This little Canon has really astounded me with the quality of prints I've gotten from it and I used to do all my own printing, black and white as well as color. Granted, I send my images out to a digital lab to be printed these days, but the quality has been amazing. There have been upgrades since I bought mine and the newest model seems to be quite promising. I think it is the SD500.. These cameras are really small and of amazing quality in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with this one. I've added the link to this Canon below.. Good luck.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=145&modelid=11157

-Markus

Tim Burke
08-17-2005, 1:02 PM
I am also in the market for a new camera, so if you have a favorite please let me know.

My favorite camera review site: http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

My favorite brand of camera - Canon. Excellent cameras, good software, good company support. I have purchased or recommended several of the A series (A40 through A95) for a "pocket" size camera for work and relatives. This series camera is rugged, takes excellent pictures, and has fairly advanced manual controls if you want to be creative, in addition to the automatic controls.

For a more creative camera, the Canon S2-IS. Has an awesome 12x zoom lense with image stabilizer for low-light, long zoom pictures without needing a tripod, plus great controls. It's a somewhat bigger camera due to the lense.

You can also get into the more professional digital SLR style. Look on Steve's Digicams website and you can see the features, quality, and prices.

A camera I highly recommend staying away from is anything Olympus. Decent picture quality, but less rugged design, horrible company tech support and poor software support.

A good place to purchase www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/).

Tim

Bill Lewis
08-17-2005, 1:38 PM
Without knowing how much you can spend on a digital camera it's hard to recomend any specific model. That being said, there is one feature on digital cameras that I would strongly recomend. That is, a viewscreen that folds up to protect it, and folds out and swivels so that you can hold the camera at any angle and still see what you are shooting. A must for over the head or underneath the (trestle) table shots. Also get decent optical zooming. I have a Nikon Coolpix5400 (28mm-116mm zoom) at work and it is a good camera. A co-worker of mine has a Canon version that I am even more impressed with. It has an larger viewscreen (folds and pivots) than the one I have. Both cameras are probably in the $500-800 range though I haven't priced them out lately.

Larry Copas
08-17-2005, 2:00 PM
An excellent article by Charles Durfee is in FWW April 2000 #141 about building a trestle table. I highly recommend the read, especially the sidebar.

I have been building several styles of trestle tables this summer. I am putting together a step by step tutorial on how to build one right now. BLO is going on the table I am building now, to be followed by Waterlox original. Won’t be done with the tutorial or the table for a while as I am taking a time out for a little fishing trip.

Unlike Tim I can’t say enough good things about Olympus. Bought a C-2020 Z in 2000 for an outrageous sum of money to take Ebay pictures. It clicks off about 100 pictures per week...iffen my addition is right that is bout 26,000 pictures and never a glitch. Whoops, better make that 26,001 as just snapped one of my table for Gail.

Norman Hitt
08-17-2005, 3:32 PM
A good place to purchase www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com/).

Tim

Gail, looks like this site has a 1 day sale on the Canon SD-500 that Marcus mentioned, that ends at 5:00 PM today, for $425.99 + $5.99 shipping, which the site says is $15.00 off normal retail. (this Note is just to give a price ballpark for this category camera). This may or may not be be the exact Canon model my daughter has, because her's is a little over 1 1/2 years old, (x-mas 2003), and she loves it. (I don't know "Doodley", about Digital Cameras myself). :confused: Ah jes looks at da pistures! :D

Dan Forman
08-17-2005, 3:35 PM
Gail---If you don't like tripods, look for a camera with lens stabilization, will give you clearer pictures on hand held shots. Makes a big difference when you are zooming, which otherwise multiplies any movement on your part and makes for a fuzzy picture. It also helps in marginal light situations.

Dan

John Guerra
08-17-2005, 3:42 PM
Norm did this one....

http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?107.jpg

John

Gail O'Rourke
08-17-2005, 3:51 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replies, I hadn't been looking at Canon, but appreciate the input and will also check them out. It's worse than buying a tool....decision anxiety and making sure you get what you want.

Trestle tables...the link to Todd's table and as well as yours Larry is awesome. Thanks for the pictures. Should I get the order, depending on what style they like, I will be interested in how you guarantee the stability. I would be excited to get it as a project. I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the information, you are all great.

I will let you know how my estimate goes and check out those camera's too.

Best

scott spencer
08-17-2005, 4:33 PM
Hi Gail - In this day and age I have to assume you want a digital camera? If so, I'll make a shameless plug for my employer (even though I'm one of the few "film" guys left). JD Powers recently ranked Kodak digital cameras first in two categories under $400. Kodak's shift to digital has included refocusing on camera quality and ease of use, and it appears to be paying off.

Great website and great work BTW. My wife doesn't even know where my shop is! ;)

Hoa Dinh
08-17-2005, 4:43 PM
Since noone's mentioned it...

One thing about all on-camera flashes is that they are weak, especially when coupled with a zoom lens at the tele end.

If you plan to take photos indoors, invest in a camera that can accept an external flash unit, and account for the price of the flash gun.

I currently have a Canon G5 and a Speedlite 420. I chose this combination over Nikon because (1) the Nikon flash unit was over my budget, and (2) Nikon did not have the equivalent to Canon E-TTL for digital cameras at the time.

I also have a small Canon S410 for outdoor photos or when I need to travel light (e.g. hiking). But when it comes to, say, a birthday party, I lug around the G5 and the flash gun.

Don Baer
08-17-2005, 5:01 PM
Gail,

For LOML's last birthday I got her a Canon PC 1080 digtal camara and an HP Photosmart 375 printer. It's a great combo and since we have a new (1yrld ) grandaughter she uses it all of the time. She is not a fan of anything complicted so if it was not easy to use I would have heard about it.

;)

Karl Laustrup
08-17-2005, 5:23 PM
I'll throw my $1.398 worth of babble into the fray.

I just purchased [2 weeks ago] the Canon Digital Rebel 300-D. Got what I felt was a good price with two lenses [28-80 & 80-210]. I had most of the other stuff [bag, tripod yada, yada, yada] except filters [there was another $100+] and a media card [I got a 256MB]. It has built in flash but, it's weak at best. My Minolta flash works just fine.

The pictures are fantastic. :) While it might be out of range price wise, I feel it's worth every dime I paid.

Karl

Brian Hale
08-17-2005, 5:54 PM
I'll throw an opinion into the mix...... :D

I've been a Canon shooter for years and never had any regrets. Great quality and customer service but they have what i believe to be the best color accuracy going. The glass in their lens are second to none.
I'm assuming you'll want a point and shoot? If so, any of the "s" series are a good camera and i really like the sliding cover that protects the lens when closed. Both kids have the older S30 model that they've taken to college, Belize, the beach at the Outer Banks and Key west and never had a single problem. Very rugged design.

I just purchased the SD 500 for LOML birthday (yesterday) but i managed to play with for a couple days before she got it. A bit smaller than a pack of cigarettes, stainless steel body and very nice optics. It's also one of the eaisest cameras to learn. I paid $445 at http://www.bhphotovideo.com (this is the only place i buy camera gear)

My point and shoot is the G3. It has the fold out screen mentioned previously and will accept a hot shoe flash. It's considered the Professional's point and shoot in the Canon line and i can't say enough about it.

There are also underwater housings for all the cameras i mentioned.

DPreview and Steves digicam are both good sites for reviews

I always tell folks to watch the sidelines at a sporting event and count the number of white lens versus black. Canon is white. They also are the ones that developed Image Stabilization

OK, I'll step off the box now before someone boops me in the head with a tape measure. :eek:

Brian :D

Mike Cutler
08-17-2005, 6:48 PM
Gail. I don't have any real camera advice for you, it's hard to advise folks unless you more closely know their actual needs. I have a Nikon 5700 and it's a great camera, but... It is definitely not a point and shoot camera. If you want to push it too it's full potential, you really gotta be into cameras.

On the other hand, do you know what style of table the client is interested in? I have a pretty good library of art books and furniture books, and I'd be happy to email you pictures if you need them. I think it might be illegal to post them on an public internet forum, not sure.

Good luck, and I hope you get the commision.

Jim Becker
08-17-2005, 7:16 PM
I'm a Nikon guy and shoot with a D70 or my new S1 (travel camera). The New D50 is a little lower in price and competes better in that respect to the Cannons. But the bottom line is that all the regular manufacturers have nice cameras so if you have one company that you like, check out what they offer in the dpreviews site mentioned above. I do suggest you buy something that is in the 5 megapixel department as they will allow you to produce 8x10 shots for your portfolio (or mantel) without loss of detail. The Nikon S1 I mention above qualifies and lists for $379...it's a steal at that price, IMHO, and I'm so pleased with the quality that I will not feel guilty about not having the D70 along when traveling. (It's even nicer when you use AMEX points to "buy" it... ;) )

Tim Morton
08-17-2005, 7:53 PM
I will pile on with a digital camera recomendation...wicked small and shoots beautiful pictures, from casio. The thing i like best is that it shoots 30FPS video for well under $400. Plus its available in orange...how bad is that?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=388225&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Bret Olmsted
08-17-2005, 8:09 PM
A google image search shows a lot of trestle tables:

http://images.google.com/images?q=trestle+table

-Bret

Gail O'Rourke
08-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Well, even more to think about in the digital camera sector. Mostly it is to shoot my furniture on install and some progress pictures. I like the idea of a closeable cover over the lens, as it is always hanging around the shop.

Trestle table customer went well, they want a simple design for the legs.

This is the question and it may be too hard to visualize, for consider this,

They want the table 88 inches long, but the trestle IN on each end 21 inches, for leg room, that means that the base portion will only be 46 inches wide...

assume that the top thickness is 5/4 with beadboard ends and base is 6 to 8/4, one stretcher.

Does any one see a problem with this?

Jim Becker
08-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Well, even more to think about in the digital camera sector. Mostly it is to shoot my furniture on install and some progress pictures. I like the idea of a closeable cover over the lens, as it is always hanging around the shop.

My Nikon CoolPix S1 (http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25529) has a metal case and an automatic lens cover.

Charlie Plesums
08-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Michael Colca does beautiful work, and most of his tables are Trestle. See http://www.io.com/~colca/Home_Furniture/_Tables/_tables.html

Personally I don't like Trestle legs, but prefer conventional legs on the corners. But if you are going to have a Trestle table, and are going to be able to use the ends, you need to have dimensions like your client wants. I wouldn't do it in a small square table, but a big one like they wants sounds ok to me (even though I don't have direct experience).

Charlie

Kirk (KC) Constable
08-18-2005, 1:11 AM

Trestle table customer went well, they want a simple design for the legs.

This is the question and it may be too hard to visualize, for consider this,

They want the table 88 inches long, but the trestle IN on each end 21 inches, for leg room, that means that the base portion will only be 46 inches wide...

assume that the top thickness is 5/4 with beadboard ends and base is 6 to 8/4, one stretcher.

Does any one see a problem with this?

Gail...here's a link to the base on a table I just completed. I only inset the base 14", but this shows how I handlled it. With the top on, the base looks very small...and any 'detail' is essentialll lost. Nobody will see it except the dog. :o

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22186

KC

Earl Kelly
08-18-2005, 8:59 AM
Gail, if you allow room for feet under your base you will not have to have near that much overhang on your table. You might try getting some mdf or junk ply and cobbling together a piece to check the fit at the ends as well as the sides. If the client still insists on that much inset try placing some supports under the top to give a little more support to the top. Keep in mind their arm chairs,if they have them, and be aware of clearance for slipping them under the table.

Good luck with your project!

Hank Knight
08-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Gail, I'll add another recommendation for the Canon. I have a Nikon D70 digital SLR that I love. But as Marcus said earlier, if you don't already have lenses, the SLR route is expensive. Plus, it's a big camera and is trouble to carry around. My wife has a Canon S400, the same Canon Marcus talked about. It fits nicely into her purse and she takes it everywhere. It is loaded with features; and, to be painfully honest, she takes better pictures with it than I do with my big Nikon. I don't think you would go wrong with a Canon.

Larry Copas
08-18-2005, 10:49 AM
I’ve been using a 13 to 15" overhang so I thought 21" was excessive. I also think of the ends as emergency overflow seating...went to the shop and pulled the slab door out 21" on my sawhorses and took a seat just to see what it felt like. Feels excessive to me. The proportions of the base to the top also seem strange. At the least I would make a scale drawing...if still not sure a quick mock up out of ply and framing lumber might be in order.

Lumber thickness is more a function of design, so long as a minimum standard is meant. Light and airy or heavy and chunky? Seems like most of what I build tends to the heavy and chunky. :o

Gail O'Rourke
08-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Larry, the table is for an alcove and you will be sitting on the ends actually, the benches are 7 feet apart, that's why you will have to use it this way.

(builder built benches too far apart, think breakfast nook with big window, I need to get that camera so that I can take a picture).

I already told them it may look a little strange...

Perhaps a mock up is right, I will make a mock up and bring it to the customers and check it,

Going out to look at camera's now...

Gail O'Rourke
08-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Oh my gosh, so I totally freaked out.....I went to the digital camera counter at Best buy, and I kept looking at the prices and thinking, " do you know what kind of tools I can buy for $500.00? " anyway,

This is what I ended up with, for $239.00 a Canon Power shop A250....will take me a month to read the manual, but we'll, I may return and upgrade it...

Here is a picture.

Woody was the only one awake when I had a chance to take a picture...

Thanks for all your help.

Earl Kelly
08-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Gail,

I know it's late, but could your camera be a Canon Powershot A520??? I've a A510 my Son bought for me nice little camera and easy to use. It's only 3.2MP instead of 4MP.

Enjoy your camera.

Gail O'Rourke
08-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Earl, you have to know, that I must be somewhat dislexic, really, It is a A520 now that I look at it...

It only hurt me once, when I made some shelves 5 inches too small...now I always double check my measurements.

Mine is 4mp.

Vaughn McMillan
08-19-2005, 4:49 AM
Gail, I think you'll be happy with that camera. At 4 megapixels you'll get fine shots, especially for the needs you've described, and the price sounds like it was a better fit for you than the 5 MP models. (For the record, I use an older HP camera that's 4 MP, but with an 8x zoom. Cutting edge at the time, but soon outpaced by other cameras. I wouldn't necessarily recommend HP cameras, but I've been happy with mine.) I'm betting you're gonna have fun with the new toy.

And even if you're not happy with the camera, it looks like you've got a great dog, and that makes all things in life better. ;)

- Vaughn

Todd Burch
08-19-2005, 7:50 AM
Gail, I typically leave an overhang of 18" on the ends. If you sit at a table, any table, where you would normally position yourself, take a tape measure and measure how far your knees go up under the table. I'm 6'2" tall, and my knees have never hit with an 18" overhang.

I have another trestle table here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18442&highlight=trestle+table

It's more of a mission-meets-contemporary design the client liked.

As for sturdiness, both tables I have made are awesomely sturdy. Much more sturdy than I expected. If I made the cherry trestle table again, I would pare down the stretcher - it's a little bulky. I was very pleased with the bubinga stretcher.

Todd

Hank Knight
08-19-2005, 9:37 AM
Woody was the only one awake when I had a chance to take a picture...

Woody looks great! Congrats on your new camera. You'll enjoy the Canon.

Charlie Plesums
08-19-2005, 9:55 AM
Gail, don't worry about whether it is 3 or 4 or 5 megapixels, unless you are going to make large prints (unlikely except for the picture of Woody). Most of the pictures on my web site are 300 pixels high; at the original height to width ratio, that makes them 400 pixels wide, or a total of 120,000 pixels - more than most people can display when they look at the web page, and much faster to download. In my brochure they are also small, where more detail is lost.

While you are learning to use the camera, you also should learn to use a photo editing program (one probably came with the camera) which will let you crop the pictures and change the "size"

Larry Norton
08-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Gail, I don't know whether Best Buy told you or not, but they only have a 14 day return policy on cameras. You may remember my rant about my Fugi in another forum.