PDA

View Full Version : Is ground needed for laser operation?

jarrod lineberry
06-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Is the ground for safety or is it required for operation. Is hooking everything to grounded outlets good enough?

walter hofmann
06-25-2015, 10:50 AM
ground is required for both operation and safety. only if the outlets have a real ground and not connected to the neutral. the best is a extra ground rod about 6 feet long in the soil or second best a metal waterpipe from the main
greetings
waltfl

Scott Marquez
06-25-2015, 11:02 AM
I placed the ground wire from the chassis of the machine to the center screw on my plug-in outlet.
i didn't have access to anything better, it seems to be ok.
Scott

Keith Winter
06-25-2015, 11:58 AM
What manufacturer and model of machine are you trying to ground jarrod?

Is the ground for safety or is it required for operation. Is hooking everything to grounded outlets good enough?

jarrod lineberry
06-25-2015, 12:35 PM
Redsail x700 50watt rdlc320-a controller

AL Ursich
06-25-2015, 2:04 PM
Do a internet search on "Ground Loop" where it relates to using a additional ground rod. You will see where it could be a problem.

John Noell
06-25-2015, 2:08 PM
I placed the ground wire from the chassis of the machine to the center screw on my plug-in outlet.
i didn't have access to anything better, it seems to be ok.
Scott IF that screw is tied to ground, NOT the neutral, I would think it is okay. BUT, on a Chinese laser with high DC voltage, I want my machine frame grounded ("earthed" down here).

Bill George
06-25-2015, 7:55 PM
To be legal any ground rods on the premises (US) must be all connected together and then connected to the main panel grounding bar. The laser I have from China has the equipment or metal grounded to the green wire, as it should be, that's all you need. If you want to argue Code or otherwise I can drag out my books, but this has been covered before.

jarrod lineberry
06-25-2015, 9:12 PM
I figured surely a grounded outlet was good enough

Bill George
06-25-2015, 9:32 PM
I figured surely a grounded outlet was good enough
Thats all I have on mine. If I wanted and I don't I have a nice 6 ft all copper ground rod I used for my Ham Radio that could be used but is not , because of what I posted above. As a (retired) licensed electrian I am suppose to know better.