PDA

View Full Version : Raster Engraving on wood resulting in Rough Uneven Edges - Like edges on a coin

Tim Earling
06-29-2015, 12:59 AM
I am doing a raster engraving on wood and getting really rough uneven edges. Looks like the edges on the side of a coin. I had this problem before and changed my lens and it was fine. Now it has come back. I thought is was my laser tube and I just had it replaced. I attached a picture. Any help would be great, I cannot seem to get smooth edges on this project.

Dan Hintz
06-29-2015, 7:56 AM
Bad pic, so it's difficult to tell if the rough edge is just the bottom of the cut, through the middle, or at the top, as well. Either way, consider running a vector cut on the outline of the letters to clean things up.

Matt Geraci
06-29-2015, 8:08 AM
I could be way off, but using only the picture you provided... it looks like you're engraving into a plywood? I'd bet you're engraving just deep enough to cut through the entire first layer of the top ply. The rough edges you're seeing could be the glue which may be an "uneven" substrate under that top ply, thus the laser is cutting through an inconsistent sticky layer. Either reduce power/increase speed to cut a bit shallower or crank it up to dig deeper and vaporize that layer of glue. I bet if you run a vector cut it'll clean it up like Dan says, but I bet some of those little intrusions of glue will remain? Just a thought. Good luck!

Jerome Stanek
06-29-2015, 10:16 AM
could you do a lite vecter cut after your raster to clean it up

Tim Bateson
06-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Is this text or graphic text? Zoom in on your original .cdr file and verify those edges are smooth.

Kim Vellore
06-29-2015, 11:32 AM
try to engrave card stock, paper or plexi to see if you get the same result, then you can determine if it is the laser the wood.

Tim Earling
06-30-2015, 12:55 AM
Thank you all for your feedback.
I am getting better results. I did a couple things. I loosened the tension belt. I had switched my lens holder assembly from my Helix to my Mini (both 45 watt lasers and exact same lens holders - did this because my Helix lens is brand new). I did not think this was big deal, but it may have been the problem. When I put it back in, it rastered much better.
I also tightened up the screws around the carriage and cleaned the belts and cog (gear connect to the motor).