PDA

View Full Version : Symposium Verion 3

David Delo
06-26-2015, 3:20 PM
Hectic, energetic, crowded & exciting to say the least. What a day!!! Couple tidbits.....

1.) The Robust AB with the long table and 3hp is a beast of a lathe.

2.) Powermatic has a swing-away option for the 3520B. No pricing today but maybe at the end of the show.

3.) Powermatic has a little clip bracket for the spindle lock bottom to keep it engaged. Free give-away. I'll see how it works.

4.) Depending on who you speak with, the 3520C machine is maybe next year or never heard of C machine plans.

Here's an upload dump like yesterday in no particular order.

http://s191.photobucket.com/user/davedelo/library/Symposium%20Friday

Brian Kent
06-26-2015, 3:40 PM
Great photos David!

Geoff Whaling
06-26-2015, 4:57 PM
Its really starting to flesh out now - time to get serious. Don't envy you making demo choices. Too many on the program :-0

Thom Sturgill
06-26-2015, 5:32 PM
Jet talked about an upgrade to the 1642 'coming in about a year' when I talked to them at the Tampa symposium 2 years ago. I take anything they say with a grain of salt until I see at least prototypes...

Enjoy the Symposium, I am jealous!

The powermatic swing away looks like Tom Steyer's (JT Turning Tools) "Down n' Out" design. $359 for the Powermatic. I bought one for the Jet 1642 and love it.

Doug Ladendorf
06-26-2015, 10:55 PM
David, I'm afraid I posted some Friday pictures to your Thursday thread, sorry!

I asked (Nick Cook) if the PM swing away would work with the lower bed extension and it does.

I got a similar non-committal wink about the 3520C.

Doug Thompson has 1/8" parting tools here. He hadn't been able to get the heat treatment right last I spoke to him but was working on it. I picked one up and it's very nice.

I saw Robo but he was engaged with a customer. Will try to say hello tomorrow.

gary jarvis
06-26-2015, 11:49 PM
I bought my 3520B in Dec. The label plate on the lathe says rev c. The only change I could find was they added a clip bracket for a spindle lock

Michelle Rich
06-27-2015, 5:32 AM
thank you David for sharing the pictures..enjoyed the peek at pittsburgh

David Delo
06-27-2015, 7:03 AM
David, I'm afraid I posted some Friday pictures to your Thursday thread, sorry!

I asked (Nick Cook) if the PM swing away would work with the lower bed extension and it does.

I got a similar non-committal wink about the 3520C.

Doug Thompson has 1/8" parting tools here. He hadn't been able to get the heat treatment right last I spoke to him but was working on it. I picked one up and it's very nice.

I saw Robo but he was engaged with a customer. Will try to say hello tomorrow.

Doug,

I got the same answer about the lower bed extension & the down & out. However, I use my bed extension in the upper position and then want to use the down & out attacthed to the end of the extension. They couldn't give a definitive answer on that. On my machine, there's one non-tapped hole on the end-face of the bed extension. I'm going to make a paper template and take it to the show today and see how it looks.

Allan Wright
06-27-2015, 10:19 AM
I'd love to see a tutorial video on how the ring gear edge was done on the bowl in this photo: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z132/davedelo/Symposium%20Friday/2015-06-26_13-15-23_379_zpsdw1nhrev.jpg

Very unique!

Pat Scott
06-27-2015, 11:51 AM
Wish I was there! As soon as the Powermatic swing away is available, I'm buying one! Can you get a picture of the spindle lock?

David Delo
06-27-2015, 2:49 PM
Wish I was there! As soon as the Powermatic swing away is available, I'm buying one! Can you get a picture of the spindle lock?

Pat,

Very simple install. You could make something similar on your own but anyway......just a small flat piece that fits inside of the radius ears of the spindle lock button and then a bent piece that slides overtop of the button and holds it in place. Lift the bent piece to disengage. Doesn't hold the spindle perfectly tight, maybe a degree or two slop each way but good enough to free up 1 hand. Only way I know of to get perfect dead-nuts no movement in the spindle is picture 3.

316403 316404 316405

Pat Scott
06-27-2015, 5:00 PM
Cool, thanks David. I saw that spindle lock before on a lathe at Craft Supplies. I thought maybe Powermatic had a different one at the symposium. But I'll have to get one of those also when they become available for sale. I could make one, but then the color wouldn't match my lathe!

Mark Greenbaum
06-27-2015, 6:20 PM
I believe the color could be the same as International Harvester Safety Yellow. I used to design and fabricate ergonomic handling equipment, and we painted it that color for visibility and branding.

http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/graphics/paint_chips_50-53_high.jpg

John Beaver
06-28-2015, 9:02 PM
Alan Wright. It's an actual ring gear from a transmission. Would have been cool if it was wood. The bowl was beautifully turned.