PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Fix This?

Sam Chambers
08-16-2005, 5:14 PM
The project is a cherry jewlery box (NYW version) for my daughter's 16th birthday. I'm not sure exactly where the glueup went wrong, but I ended up with a few gaps when I glued up the case. This photo shows the gap between one of the shelves and one side of the case. It's between 1/64" and 1/32" wide - not huge, but enough that it is obvious, especially when the other side is perfect.

I've tossed around a few ideas, but they each have their own problems, that could end up making it look even worse. So, how would you go about fixing this? Or would you even bother?

(If it makes a difference, I'm planning on finishing the piece with BLO, sealed with dewaxed shellac, then topcoated with wipe-on polyurethane.)

jerry cousins
08-16-2005, 5:39 PM
hey sam - if it's just the front that needs fixing (and not the full length of the joint) i would search around for some similar grain pattern - shave down a wedge and glue it in. if there are any smaller voids left after that then maybe some tinted epoxy to match the color.

jerry

Dave Avery
08-16-2005, 6:16 PM
How about a contrasting colored wood inlay on both sides?

Chris Barton
08-16-2005, 6:28 PM
Like Jerry said, shim and sand...

Jim Becker
08-16-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm also with Jerry...match slivers from the same stock is the way I'd go.

Do you really want to use poly on this? The shellac will provide a great finish and save you a step. It's also "harder" than poly... ;) ...and has more clarity. This is a jewelry box, not a kitchen table and it shouldn't take a beating. In fact, the identical one I built five years ago for Dr. SWMBO is only finished in BLO and wax. It looks brand new, although is obviously darker from oxidation and UV.

Sam Chambers
08-17-2005, 8:13 AM
Thanks, guys. I glued in some wedges last night. I read that cherry was very brittle, but I didn't realize how much until I tried to cut a thin sliver. We'll see how it works out.

Jim, I decided to use poly simply because my daughter is very hard on her posessions. She'l pile stuff on top, including soda cans. In order to avoid having to refinish the piece n 6 months, I decided to use poly.