PDA

View Full Version : Hingecrafter Total Costs

Larry Frank
06-26-2015, 9:25 PM
I am looking at getting the Incra Hingecrafter. But, looking at the instructions and they show using the Whiteside bit set which is about $180 and then the Positioner which is $200+.

Is it necessary to use the bullnose bits or can you use roundover bits to make the profile?

The same type of question for making the finger joints. I have a jig that I regularly make them with..is that good enough or do you need to do them with the positioner or ibox?

I would like to use the Hingecrafter but the way they are suggesting would mean spending a total of around $500 and that puts it out of my price range.

Michelle Rich
06-27-2015, 6:00 AM
I'd look at another brand of bullnose bits..try MLCS..they are not expensive..as long as your finger joints are consistent and well spaced, you are a-ok. a homemade positioner, that you can find plans for just about everywhere will work fine.

glenn bradley
06-27-2015, 8:36 AM
The quality is top notch but, the cost of ownership always puts me off. I'd have to make a lot of wooden hinges to justify the rig but, if you do, it is well thought out and quite accurate by all accounts I've read. The amount of use also speaks to what the bits actually cost over time. For a given amount of use, the MLCS bits will be more expensive because they don't last as long as something like the Whiteside products. If you will only use it a little or are unsure, cheaper bits make sense as long as the profiles are accurate. If you start cranking out hinges like mad, you can justify the longer lasting cutters.