PDA

View Full Version : Need help with cutting out veneer....

Jay Jolliffe
06-27-2015, 11:50 AM
I'm making a table top that will be veneered with Mahogany with an inlay of the island in the picture in maple. So far I've tried to cut it out
twice & didn't work out to good. Keep breaking some off the little bits. Any input that might make this any easier would be helpful. I'm not trying to do it in one piece. The length of the Island has to be around 24" long....Could this be cut out with CNC ?316394

Mike Henderson
06-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Have you put a backing (really, a fronting) on the veneer? When I do detail veneer work, I use wide veneer tape (about 2" wide) and apply it to the show face of the veneer prior to cutting. The paper helps to hold the veneer together in those small cross grain areas.

You lay the veneer with the paper up, then remove the paper after pressing.

But that design is pretty difficult. Maybe since it's 24" the details are not too small. You might have to skip some of the really small details to make it work.

Mike

Chris Padilla
06-27-2015, 5:01 PM
I assume you're using a scroll saw. If not, that is the tool you need.

Otherwise, do as Mike suggested. You need to beef up the veneer and stabilize it/strengthen it with veneer tape, blue painter's tape, thin plywood, thin MDF, poster board, grey board (think the heavy stock on a tablet of paper) and things like that.

Are you cutting commercial veneer? That stuff is pretty darn thin.

Jay Jolliffe
06-27-2015, 6:44 PM
No scroll saw....It is commercial veneer....I'm going to take Mikes & your advice & do a layer of Veneer tape....

Bill White
06-27-2015, 7:11 PM
What saw ARE ya using?
Bill

Jay Jolliffe
06-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Not using a saw. I ATG tape the Maple veneer to a copy of the Island that is printed on thick paper. I use a router with 1/8" bit to cut it out. Sand the edges then tape it to the Mahogany veneer where I want it, cut the outline around the map with a exacto knife through the veneer. Veneer tape it together then press it in vacuum press....Is there an easier way ? Mike....Where did you get the 2" veneer tape.

Mike Henderson
06-28-2015, 1:09 PM
Not using a saw. I ATG tape the Maple veneer to a copy of the Island that is printed on thick paper. I use a router with 1/8" bit to cut it out. Sand the edges then tape it to the Mahogany veneer where I want it, cut the outline around the map with a exacto knife through the veneer. Veneer tape it together then press it in vacuum press....Is there an easier way ? Mike....Where did you get the 2" veneer tape.
Paul Schurch (http://www.schurchwoodwork.com/tools/S302_S302.html). It's good tape, meaning it sticks - which is not true of some of the veneer tape I've tried (narrower stuff, not 2"). Get a brass bristle brush (not too stiff) and use it to brush the veneer tape into the veneer so you get good contact all over. You don't want to lose a small piece off the end because the veneer tape was not adhered well.

I would probably use a knife to cut it out, also, but a scroll saw would also work well. If you were to use a scroll saw, you would be best to prepare the veneer into a packet with cardboard on top and bottom to prevent splintering and breakage. You also generally need to put small pins through the packet to keep the veneer from shifting as you cut it out.

Mike

Alan Lightstone
06-28-2015, 6:24 PM
I used Paul Schurch's advice and use a scalpel to cut our veneer. I find it's far sharper than a knife. You can find them for peanuts on Amazon. And, yes, good veneer tape is key.

Bryan Cramer
06-28-2015, 7:26 PM
I agree with the above, but just want to add that another tool would be a CNC laser. It would feel like cheating it is so easy to cut stuff like that out.

Chris Padilla
06-29-2015, 1:33 PM
Google up Swan Morton scalpel. I think Paul Schurch uses the 10A blades (non-sterilized) and whatever the handle is to hold them.

The handle is like $10 and you can get 100 blades for like $30. If you want something sharp to use, this is the product to have in your tool box.

Jeffrey Martel
06-29-2015, 3:37 PM

This is how I cut out my veneer. Cover the back side of it with either scotch tape or masking tape. When you cut it out, make at least 4 or 5 passes with the knife rather than trying to cut it out in 1 or two. Cut all cross grain cuts first before cutting with the grain, and cut in rather than away when coming to a corner. Meaning for an outside corner, start at the corner and go backwards rather than going to the corner.