PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the legs off an Incra Router Table Combo

Kent Adams
06-29-2015, 12:50 PM
I have a small wood shop, so everything needs to serve a dual purpose in my shop. I have an Incra Router Table Combo #3 coming and I need an out feed table on my PM2000. If I cut the legs on this table, it can serve a dual purpose as an out feed table and router table. With the stand and top, the router table will be about 38" tall. The PM is slightly over 35" tall. If I cut the legs on this router table to say 35" (not exact but close enough for our hypothetical), is there a drawback to having the router table 3" shorter? The reason I ask is that most commercially available router tables I see are about 38" in height, which must be for a good reason. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Here is the RT in question:

Prashun Patel
06-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Router tables are tall for ergonomics and to allow more storage below. There's no reason other than that. Router tables that are in the tablesaw extension wings work fine and are at the 32-34" height.

The only issue I see is that the Incra router tables use a mounted carriage guide that can't come off the table, so you won't be able to use the entire width of the table as the outfeed. Also, the carriage will stick out the back of the table, so will be limited in how close you can place the router table to the wall, which might be at odds with your positioning for your table saw. All in all, it's a big footprint of a router table for this application. If it works for you, then go for it!

(edit: I may be mistakenly assuming you have the LS positioner on your incra router table. Apologies if that's not correct.)

Jack Lemley
06-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Kent,

I am 5' 6" so the router table being 3" shorter would not be a problem (I actually have an Incra table/leg set combo). If you are 5 or 6 inches taller than me then the the 3" shorter profile might create some back discomfort if used for an extensive period as you would be too hunched over. Other than that I don't know of anything magical about the 38" as it is likely just a compromise height used so that a vendor's tables will be usable by the larger number of folks with varying heights.

Jack

I have a small wood shop, so everything needs to serve a dual purpose in my shop. I have an Incra Router Table Combo #3 coming and I need an out feed table on my PM2000. If I cut the legs on this table, it can serve a dual purpose as an out feed table and router table. With the stand and top, the router table will be about 38" tall. The PM is slightly over 35" tall. If I cut the legs on this router table to say 35" (not exact but close enough for our hypothetical), is there a drawback to having the router table 3" shorter? The reason I ask is that most commercially available router tables I see are about 38" in height, which must be for a good reason. Thanks in advance.

glenn bradley
06-29-2015, 1:18 PM
My router table/cabinet is attached to my tablesaw at the same height. I've had this setup for over a decade and have always enjoyed the additional working surface for both tools.

In your scenario you will need to allow for the tablesaw miter slot travel. As opposed to cutting slots like I have in the past for outfeed tables, I just made my new outfeed 3/8" lower than the saw and the miter bars or sled runners pass right onto the surface. I notice no negative to this small drop in height for an outfeed.

The cabinet to the right in the picture with the pipe strapped to it is my router table which is flush with the tablesaw top. The outfeed/assembly table (which is where your router table would be) sits below the tablesaw height by 3/8" to clear the runners.

P.s. The Saw Stop PCS is quite short. I put it on a small torsion box to bring it to about 36" but, the correct height for you will vary with your own height.

Earl Rumans
06-29-2015, 1:26 PM
I went the other way. I have the Incra fence setup on my saw and I went with the Incra table saw mount for my router. I actually think it's more practical then trying to use the router table as an outfeed table. Here are a couple pics of my table setup.

Table saw mode.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/retfr8flyr/Table5_zps46b0237f.jpg (http://s165.photobucket.com/user/retfr8flyr/media/Table5_zps46b0237f.jpg.html)

Router mode.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u65/retfr8flyr/Table2_zpsdf2c306c.jpg (http://s165.photobucket.com/user/retfr8flyr/media/Table2_zpsdf2c306c.jpg.html)

Doug Ladendorf
06-29-2015, 1:54 PM
...The only issue I see is that the Incra router tables use a mounted carriage guide that can't come off the table...

I've actually been thinking about this as it applies to my TS/router table plans. Why couldn't one use screw in type insert nuts in the table, then screw in the carriage guide when needed? This would make it removable. There could be a couple registration pins under the carriage if needed. That would make it removable.

Kent Adams
06-29-2015, 2:06 PM
Prashun,

I should have posted this in my question, but you are correct with the LS Position system. I don't expect to use the full table but if I can use half of it, its bettern than nothing I guess. I have plenty of room for the LS positioner.

Mike Wilkins
06-29-2015, 3:51 PM
Those are some pretty legs, and I would have trouble cutting them to fit to a table saw. Why not attach the top (if it is narrow enough) to the right side of the saw if you have enough room in the shop. In other words, replace the saws' table. Or build a cabinet, attach the top, and set it to the right rear of the saw (again if you have enough shop space). You can build the cabinet to the correct height, and gain some valuable storage space as well.
The problem I have with this type of stand is all the clear wasted space under the table top and router.

Kent Adams
06-29-2015, 4:10 PM
Those are some pretty legs, and I would have trouble cutting them to fit to a table saw. Why not attach the top (if it is narrow enough) to the right side of the saw if you have enough room in the shop. In other words, replace the saws' table. Or build a cabinet, attach the top, and set it to the right rear of the saw (again if you have enough shop space). You can build the cabinet to the correct height, and gain some valuable storage space as well.
The problem I have with this type of stand is all the clear wasted space under the table top and router.

Mike, good questions. I have plenty of table to the right on the TS (I have a 52 inch fence), but perhaps it could fit in there. I'll check.

You can build a cabinet inside this router table, which is what I intend to do. There are some really nice ones out there. Here's one:

http://s589.photobucket.com/user/mwheffernan/media/Routertablecomplete1.jpg.html#/user/mwheffernan/media/Routertabledrawers.jpg.html?&_suid=14356085407900871645309861925

Yeah, I don't like the idea of cutting them either, but I'm running out of ideas for such a small workshop.

Kent Adams
06-29-2015, 5:42 PM
Glenn, I really like your out feed table, love it as a matter of fact. I could fit one behind my table saw that size, but I wouldn't have a place to put for the router table, which is 43x27. I

However, putting the table saw on a platform isn't something I've thought about. I'm not sure how I'd even do that in the small space I have but its worth thinking about.

glenn bradley
06-29-2015, 5:52 PM
Glenn, I really like your out feed table, love it as a matter of fact. I could fit one behind my table saw that size, but I wouldn't have a place to put for the router table, which is 43x27. I

However, putting the table saw on a platform isn't something I've thought about. I'm not sure how I'd even do that in the small space I have but its worth thinking about.

I was just trying to show how you can have the outfeed without having to route grooves for the miter slots ;-)

Bill McNiel
06-29-2015, 6:00 PM
316507I have the LS Positioner and on the very rare times I need the full width it takes approx. 1 minute to remove the four bolts that secure the mount. Had I not allready had the table built with storage I might well have used the Positioner like Earl did.

Kent Adams
06-29-2015, 8:12 PM
Nice set up Earl!

Earl McLain
06-29-2015, 10:07 PM
I bought a pair of Incra table saw extension legs cheap at a sale--didn't realize until i got home that the extrusions had been cut to 30" length, i needed 32 1/2" to 33". I've got them on blocks, but if by chance 30" would work for your purpose i might be interested in a swap for 2 longer ones. On the other hand--i've adapted and it's working fine.

earl