PDA

View Full Version : milk paint

charlie knighton
07-01-2015, 4:23 PM
Paleolithic Milk-Based Paint Discovered (http://www.archaeology.org/news/3448-south-africa-paleolithic-milk-based-paint)
SIBUDU CAVE, SOUTH AFRICA—Researchers studying residue on a stone tool found in South Africa's Sibudu Cave have discovered a powdered paint mixture made of milk and ochre that dates to 49,000 years ago. While ochre was being used in what is now South Africa as early as early as 125,000 years ago to produce paint powder, this is the first time milk proteins have been identified in an ochre-based paint. The milk likely came from a bovid such as a buffalo or impala, and the paint might have been used for body decoration or to adorn a stone or wooden object. "Although the use of the paint still remains uncertain, this surprising find establishes the use of milk with ochre well before the introduction of domestic cattle in South Africa," University of Colorado Museum of Natural History curator Paola Villa said in a press release (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-06/uoca-nss063015.php). "Obtaining milk from a lactating wild bovid also suggests that the people may have attributed a special significance and value to that product."

Steve Schlumpf
07-01-2015, 5:51 PM
Charlie - are you asking a question about milk paint or what is the purpose of this thread? If it is to start a discussion on milk paint, fine - but then I will need to move it over to the Off Topic forum.

charlie knighton
07-01-2015, 7:10 PM
purpose of this thread?

just a miscellaneous fact I stumbled across......some woodturnerers use milk paint......I thought it was interesting, wanted to share the information.......sort of like early lathes or people who turn with their feet......I like Neolithic ideas and odd facts, while woodturning is of fairly young age, I believe woodworking is much older.....sort of running off here

charlie knighton
07-01-2015, 8:03 PM
1st time I came across milk paint was 2008 Richmond symposium.....assisted Mark Gardner with his rotation.....(I sweep up shavings, hand out stuff, etc) he used milk paint after turning and embellishing a small hf.....he did not use ochre, he used black milk paint

I looked up his resume.....I met him in 2008 but this was his 2003......very impressed with people he worked with

http://markgardnerstudio.com/resume

top of the list (SL) I have only seen some of his work/turnings and heard stories.....JJ and the others some I know some I am just aware of......I have not really kept up with Mark, but was very impressed with his stuff.....the black milk paint will highlight any defect

Roland Martin
07-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Charlie, I've yet to use milk paint on any of my turnings, yet. Very interesting piece of info though. Mark Gardner did a demo at our club 1 -2 years ago and agree he does extremely nice work and a very good demonstrator.

charlie knighton
07-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Mark is super I agree Roland.......I like acrylic paint better but its probably because I like to air brush better than the brush on with milk paint.....also do not pour excess milk paint down your drain.......