PDA

View Full Version : Tasks you Detest

Rich Riddle
06-30-2015, 5:31 PM
So today I am digging a ditch from the house to the greenhouse so that there is water in the greenhouse. It's at a depth of 36" to prevent freezing and goes down a steep hill which must be hand dug in rocky soil. The neighbor said something about how bad the task must be and I responded, "at least I'm not painting." Good at painting but detest it even more than hand-digging ditches. What is your task you hate?

Mike Lassiter
06-30-2015, 6:18 PM
a really good motivator for me is knowning what I am saving by doing such work as you mentioned you are doing. Another is knowing what kind of job I will have when I get finished too. The FEW times I have had someone else do things for me has more often than not ended up with me having to redo part or all of their work. I have lost faith in getting a job well done from most everyone other than myself. I expect a job well done. So I get it by doing myself.

Personally I dislike finishing sheetrock. I get a good job eventually - but it seems I like to sand the joint compound too much so I can put it back on at least once more than needed. Working on a mobile home now. It's been a big job. Had ALL the metal siding off replacing rotten flooring, floor sheathing UNDER the exterior wall most of way around it. I like one interior kitchen wall (have to remove wall and base cabinets) and a small bathroom havine torn out ALL walls. Replaced exterior walls (16x76) feet with mold guard sheetrock.
I like about fifteen sheets I think having torn out and replaced ever piece of it. 90 sheets I think all together. So I am getting a LOT of practice at it again.

Brett Luna
06-30-2015, 6:37 PM
Ditch digging would have to be the worst for me. I'm not in great shape and my yard is where rocks come to spawn and die. I'll take painting over digging any day.

David Ragan
06-30-2015, 7:36 PM
Gee, there are so very many things I would rather not do.

Painting, yard work, traveling, having to go to dinner (did that last evening for work), late meetings for work,

Operative word *detest*?

Cleaning up cat puke. Cleaning out the trash bin when it is full of rotten stinking filth. Unclogging the shower drain from hair. Unclogging downspout drainlines in the yard. Like last summer I pulled out, by hand, a partially decomposed small mammal-squirrel, chipmunk or something like it.

I got it......running to the hdwe store in the middle of shop time to get a small item that I could have gotten earlier. That is why we have lots of spare everything, right?

Moses Yoder
06-30-2015, 7:54 PM
I do not detest doing anything. I find myself sometimes putting things off but when I just do them I actually enjoy the work. Growing up we fixed our own cars, built a house, shot guns, raised 2 acres of strawberries, a wide variety. I think that makes a difference. And we ate sand.

Myk Rian
06-30-2015, 8:09 PM
Like last summer I pulled out, by hand, a partially decomposed small mammal-squirrel, chipmunk or something like it.
Did that 2 weeks ago. Nasty. Had to take the downspout apart to get at it.

Phil Mueller
06-30-2015, 8:13 PM
I guess I would define "detest" as something I could do, but pay to have it done. In a word, plumbing.

Mike Henderson
06-30-2015, 8:20 PM
Two of mine are drywall work and painting. I don't mind hanging drywall but I don't like finishing it. If I can spray, I'm okay with painting but brush or roller is not something I enjoy.

Mike

Art Mann
06-30-2015, 8:34 PM
As a woodworker who does a lot of surface planing, I despise having to dump the dust collector bin. I dump in the woods behind the house and it is a messy job. Unfortunately, I don't see any way around it.

Jerry Thompson
06-30-2015, 9:11 PM
I am an RN. You don't want to hear about the things I detest!:(

Mark Blatter
07-01-2015, 1:38 AM
In a way I with the others, though it all starts earlier for me. I don't like buying sheetrock because it is just the first step in a long litany of things I detest. Once you buy it, you have to load, then unload it, take it downstairs, or upstairs, or wherever. Then you measure it, cut it, hang it, and then the real nastiness starts. The repeated courses of mudding it, sanding it (with all the grit in your eyes, your hair, etc.).

The worst part is that after spending all that time, you get to what? Yup, paint it. Painting is the next worst thing to rocking. And once you are all done, can you rest? No, because you sit there and see all the little bubbles, the sanding marks, the lines, the shading from high or low spots. There is little that is worse. About the only thing I can think is changing your own oil, but don't get me started on that ugly little chore.

Brian Kent
07-01-2015, 1:45 AM

Jerry wins.

Kent Adams
07-01-2015, 3:09 AM
So today I am digging a ditch from the house to the greenhouse so that there is water in the greenhouse. It's at a depth of 36" to prevent freezing and goes down a steep hill which must be hand dug in rocky soil. The neighbor said something about how bad the task must be and I responded, "at least I'm not painting." Good at painting but detest it even more than hand-digging ditches. What is your task you hate?

I dug a trench last summer, about 30" deep and 20 feet long. I actually enjoyed it, but I wouldn't want to do it for a living. I don't what it is about me, but I actually like digging holes, especially large ones. I detest mowing the lawn though and generally all things "lawn". I do love to plant though. I too have a greenhouse and I'm going to have to replace some of the glass this weekend. I'm NOT looking forward to that!

David Ragan
07-01-2015, 6:49 AM
I guess I would define "detest" as something I could do, but pay to have it done. In a word, plumbing.

Exactly...

David Ragan
07-01-2015, 6:50 AM
As a woodworker who does a lot of surface planing, I despise having to dump the dust collector bin. I dump in the woods behind the house and it is a messy job. Unfortunately, I don't see any way around it.

Where is deep South?

Thats why I devised a system to make it easier, to dump/bag, etc.

David Ragan
07-01-2015, 6:52 AM

I hear you. I wasn't going to go there. Most involve body fluids/exudates.

Bruce Volden
07-01-2015, 10:09 AM
I am an RN. You don't want to hear about the things I detest!

I was a medic in the army in the early '70's. I would still rather pack a pilonidal cyst or debride a burn than fix fence or "heaven forbid" walk soybeans!!!!!

Bruce

Jim Koepke
07-01-2015, 10:47 AM
This is an interesting thread.

I am pretty much at a loss for things I have to do that I detest. Then it came to me that being retired means I do not have to clean up the messes other people make. Well sometimes have to clean up after the wife's messes.

What I used to detest was having to rework or fix things coworkers messed up and didn't care to learn how to do correctly. My last employment involved working on fare collection equipment for a public transit agency. One of the coworkers on the shift before mine would go around thinking he was doing a great job when he was doing more damage than good. The first thing I would do when getting to work is to try to find out which machines he worked on and go set them right.

I have actually had enjoyable days cleaning out horse stalls.

Imaging hanging sheet rock on a hot day would be something I wouldn't like.

jtk

Jesse Busenitz
07-02-2015, 1:29 PM
Ok, I'd tell you the nastiest job I had to do but most of you would probably faint or throw up, or both.... Lets just say it involved a half decomposed cow, manure, and a plugged manure truck. When I think of that job anything else seems sheer delight!

julian abram
07-03-2015, 7:23 PM
Ok, I'd tell you the nastiest job I had to do but most of you would probably faint or throw up, or both.... Lets just say it involved a half decomposed cow, manure, and a plugged manure truck. When I think of that job anything else seems sheer delight!

I think Jesse should be a co-winner. I've worked most of my life around some type of animal agriculture, you can end up with some pretty thankless jobs that would gag most folks.

Prashun Patel
07-03-2015, 8:08 PM
Firing people and deciding what health plan employees will get.

Brian Elfert
07-03-2015, 8:45 PM
I detest painting a finished house. I didn't mind so much painting my house when there was no carpet, doors, or trim. I could move right along painting without spending 90% of my time cutting in around trim, doors, and windows.

David Helm
07-05-2015, 2:38 PM
I agree with all who detest painting. Compared to this, hanging and finishing sheet rock is a breeze.

Rod Sheridan
07-06-2015, 8:16 AM

LOL..........My daughter is also, she has a habit of coming up with those stories during dinner, I no longer ask her how her day was until after dinner.........Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-06-2015, 9:54 AM
I detest replacing a wax ring on a toilet bowl and I am getting ready to do it for the 3rd time in a little over a week. I hate the smell of sewer gas! I gave the "new technology" 2 tries. Now I return to the old technology which has never failed me yet.

David Ragan
07-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Firing people and deciding what health plan employees will get.

These days, everyone gets plenty or warning before being terminated. It's just a natural consequence of their behavior. Is that brutal? Maybe.

there is criteria for all that stuff. I suspect you're just the middleman, right?

Oh- I did clean out the drain yesterday that had the partially decomposed mammal in it last year, I was relieved there was not one yesterday.....just putrified vegetation.

Rich Engelhardt
07-07-2015, 8:06 AM
Tasks you Detest (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?232799-Tasks-you-Detest)

Taking that last trip to the vet......

Worst thing on Earth.

These days, everyone gets plenty or warning before being terminated. It's just a natural consequence of their behavior. Is that brutal? Maybe.LOL! You're kidding right?
I once worked at a car dealer & he would get himself in the "Christmas Spirit" (for the company Christmas party) by firing someone. He did it every year. It was a total random selection and had nothing to do with performance.

I got fired one the day after Christmas - - which was also two days before my six month probation was up and I qualified for benefits like health insurance..I later fund out this was SOP for that place.

Ponderosa Steak House. Remember them? They did the same thing. All there employees were on a 6 month probation and paid less than min. wage. Just before their six months was up, they were more often than not, dismissed.

My wife worked for the county board of DD. All their clients that want to work out in the community are hired for a short time where most of their paycheck is covered by the government. When that runs out, the people are always let go.

I could go on and on, but, being fired these days often has nothing to do with performance. It's often nothing more than a cost cutting measure.

Bert Kemp
07-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Putting in fiberglass insulation in an attic that's a 105 degree's :(:mad:

David Ragan
07-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Taking that last trip to the vet......

Worst thing on Earth.

Absolutely

Ted Calver
07-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Always hated having to work with impossible to meet deadlines. Fortunately those days are over, but the stress takes a toll. Now, as long as I am healthy, there is some satisfaction in just about any task.

David Helm
07-07-2015, 1:35 PM
Putting in fiberglass insulation in an attic that's a 105 degree's :(:mad:

DON'T do this!

Julie Moriarty
07-07-2015, 2:04 PM
What is your task you hate?

I've said many times that after I die, if I find myself hanging fluorescent fixtures on a concrete ceiling, I'll know I'm in hell. Of all the tasks I performed as an electrician, I hate that one the most.