PDA

View Full Version : Lasers are expensive

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
06-29-2015, 11:12 PM
As I mentioned in another thread I've been engraving barnwood but the sanding is slowing me down. So after some research I discovered stroke sanders, something I'd never heard of until recently. So this morning I ordered a Grizzly stroke sander. But my old Pistorius dust collector never has worked very well. So I ordered an Oneida Pro 2000 5 hp setup for dust collection. Then I thought if I'm going to be serious about this barnwood stuff, I need a Powermatic 20" planer with the Byrd Shelix cutter head. Didn't get that ordered but I plan to in the next day or so. I've got to stop looking at the woodworker forums on here.

Bob

Bert Kemp
06-29-2015, 11:59 PM
Bob Were gonna have to check you into Laser Rehab clinic:eek::D;)

Mike Troncalli
06-30-2015, 7:59 AM
Apparently you've never bought a wood lathe... Now THAT gets expensive... :eek:

Howard Garner
06-30-2015, 11:01 AM
Apparently you've never bought a wood lathe... Now THAT gets expensive... :eek:

But nothing compared to a METAL lathe

Joe Lemere
07-03-2015, 12:21 AM
Some glass lathes I've looked at are pretty expensive as well :)

Dan Hintz
07-03-2015, 3:28 AM
Some glass lathes I've looked at are pretty expensive as well :)

Quite a few of those put my Robust American Beauty to shame... and they're often little more than a very basic metal lathe with a few flame attachments.

Mike Troncalli
07-03-2015, 9:27 AM
What got really expensive is when I got so hooked on woodturning that I quit my real job and opened my own business... Looong story....

Neville Stewart
07-03-2015, 9:53 AM
Aren't they just, I took delivery of my new Trotec and realized it will have to be in an air conditioned space, $2500 later, I can now plug it in but he'll what else is money for, oh yes food, a roof....

Keith Winter
07-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Aren't they just, I took delivery of my new Trotec and realized it will have to be in an air conditioned space, $2500 later, I can now plug it in but he'll what else is money for, oh yes food, a roof....

Haha I know what you mean. I did the same thing for my first Trotec, did a built out in a commercial space, and had to add a rooftop ac unit, very expensive.

Roy Sanders
07-03-2015, 1:31 PM
WOW!! I am so out of my league. I am strictly a hobbiest. I imported my Laser from Nice-Cut, I didn't trust eBay, I paid as much in shipping as in the 40W laser. I have a 16x16 work space and so far minor problems. I actually paid for it by a KickStarter campaign. My plan is to engrave/mark .50 caliber machine gun casings with military logo and insignia for veterans.
Once the machine arrived, and I started the learning curve I am discovering more options. My primary niche is turning pens from wood and acrylic.

Reading this thread let me know what real professional engravers and woodworkers are like. I wish all of you success in your business.

Roy

Neville Stewart
07-03-2015, 1:47 PM
Everyone started somewhere Roy Sanders best wishes to you and happy 4th. God Bless the Forces.

Joel Ifill
07-06-2015, 5:52 PM
WOW!! I am so out of my league. I am strictly a hobbiest. I imported my Laser from Nice-Cut, I didn't trust eBay, I paid as much in shipping as in the 40W laser. I have a 16x16 work space and so far minor problems. I actually paid for it by a KickStarter campaign. My plan is to engrave/mark .50 caliber machine gun casings with military logo and insignia for veterans.
Once the machine arrived, and I started the learning curve I am discovering more options. My primary niche is turning pens from wood and acrylic.

Reading this thread let me know what real professional engravers and woodworkers are like. I wish all of you success in your business.

Roy

I bought my trotec with profits from a kickstarter campaign but I had a clear business use and liked not having to farm out the work, plus I've been wanting one for years. I come from the metal machining and fabrication world so these things are cheap compared to even a baby prototrak mill or lathe I have my eyes on.

Mike Null
07-06-2015, 7:46 PM
Roy

We love hobbyists on SMC. Many of us who do this as a business don't have the time to experiment or get creative with our equipment and we end up learning a lot from hobbyists who stick to something until they perfect it. Hobbyists have great ideas!

We do occasionally have a conflict when it comes to pricing our work but that's not a big issue.