PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum/Downdraft Table Fighting Upper Exhaust

Keith Winter
06-26-2015, 3:49 PM
Just got our new speedy 400 120w up and running. It's awesome, but we're having an odd thing happen with the downdraft cutting table.

Issue is when you are engraving and cutting on the same piece the vacuum table fights the upper exhaust, it's not as big as the upper so it loses the battle, but it does create a rotation of the smoke inside the machine, almost like a convection oven, the two exhausts fighting each other. Also makes smoke marks on wood when it's engraved. The cutting/vacuum table is pulling with a 2" port and the upper exhaust is with a 4" port. It was suggested to us by Trotec that we lay something over all the rest of the grid while engraving so it doesn't fight the upper exhaust. This is kind of a pain when you have a combo cut/engrave piece you're doing, to piecemeal over the other parts of the grid since sizes of things we do vary. I had thought of putting a blast gate on the 2" vacuum to decrease it's pull more as well, but I thought I'd ask on here if anyone else had experience with the vacuum table/downdraft table fighting the upper exhaust and how you resolved it?

Michael Kowalczyk
06-26-2015, 6:44 PM
get a blast gate so you can adjust it your self http://www.blastgateco.com/Cast-Aluminum-Full-Blast-Gates.php I have 2 on mine

Scott Marquez
06-26-2015, 6:58 PM
I use my table for cutting Cordura fabrics and such, when my working piece isn't as large as my table, I place scrap fabric into the open spots and it really does a great job of pulling my working piece to the table. You could use strips of cardboard or thick paper to get the same results.
Scott

Keith Winter
06-26-2015, 8:30 PM
WOW! They sell the mythological 2"! :eek: Been looking all over for 2" connections for this Trotec vacuum, I was starting to think they were some sort of mythological three headed beast! HD, Lowes, Amazon, none of them had the 3" to 2" connectors for ducts, had to buy some pvc connections and cut some pipe to make it work. All the connections I've been able to find are 2.5", 3" or 4". Do you by chance know where to find the magic 4" to 2" or 3" to 2" reducer adapter for metal ducting? :)

get a blast gate so you can adjust it your self http://www.blastgateco.com/Cast-Aluminum-Full-Blast-Gates.php I have 2 on mine