PDA

View Full Version : Ketchup

Rich Engelhardt
06-25-2015, 7:49 AM
Which is best?

John Conklin
06-25-2015, 8:06 AM
Well... a few members of my wife's family works at a ketchup plant and they get it for us from the "company store". They have one recipe they cook and bottle for run of the mill store brands and will do custom batches if the purchaser has their own recipe. The funny thing is we've had bottles labeled for stores in just about every state and stores you've never heard of. One time we got a bottle packed for sale in Puerto Rico and another in New Zealand. We swore those two tasted different, but probably were the default recipe.

Sooo... I vote other!

Alan Bienlein
06-25-2015, 8:07 AM
What ever the wife buys!

John Conklin
06-25-2015, 8:15 AM
Another ketchup related story...

My mom always made homemade ketchup from tomatoes in our garden. When I was old enough to think I knew something, I started complaining because it wasn't like the stuff at McDonalds, the school cafeteria, or my friend's house. I persisted until she gave up making it and just bought it from the store.

What I would give to have a jar of that ketchup (and my mom) around today.

George Bokros
06-25-2015, 8:18 AM
Simply Heinz since it eliminates the high fructose corn syrup. We just tried the Hunts equivalent and do like it as well.

Which do you prefer Rich?

Rod Sheridan
06-25-2015, 9:25 AM
Which is best?

Heinz ketchup made in Canada.

No idea why however when I travel in the US the Heinz tastes awful........Regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
06-25-2015, 9:27 AM
Simply Heinz since it eliminates the high fructose corn syrup. We just tried the Hunts equivalent and do like it as well.

Which do you prefer Rich?

Is that why it tastes so much different than the ketchup in Canada?

Corn syrup in ketchup?

regards, Rod.

Jay Jolliffe
06-25-2015, 9:29 AM
Annie's Organic

George Bokros
06-25-2015, 9:32 AM

Corn syrup in ketchup?

regards, Rod.

Yes ketchup does have high fructose corn syrup, read the label.

Canada may have banned the use of high fructose corn syrup like they have in Europe. UPDATE just found out it is not banned in Europe. Its use is restricted because enough cannot be produced.

I know that Coke sold in Mexico uses sugar instead.

Mac McQuinn
06-25-2015, 9:49 AM
Whole Foods "365" house brand, Organic.
Mac

Mel Fulks
06-25-2015, 10:07 AM
At age 67 some foods I've always liked ...just don't taste right. Ketchup is one of them. Seems more acid than before. I HATE for things to be my fault....but as Shakesauce said, " the fault is not in the sauce ...but in ourselves"

Rich Engelhardt
06-25-2015, 10:14 AM
@ George ( and everyone else)

Simply Heinz is my favorite since it uses sugar instead of HFCS.

Phil Thien
06-25-2015, 10:15 AM
The stuff Aldi sells is fine.

What Aldi doesn't have, I don't need.

John Coloccia
06-25-2015, 10:47 AM

Corn syrup in ketchup?

regards, Rod.

I switched to Simply Heinz after having some ketchup in Canada. Reminded me of the ketchup I grew up with. Once I figured out the difference was the corn syrup, I switched.

John Lanciani
06-25-2015, 11:03 AM

+1. It is a night and day difference in taste between Heinz and Simply Heinz.

Larry Browning
06-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Whatever is on sale. I can't tell the difference between any of them. I have an "untrained" pallet I suppose. I can't tell the difference between gourmet coffee and the Wal-mart brand either. I think of it as a blessing which saves me a LOT of money.
I can tell the difference between a premium beer and cheap beer though.:mad: If I couldn't, I would have more tools!

Chris Padilla
06-25-2015, 11:11 AM
I've always thought ketchup was ketchup but we mostly have Heinz around the house. I'll have to look for and try the Simply Heinz one of these days.

David Helm
06-25-2015, 3:55 PM
I use Woodstock because it is organic and certified non GMO. Flavor is quite good. No HFCS.

Pat Barry
06-25-2015, 4:02 PM
Nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog. H Callahan

Sorry - the video in the link doesn't work

Kent A Bathurst
06-25-2015, 5:08 PM

Bingo.

If any of y'all have never tried this version, you should do yourself a favor.

You can taste the difference. No foolin'.

James Baker SD
06-25-2015, 5:19 PM
Heinz 57 because I loved Sargent Gallant of the French Foreign Legion (my Dad was stationed in Casablanca when that show was on the air).

Jason Roehl
06-25-2015, 5:20 PM
I've always thought ketchup was ketchup but we mostly have Heinz around the house. I'll have to look for and try the Simply Heinz one of these days.

I can't say I notice a big difference, but I like Heinz, and that's what we've pretty much always bought (in #10 cans the last decade or so since I also make a killer BBQ sauce with Heinz ketchup as the main ingredient). I may have to try the Simply Heinz, just for grins.

Nobody puts ketchup on a hot dog. H Callahan

Sorry - the video in the link doesn't work

Depends on what else is going on the hot dog. I don't eat a lot of them, but for just a run-of-the-mill hotdog, I like ketchup, mustard and relish on mine.

Philip Johnson
06-25-2015, 6:09 PM
Seems we always buy Heinz but the best ketchup I ever had was at macdonalds in Rome have no idea what brand it was but sure would like to get some.

Howard Garner
06-25-2015, 6:34 PM
YUK!! to all of them

Kent A Bathurst
06-25-2015, 6:45 PM
Depends on what else is going on the hot dog. I don't eat a lot of them, but for just a run-of-the-mill hotdog, I like ketchup, mustard and relish on mine.

Then you are definitely eating something.

But - it is not A Hot Dog. Which comes with mustard only, unless you want to add diced onions. Those are the only options for A Hot Dog. Ditto for A Bratwurst, in case you were wondering.

Jerry Thompson
06-25-2015, 6:52 PM
"None" should have been a question option choice. I cannot stand the stuff.

Phil Thien
06-25-2015, 7:03 PM

But - it is not A Hot Dog. Which comes with mustard only, unless you want to add diced onions. Those are the only options for A Hot Dog. Ditto for A Bratwurst, in case you were wondering.

Brats should be parboiled in beer, and then finished-off on the grill. Alternately, you can do it all on the grill if you know what you're doing.

They should be served with mustard and onions. Sauerkraut should be available for people so inclined.

I think the German Beer Purity Law goes into all of this.

I'm actually on my way home to enjoy some brats. Usingers this time around but we also get them from a couple of small butcher shops.

Ryan Mooney
06-25-2015, 7:13 PM
The stuff LOML makes, with or without curry in it either way. Yum!

Barry McFadden
06-25-2015, 7:14 PM
Heinz.......didn't think there was much difference between brands....grew up using Heinz....I have a brother who lives in the USA and anytime I go to visit him his wife always asks me to bring down some Heinz because , like has been said here already, it's better than the Heinz in the States...

Brian Elfert
06-25-2015, 8:30 PM
"None" should have been a question option choice. I cannot stand the stuff.

I agree 100%. I won't eat ketchup of any brand. I grill hot dogs and brats for a large group once a month and I just buy whatever ketchup is cheap. Nobody has ever commented positively or negatively about the ketchup.

Wade Lippman
06-25-2015, 9:06 PM
I haven't had ketchup in 40 years. Anything that tastes better with ketchup shouldn't be eaten.

ken masoumi
06-25-2015, 9:30 PM
I like Heinz Ketchup but if it older than 6 months, it'll taste too sour.I always buy their smaller bottles for that reason.

Harold Burrell
06-25-2015, 10:46 PM
I don't eat ketchup.

Jason Roehl
06-26-2015, 7:43 AM
Brats should be parboiled in beer, and then finished-off on the grill. Alternately, you can do it all on the grill if you know what you're doing.

They should be served with mustard and onions. Sauerkraut should be available for people so inclined.

I'm actually on my way home to enjoy some brats. Usingers this time around but we also get them from a couple of small butcher shops.

For brats, it's spicy mustard and sauerkraut (preferably homemade) for me. I don't parboil them anymore, because I can't stand to waste my good beer that way, and I think it cooks too much of the juice (fat/grease) out of them. For a real treat, sometimes I smoke them. Side of Bush's baked beans.

Amazing there's such passion here regarding tube steaks! ;)

Harold Burrell
06-26-2015, 9:19 AM
Brats should be parboiled in beer...

hmmm...

That seems a tad severe. But if the kid is completely out of control, I guess it is worth a try...

Peter Kelly
06-26-2015, 12:46 PM
Daddie's Favourite brown sauce all the way. HP is a close second.

Rick Potter
06-28-2015, 1:20 PM
This is a repeat, but seems appropriate here.

Used to work with a guy that put ketchup on everything, and it had to be Heinz. He would choose restaurants by what ketchup they had. On the rare occasion he and the wife ate out, and they didn't have Heinz, his wife carried a bottle in her purse for backup.

I don't know if there is any correlation to ketchup overdose, but he never spent a dime on anything he didn't need, and retired wealthy, to a golf course in Hawaii.

Greg Peterson
06-28-2015, 3:11 PM
Ketchup on hot dogs and brats?
Ketchup?

Jim Becker
06-29-2015, 10:01 PM
I so rarely use it...

Rod Sheridan
06-30-2015, 9:41 AM
Thanks John, so you can get two types of Ketchup, one with sugar and one with corn syrup?

Interesting, we only have the one with sugar...........Rod.

Rod Sheridan
06-30-2015, 9:44 AM

Kent, you forgot the sauerkraut, that and mustard are the only things I put on a hot dog, with a properly toasted bun of course........Regards, Rod

Rod Sheridan
06-30-2015, 9:44 AM

Excellent post Phil, now I'm hungry..........Rod.

Larry Browning
06-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Kent, you forgot the sauerkraut, that and mustard are the only things I put on a hot dog, with a properly toasted bun of course........Regards, Rod

A properly garnished hot dog also requires chili, with optional shredded cheese and peppers. But no ketchup.

John Coloccia
06-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Thanks John, so you can get two types of Ketchup, one with sugar and one with corn syrup?

Interesting, we only have the one with sugar...........Rod.

Simply Heinz and Organic Heinz both have sugar. They're both relatively new products. I prefer Simply Heinz. Hunts ketchup has sugar also, and always has I think, but it's not very good either way, IMHO.

Having grown up in New York, I have to say that I'm a mustard and sauerkraut guy, but mustard and sauerkraut doesn't go very well on hamburgers and french fries. Also, can't make a 3:00am bagel pizza with mustard and sauerkraut.

The history of sugar and corn syrup in the US has become very very very strange and bizarre. You should look it up if you want some entertaining reading, especially some of the crazy schemes manufactures concocted to get around the tariffs.

Brian Elfert
06-30-2015, 11:24 AM
I believe Hunts has ketchup with both HFCS and sugar. The cheapest Hunts ketchup still seems to have HFCS in it. The more expensive Hunts advertises no HFCS on the bottle.

Rick Potter
06-30-2015, 11:27 AM
I think I will have a polish dog at Costco for lunch today, With KETCHUP, yellow mustard, relish, kraut, and onions. Include a bottomless drink, for $1.62 out the door, and I'm stylin'. :cool:

Bert Kemp
06-30-2015, 11:44 AM
House recipe is the best I've ever had.

Chris Padilla
06-30-2015, 1:40 PM
I dunno. Sugar is sugar: fructose or glucose. Fructose and glucose gives you sucrose. Google up for yourself on the difference between corn syrup and sugar. Bottom line, it is all sugar. Now maybe the taste is different...I dunno.

Phil Thien
06-30-2015, 1:52 PM
I dunno. Sugar is sugar: fructose or glucose. Fructose and glucose gives you sucrose. Google up for yourself on the difference between corn syrup and sugar. Bottom line, it is all sugar. Now maybe the taste is different...I dunno.

This ties into the coffee thread, where some people can discern differences and others cannot. And I cannot.

I can't tell the difference between Coke sweetened with sugar and Coke sweetened w/ corn syrup. I don't doubt others can, and maybe I don't drink much coke so can't tell the difference.

But it is lost on me.

Brian Brown
06-30-2015, 2:35 PM
with mustard only, unless you want to add diced onions. Those are the only options for A Hot Dog. Ditto for A Bratwurst, in case you were wondering.

Your forgot the sauerkraut!!! :eek::D:D:D

Myk Rian
06-30-2015, 2:58 PM
What ever the wife buys!
Ditto. We don't use much anyway.

John Coloccia
06-30-2015, 3:51 PM

The CS version has a bit of a metallic aftertaste. The sugar version doesn't. It was a big enough difference for me that I noticed it immediately and tracked down why. Ketchup is cheap. Get a Heinz and a Simply Heinz and try them side by side. It's a night and day difference.

Larry Browning
06-30-2015, 4:26 PM
The CS version has a bit of a metallic aftertaste. The sugar version doesn't. It was a big enough difference for me that I noticed it immediately and tracked down why. Ketchup is cheap. Get a Heinz and a Simply Heinz and try them side by side. It's a night and day difference.

My taste buds are just not very refined. I have a very hard time tasting the difference between regular Coke and Diet Coke, let alone ketchup made from sugar vs corn syrup. I have had people say they feel sorry for me that I can't taste things the way they do. I count it as a blessing, I just buy the cheap stuff, and keep things simple. I think I eat to live, not live to eat. I guess it goes without saying, but I am not a picky eater. I will eat pretty much anything that doesn't bite back or run away.

Chris Padilla
07-01-2015, 4:39 PM
My taste buds are just not very refined. I have a very hard time tasting the difference between regular Coke and Diet Coke, let alone ketchup made from sugar vs corn syrup. I have had people say they feel sorry for me that I can't taste things the way they do. I count it as a blessing, I just buy the cheap stuff, and keep things simple. I think I eat to live, not live to eat. I guess it goes without saying, but I am not a picky eater. I will eat pretty much anything that doesn't bite back or run away.

Non-diet and diet drinks taste world's apart to me. Any drink that is 'diet' always has a nasty aftertaste according to my taste buds. The initial taste is very similar between the two but then a second or two later, the diet drink's aftertaste hits me like a ton of bricks. Yuck.

I'll have to pick up a bottle next time I remember. I do recall thinking that Coke in Europe tasted different than Coke back here but that was a while ago. I wonder, is the ONLY difference CS and sugar between the two ketchups?

Ole Anderson
07-02-2015, 11:39 AM
I guess I am just not a ketchup connoisseur, to me it makes no difference, they all taste pretty much the same. But then I never did an A to B comparison. Not like mustard where there are so many widely different styles.

As far as soda (known as pop here in Michigan): I am now allergic to any derivative of cocoa so Pepsi and Coke are out, I stick to Root Beer. And I don't need the extra 200 calories per can so I go with diet, much preferring A&W to Mug. Now A&W has a 10 calorie version which is much closer to the normal sweetened version, and I like that, although I have gotten used to the regular diet. But now if I take a sip of my wife's diet Pepsi, it tastes just awful. And I used to be a Pepsiholic.

Chris Padilla
07-02-2015, 1:03 PM
Ole,

I'm not sure you need the stuff they put into diet drinks, either. I've read where some studies show that the diet drinks are worse than the overly-sugared drinks but ultimately, neither was all that great for you. I rarely drink soda, pop, coke any more...maybe a can a month now. :)

Ole Anderson
07-02-2015, 8:32 PM
Ole,

I'm not sure you need the stuff they put into diet drinks, either. I've read where some studies show that the diet drinks are worse than the overly-sugared drinks but ultimately, neither was all that great for you. I rarely drink soda, pop, coke any more...maybe a can a month now. :)

I agree, best to just drink water. But sometimes you crave something more than just H2O. I probably overdo the pop thing, but limit myself to no more than two a day. Probably better than overdoing it on beer, of which I am not fond of.

Peter Kelly
07-02-2015, 8:50 PM
Sir Kensington's is also very good.
http://sirkensingtons.com/offerings

I usually only have ketchup on a hamburger (in lieu of brown / steak sauce). Other than that and fries, what does everyone else put it on?

Phil Thien
07-02-2015, 9:46 PM
Wow this thread is really moving all over the place.

Now we're on to soda vs. beer, and the question of pretzels (mini-twists vs. original size, vs. rods).