PDA

View Full Version : Router Poster

Kent Adams
06-25-2015, 7:40 PM
I'm brand new to using a router. Can anyone recommend a poster that illustrates the profiles created by different bits that I can hang in my shop? I'm looking for a poster with good, clear photo illustrations of profiles with bit names. An added bonus would be a chart that shows the proper speeds for different size bits. I'll be using a PC 7518 in my table. Thanks in advance.

Lee Schierer
06-25-2015, 7:44 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a chart like you are seeking, but Freud used to have some nice catalogs that showed their selection of cutters.

Mitchell Garnett
06-25-2015, 8:09 PM
I thought I'd do a little digging on the Internet and quickly came up with something from Amana that might answer your question. I don't think I am allowed to post the link so go to Amanatool's website, select products, then router bits. Then mid-way down the page on the left you'll see a button titled "view router bit index".

I found several other pages by searching for "router bit profile chart" but this looks closest to what I think you are requesting.

Mitchell

johnny means
06-25-2015, 8:17 PM
Contact Amana and ask for a catalog. All the cutters wool have illustrations with dimensions.

Kent Adams
06-25-2015, 9:01 PM
I thought I'd do a little digging on the Internet and quickly came up with something from Amana that might answer your question. I don't think I am allowed to post the link so go to Amanatool's website, select products, then router bits. Then mid-way down the page on the left you'll see a button titled "view router bit index".

I found several other pages by searching for "router bit profile chart" but this looks closest to what I think you are requesting.

Mitchell

Mitchell, thanks for the search, but unfortunately, that only shows a few profiles with vague categories.

Here is the link: http://www.amanatool.com/category_view_index?id=90

Allan Speers
06-25-2015, 9:15 PM
I've looked many times for the same diagram. Amazingly it doesn't seem to exist. - And the same goes for molding planes.

There is a small selection showing the most common shapes in Bill Hylton's book "Ultimate Guide To The Router Table." This is an excellent book & I highly recommend it for the beginner-to-mid woodworker.

Steve Kinnaird
06-25-2015, 10:09 PM
Sounds like an opportunity for someone (not me, I have a workshop to build) to get creative.

William Adams
06-25-2015, 11:28 PM
The MLCS catalog seems to do a good job of showing what bit in what orientation will cut what.

Tom Ewell
06-25-2015, 11:43 PM
Considering the plethora of available bit sizes, profiles and brand specifics, such a chart might cover an entire wall of your shop.

Most sites categorize profiles by function and you take it from there.

MLCS (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/routerbit.html) would be a good place to start the learning curve. They carry a diverse selection and quite often items that one didn't know one needed.

Kent Adams
06-25-2015, 11:59 PM
I've looked many times for the same diagram. Amazingly it doesn't seem to exist. - And the same goes for molding planes.

There is a small selection showing the most common shapes in Bill Hylton's book "Ultimate Guide To The Router Table." This is an excellent book & I highly recommend it for the beginner-to-mid woodworker.

You know, maybe there is a market need for this, don't know. I ordered that book, thanks for the tip.

Mike Heidrick
06-26-2015, 5:25 AM
Take your bits and cut small strip piece of each. Glue or brad a profile and face piece of each and write the name on each. i run anything less than 1.5" as fast as I can spin it. Different woods hve different results. ALso number of passesand deth of pass. Use yourfence. Above all just prctice, be safe, dont overthink it, and the best advice - make the router work. Too slow and too light will burn. That 7518 kicks up torque whne you work it. Go to a ww experienced friends shop and have him show you.

Larry Edgerton
06-26-2015, 7:03 AM
Porter Cable used to have such a poster. I had one on the door of my old shop, but left it when I moved. Maybe ebay?

Ken Massingale
06-26-2015, 7:04 AM
Did you keep scrolling down Kent?
I see around 200 profiles plus accessories.
Ken

Mitchell, thanks for the search, but unfortunately, that only shows a few profiles with vague categories.

Here is the link: http://www.amanatool.com/category_view_index?id=90