PDA

View Full Version : My Brand New Workshop is UP ! (video link added)

Marion Smith
06-29-2015, 7:26 PM
Three guy, four hours...incredible! Windows were out of stock, they will put them in when they get them in the next day or two. I am so blessed!!

Here is a time-lapse video of it going up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E74VTZxItzs

Doug Ladendorf
06-29-2015, 7:35 PM
Hey, that looks pretty snazzy. Roof vent and everything. Congrats on your new shop building. Someone's gonna have fun.

Steve Burland
06-29-2015, 7:44 PM
Very nice.

Randy Red Bemont
06-29-2015, 7:53 PM
I like it and that was fast construction!!

Red

David Ragan
06-29-2015, 7:55 PM
Most Excellent!

Now you gonna show us what goes in it?

You going to put down a floor treatment?

Mike Heidrick
06-29-2015, 9:43 PM
Great!! Lets see the inside and the floor.

SMC and Woodnet have a lot of shops going up this year.

Steve Kinnaird
06-29-2015, 9:58 PM
That looks great!
What size is it?

Marion Smith
06-29-2015, 10:19 PM
16' x 32' with 8ft sidewalls.
Have yet to decide on floor coating or not.

Marion Smith
06-29-2015, 10:54 PM
Here's a pic if the inside.

Marion Smith
06-29-2015, 10:57 PM
And the other view.

Marion Smith
06-29-2015, 10:59 PM
And one of the trusses.

Marion Smith
06-29-2015, 11:12 PM
The tongue and groove flooring cinched up very nicely! No grooves or gaps!
It's got some dirty footprints on it since the site has some freshly moved dirt around it and it has rained incessantly for weeks now. I have a fan going in there to dry it out, then it will clean up nice I hope. The crew was awesome, and didn't seem annoyed with my constant presence. Windows should be in soon, and then we will paint it. Well, as soon as my queen picks out a wall and trim shade!:)

Steve Kinnaird
06-29-2015, 11:20 PM
Is the floor pressure treated T&G Plywood?
What are you considering to put on it?

Bruce Page
06-29-2015, 11:23 PM
You be smilin' now! Very nice!

Marion Smith
06-29-2015, 11:25 PM
Flooring is 2x6 T&G pressure treated. I may apply some poly for floors on it...still just an idea tho.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2015, 12:06 AM
Very, very nice!

Roger Pozzi
06-30-2015, 6:53 AM
Very, very nice! Now I can envy you also.
Really though, enjoy every step of making it yours.

Brian W Smith
06-30-2015, 7:45 AM
Very nice,thanks for posting/pics.

Jeff Ramsey
06-30-2015, 8:38 AM
How many layers of 3/4" T&G flooring are in it?

Mike Wilkins
06-30-2015, 10:57 AM
Looking good so far. Now for some wiring, insulation, plywood on the walls. Tool cabinets. Shiny machinery. A mini-fridge, some music, a stack of lumber and some inspiration.
Will you enclose the attic, or leave it open for storage.
I am planning to enclose my own shop attic space after insulation and a drop down attic door. Will help keep some heat inside during the winter.
Thanks for posting progress pics.

Rick Potter
06-30-2015, 11:43 AM
My first thought was the flooring also. 2X6 T&G pressure treated sounds really good.

I assume the walls and roof were all completed on arrival, and they just had to assemble the pieces? Even so, four hours sounds phenomenal. Either that, or you got yourself a box of 'Instant Shop', just add water and stand back.

Congrats, it looks great.

Marion Smith
06-30-2015, 12:14 PM
How many layers of 3/4" T&G flooring are in it?
Jeff, it's not plywood, it is 2x6 T&G treated pine boards. It's their premium floor. All boards stretch the entire 16ft width of the building. Absolutely no butt joints.

Marion Smith
06-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Thanks for all the comments and questions! Pics are posted for all to share in my joy! I hope they don't truly cause envy.;)
I hope I'm allowed to say here the fine folks at Alpine Structures on 62 in Winesburg (Berlin), Ohio are terrific. I'll post some more pics as things progress for sure.

Phil Thien
06-30-2015, 12:53 PM
Is that a skid foundation? How deep is the gravel base?

Isn't the outside already painted? Or just primed?

Are you going to insulate it and add some sort of wall sheathing inside?

How about power and heating/cooling?

I'm interested in hearing more about your plans.

Doug Ladendorf
06-30-2015, 1:55 PM
Like Phil I'm wondering how you plan to handle electrics, insulation, heating/cooling, flooring, dust collection, compressed air etc. all those things to consider now while it's still at the studs.

Marion Smith
06-30-2015, 6:21 PM
It's sitting on a 4" layer of compacted #57 limestone. The site is very level, is 2ft wider and longer than the 16 x 32 building, and lined around the perimeter with treated 4x4's. It really gives it a more formal look, very appealing to the eye rather than a building sitting on a pile of stone that just looks dumped there.
There are 5 rows of 4x4's on to which the building is then constructed on.
All exposed surfaces are primed, and looks fabulous as is. I will get no complaints waiting for the opportunity to paint it.
No plans for insulation or sheathing at this time.
Plans for permanent electric supply are made, but will need to save up $$$.
Currently, I can get 35 amps in there using two temporary cords.
Heating and cooling will be last considerations I suppose, as I truly find out how much time I'm in there and when.
The workshop is truly a "work in progress" right now.
My work flow and methods will be drastically changed having this 'first ever' dedicated work space. Some habits may be difficult to give up!
I am so looking forward to begin moving stuff in! Probably start around the middle of July.

Von Bickley
06-30-2015, 7:25 PM
Looking Good...... Everybody needs a shop.

Marion Smith
07-01-2015, 3:34 PM
Three guy, four hours...incredible! Windows were out of stock, they will put them in when they get them in the next day or two. I am so blessed!!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2015, 3:39 PM
Your link doesn't work Marion.

Edit...it's working now Marion.

Rick Potter
07-01-2015, 8:47 PM
That is even more amazing, that it included sheeting and roofing the building within the four hours. I forgot about the trusses, and assumed the roof came in two completed sections.

Steve Kinnaird
07-01-2015, 10:17 PM

Loved the video :)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Those boys have OBVIOUSLY played this game before! That is impressive!

Marion Smith
07-01-2015, 11:06 PM
Those boys have OBVIOUSLY played this game before! That is impressive!

You are quite correct Ken! They can, and have done two a day when the locations are close enough together. They also say the preparedness of the site upon arrival has a lot to do with it too.

Kent Adams
07-01-2015, 11:14 PM

Very neat, tilt wall construction. I understand this is how a lot of homes in Scandanavia are built and because they are factory built, they are able to have a lot more precision than on site building.

Art Mann
07-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Many years ago, I purchased my shop from a company that prefabricates the walls and trusses like in the video. The building is 24 X 28 two story with a gambrel roof. The front has two individual aluminum garage doors plus a door on the side. It has a conventional poured concrete floor and foundation. The company came out a few weeks ahead of time and did the concrete work. On construction day, I was awakened at 6:00 by a truck in the back yard similar to what is in the video. I went to work at 7:30 and called my wife around 11:00 to see how things were going. She said they had already packed up and left. I was really worried about that but when I inspected the construction that evening after work, it looked exactly like the model and was built exactly to my specifications. My only complaint is that I chose T1-11 type plywood for the outside. I got tired of painting it in a few years and covered it with insulation and a good grade of vinyl.

Marion Smith
07-02-2015, 11:59 AM
It was asked what's going in the workshop.
My tool list is extensive, so I'll start with the large tools that plug in.
Delta 30A Multiplex RAS
3 Craftsman 100 Table Saws
2 Shopsmiths
Atlas 6" Jointer
Delta Homecraft Bandsaw
Delta Homecraft Bench Drill Press
Delta Milwaukee Floor Drill Press
Rigid Dust Collector
I think I got them all :rolleyes:

Peter Aeschliman
07-02-2015, 4:23 PM
That video was great! I can't believe how much they got done before lunch time!

Does the manufacturer give you a sense for how long the pressure treated skids/foundation will last given that it's sitting right on the ground? Here in the Seattle area, I would worry about eventual rot.

Marion Smith
07-02-2015, 5:58 PM
I didn't ask that question Peter!
It's sitting on 4" of limestone, so it we won't be in contact with the dirt. With all the heavy rain we had prior to the build date, the site never filled with water. I will be adding gutters, so then there will be even less water to get on the stone base. I'm 56, so I'm going to make a call that I will not have to concern myself with 4x4 rot in my lifetime. I will need to REpaint it a couple times though I presume. We'll just have BYOB Paint Parties!

Marion Smith
07-02-2015, 6:19 PM
I did miss one thing that's going in the workshop, but its not a tool.
I have a customized cabinet for my 70's stereo components that I'll drag out there! Then I can hang my two pairs of speakers on the walls too!:cool:

Rick Potter
07-02-2015, 11:42 PM
That's piling on, Marion.

Marion Smith
07-03-2015, 1:56 PM
My windows and shutters are in! Vinyl double hung, the screens are removable, and they tilt in for cleaning. I'm sooo pumped to get started!
Other chores and plans to attend to for now.

Gilbert Vega
07-03-2015, 6:35 PM
Why don't I see the pics? All I see is "attached thumbnails". Are my setting not correct? Thanks

Steve Kinnaird
07-04-2015, 12:09 AM
Why don't I see the pics? All I see is "attached thumbnails". Are my setting not correct? Thanks

You are OK Gilbert. I also see it as an "attached thumbnail"
It is how the poster attached the PIC
Click on the thumbnail and you will get the larger PIC

Steve Kinnaird
07-04-2015, 12:12 AM
My windows and shutters are in! Vinyl double hung, the screens are removable, and they tilt in for cleaning. I'm sooo pumped to get started!
Other chores and plans to attend to for now.

Nice looking windows. I opted to not have any windows for security and nothing for the wood to break. Wish I had got a couple. Might install skylights instead.

Peter Aeschliman
07-06-2015, 1:30 PM
I didn't ask that question Peter!
It's sitting on 4" of limestone, so it we won't be in contact with the dirt. With all the heavy rain we had prior to the build date, the site never filled with water. I will be adding gutters, so then there will be even less water to get on the stone base. I'm 56, so I'm going to make a call that I will not have to concern myself with 4x4 rot in my lifetime. I will need to REpaint it a couple times though I presume. We'll just have BYOB Paint Parties!

Yeah, that makes sense- sitting up on limestone where water doesn't accumulate, plus having a roof over it probably make it just fine.

Marion Smith
07-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Latest Update:
I got a GREEN STICKER from the building inspector!
I can use the building now! Goody goody!!
Now, if it will just stop raining and dry up enough for me to transfer all the workshop stuff over to the shed a load at a time in the truck...grrrrrrrr

Steve Kinnaird
07-07-2015, 10:21 PM
You better be careful before Von sees that post LOL
He told me that I had to stop calling it a shed. After it is built and ready to occupy, it becomes a shop, a workshop or a wood working shop

Marion Smith
07-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Well, between my work schedule, the constant rain, and last but not least, spending time with my bride, I have finally managed to move a few things out of my jam packed garage and into the workshop. Lots more to move, but I'm grabbing all the large items first, then all the rest when time permits.
So far I've moved the Red Star/Delta 40A RAS, 2 of the Craftsman Table Saws, the Greenie Shopsmith, and the two vintage metal cabinets I use for Shopsmith Accessories and Turning what-nots. Takes awhile working solo, and having to unearth things and rearrange the mayhem that is my garage at this time. Soon, the garage will be clutter free tho, and that will be a glorious day!

Marion Smith
07-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Oh, and two more to pile on! The vintage stereo! An unplanned but very pleasant surprise find were my spools of speaker wire I haven't seen in ages!
I get to ROCK ON soon too, life is good.

Rick Potter
07-19-2015, 11:47 AM
I wonder how many 'new' tools you will find in the garage. Just like Christmas!

David L Morse
07-19-2015, 2:01 PM
...The vintage stereo! ...

Is that a primitive Dylos on the top shelf?:D

Marion Smith
07-19-2015, 4:22 PM
I wonder how many 'new' tools you will find in the garage. Just like Christmas!

Good call ! I did find my brand new never used Dewalt angle grinder! I thought I'd lost it! LOL

Marion Smith
07-19-2015, 4:27 PM
Is that a primitive Dylos on the top shelf?:D

It's a Phillips turntable on top, Sherwood receiver, Hitachi tape deck, that I primarily use for the Dolby FM circuit. Off camera are the epi speakers.

Steve Kinnaird
07-19-2015, 6:39 PM
Nice to see it all coming together.
Tunes are very important in the shop !

Bruce Page
07-19-2015, 7:03 PM
Oh, and two more to pile on! The vintage stereo! An unplanned but very pleasant surprise find were my spools of speaker wire I haven't seen in ages!
I get to ROCK ON soon too, life is good.

I used to have an Hitachi 410 cassette deck just like that, you're dating yourself. :)

Are you going to insulate? Now's the time.

Marion Smith
08-10-2015, 1:08 PM
Ok, time for another wiring question.
My 100amp electric service run will be 170 feet from House Main to the Workshop Subpanel.
Wire will be run in conduit underground.
I am choosing Copper Wire.
What gage and type wire options do I have?
I "THINK" I have an open spot in my house main panel to use, how to tell for sure?
Can I come up out of the ground "under" my workshop and into a studspace?
My Workshop Subpanel I picked out has 24 spaces, good?

Franklin Scott
11-16-2015, 8:17 AM
How about an update?
Any decisions on insulation or heating?

Kent Adams
11-16-2015, 6:22 PM

Where is the video link? I can't figure out this thread at all.

Rick Potter
11-16-2015, 6:59 PM
Kent,

See post #28

Bruce Page
11-16-2015, 10:25 PM
Kent,

See post #28

I added Marion's video link to the first post.

Marion Smith
11-21-2015, 8:56 PM
Update?...well, nothing really noteworthy to report right now. I got slammed at work after the shop went up. Our lathe guy had to go on medical leave, (now he's in hospice) and the other two cnc mill guys quit. That left me. I was on 6-12's a week. Things are just now settling down at work, but the days are short and its getting cold. I put the Miata in the far end of the shop Wednesday, it fits in there real nice. I still have no electricity to it other than the extension cords, but I'm working on it! I also got a 32,000btu natural gas heater from a friend today ! Its an oldie but goodie, so now I have another project too, running a gas line out there! I need next spring and summer off with pay! At least I got the garage totally cleaned out before the 12hr workdays hit. I really need to get the front snow blade on my lil cub loboy and get the snowblower prepared also, hopefully tomorrow after service. So, starting monday, I'm on 9's for a little while and Saturdays only as needed. I'm hoping to try and get something done around here for a change, but I'm tired and worn out from months on my feet too much...even my brain is tired. So that's the boring story right now. Maybe some more exciting news soon tho, with pictures of course!