PDA

View Full Version : I need some help for a new jig

steve swartz
07-01-2015, 11:43 AM
I am working on a project where I need the edge of a 2x cut at an angel of 52 degrees. I want to make the cut on my table saw, but my saw will only go to 45 degrees. My thoughts are to build a cradle, for lack of a better word, because it will be safer. The blade will stay at 90 degrees and the 2X will be tilted. I will use 1/2 inch ply for the bottom and the side of the cradle which will ride against the fence. I will cut triangular blocks which will be attached to the bottom and the side of the jig and the wood will lay on these blocks. If I make the jig longer than the wood then I can attach clamps to hold the wood in place. I am trying to figure out what angle I need for the blocks if the hypotenuse of the triangle is 52 degrees. I know one of you guys can figure this out quicker than it took me to peck out this whole paragraph. Any help would be much appreciated.

Greg Sznajdruk
07-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Complement of 52 degrees is 38 degrees

Greg

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2015, 1:00 PM
Tilt your blade to 38º, keep your miter gauge at 90º and cut. No jig necessary.

Jerry Miner
07-01-2015, 1:01 PM
Sounds like backing for crown molding? You can roll the board 90 degrees and set the blade angle at 38--registering off the fence rather than the table. Temporarily attach a support piece to keep some material on the table after the cut

Lee Schierer
07-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Sounds like backing for crown molding? You can roll the board 90 degrees and set the blade angle at 38--registering off the fence rather than the table. Temporarily attach a support piece to keep some material on the table after the cut

Locate a high feather board behind the blade to hold the piece against the fence. Be sure not to put pressure on waste piece behind the blade.