PDA

View Full Version : Symposium Pictures II

David Delo
06-25-2015, 4:14 PM
Here's a bunch of pics I took today during my volunteer shift. 40+ pics that I just put to my photobucket page. Too many pics to resize so it's just a bulk upload. Trade show area looks to be well attended with what looks to be some interesting demonstration. Instant gallery/auction area was starting to fill up towards mid-day and looks be be a real show highlight. Had to leave but looking good for tomorrow.

http://s191.photobucket.com/user/davedelo/library/AAW%20Symposium%20Pittsburgh%202015

Brian Kent
06-25-2015, 8:38 PM
Thank you so much, David. Are the tables of turnings being judged or a display and share your work?

charlie knighton
06-25-2015, 9:16 PM
thanks David

Brain......the instant gallery is a display area, can be sold, can ask for critiqueing......seems like there is a rotation for public critiqueing usally on sunday I believe......weather you are a newbie or 30 year turner the big thing is you have the opportunity to participate.......most people do not decide to go to a national symposium the week before....so they agonize on which turnings to bring.....but participate whatever your level

David Delo
06-25-2015, 9:18 PM
These pics are a mixture of bowls for sale for $25.00 & pens for $15.00 to benefit a local charity and some that are auctioned off. If you see some type of folded name-plate next to the piece, it's for auction online & live and most probably done by some of the bigger names in the wood turning art world. These pics were taken when I had a few minutes of free time and only a small percentage of pieces had been put out. Looking forward to seeing this area completely set-up tomorrow.

Geoff Whaling
06-26-2015, 5:49 AM
David,

Thank you for the photos. That is my Jarrah goblet "Diamond Lil" in the first pic. Its to be auctioned in the AAW EOG auction Friday night your time. I'm more than a little happy that it has survived the long trip from Townsville in Far North Queensland, Australia and has arrived in one piece. It only weighs about 35g or an ounce and a bit.

Enjoy the symposium and don't give the CC to much of a hit.

David Delo
06-26-2015, 6:07 AM
Geoff, I recognized your goblet immediately. Looks good from the pictures you posted before but much more impressive live-in-person.

Mark Greenbaum
06-26-2015, 7:20 AM
These pics are a mixture of bowls for sale for $25.00 & pens for $15.00 to benefit a local charity and some that are auctioned off. If you see some type of folded name-plate next to the piece, it's for auction online & live and most probably done by some of the bigger names in the wood turning art world. These pics were taken when I had a few minutes of free time and only a small percentage of pieces had been put out. Looking forward to seeing this area completely set-up tomorrow.

The club I am in, TAW (TN Association of Woodturners), made and is donating over 300 bowls for the auction (Open Bowls). I think our former president, Jeff Brockett, turned close to 100 of them himself. He's there and in one of the photos at the registration booth. He has been one of my mentors since I started turning about 4 years ago.

Geoff Whaling
06-26-2015, 4:48 PM
David, Funny how most people say an item is "much more impressive live-n person." Jarrah darkens with age, or probably better to say its color becomes richer. I believe your American cherry does the same. Glad you liked it & that it lives up to expectations. thank you.

If you get a chance go into Neil Turner's demos and check out his impressive items in the gallery - you won't be disappointed.

Steve Kinnaird
06-26-2015, 6:28 PM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like a lot of beautiful work on display.

Doug Ladendorf
06-26-2015, 10:28 PM
The talent on display is inspiring. Here is a wide shot of the gallery.

Open Bowls.

Today I got to enjoy presentations from a couple guys who made it look sooo easy. :-)

Lyle Jamison

David Ellsworth