PDA

View Full Version : Reporting Shoddy Electrical Work

Raymond Fries
06-24-2015, 9:56 PM
Where can I report this? Is there an agency that can look at them? I became aware of some work that was done that could have set the house on fire. This work was done by a licensed HVAC installer. I do plan on uploading the pictures to Angie's List with a complaint. After their work here, I am shocked at the good reviews they got there.

Thanks

Lee Schierer
06-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Have you addressed the quality of the work with the installer?

Larry Frank
06-25-2015, 7:37 AM
I would document the issue and then contact the installer first. If that did not resolve issues, I would contact your local building inspector and discuss it with them.

I would be a little careful and make certain of everything before putting it all on the internet. I think Angies list is careful how they handle problems like yours do to the lawsuit potential.

Brad Adams
06-25-2015, 8:04 AM
You should contact the company first. It is more than likely the installer was in a hurry to get done. Give the company a chance to make it right.

Myk Rian
06-25-2015, 9:22 AM
I would document the issue and then contact the installer first. If that did not resolve issues, I would contact your local building inspector and discuss it with them.
^^^^This^^^^
Crying Wolf is no way to do it.

Mike Lassiter
06-25-2015, 9:41 AM
Where can I report this? Is there an agency that can look at them? I became aware of some work that was done that could have set the house on fire. This work was done by a licensed HVAC installer. I do plan on uploading the pictures to Angie's List with a complaint. After their work here, I am shocked at the good reviews they got there.

Thanks

Raymond, who says the work could have caused a fire? Did anyone get permits or have inspections done on the work? It's much more trouble to address poor work after the fact than during the process. I would image everyone is blaming someone else for everything, and nothing is getting resolved.

I recall when you started the work on your house adding windows and the mini split system and all the problems that you have had with so many areas of this. Frankly it seems like everyone involved with it has performed poorly and compounded your problems. Where any building and electric permits obtained and the work inspected? The long list of issues I have read you having with your project is a big reason why I try to do everything I can myself. I know there are good people "out there" that take pride in the work they do and see it as a reflection of themselves ( I am one of them) yet there are also people who will do the bare minimum or less and get by for years doing what many perceive to be good work when they honestly wouldn't know a good job from a poor one if it slapped them in the face. If I do it, I know how it was done, and who to look to if something goes wrong, and I am getting my training at my own expense rather than pay someone else to learn. Come backs are rare for me because I am "curious" and usually go to extreme to prevent future problems.

I am hoping for a good outcome for you in all of this. I think you have had more than your share of problems that really could have been prevented by the right people.

Phil Thien
06-25-2015, 9:42 AM
HVAC techs aren't electricians and should only be making final connections. At least in Wisconsin. So (for example), if you're adding a heat pump outside, an electrician is required to install the circuit and outside disconnect, and the HVAC guy is allow to connect to that disconnect.

So what I'm saying is, there isn't a lot of opportunity to do shoddy work when you're just making a final termination.

So what was done?

If it was an obvious attempt to circumvent the requirement to use a licensed electrician, I think I'd contact the electricians union.

Raymond Fries
06-25-2015, 11:10 AM
The heating contractor that installed the dehumidifier in the garden room first installed defective heat tape (the blue one) and the external drain line froze last winter. At this time, they chose their plan to run the line outside instead of running the drain line through the attic. When they came to fix the frozen line, they ran another heat tape inside the PVC pipe and said they would come in the spring and do the final fix. This heat tape was connected directly to the dehumidifier and ran 24/7. The wires exited the unit through the sheet metal side of the unit by leaving some screws loose. I discovered this burned spot a month ago. I sent the heat tape1 picture to them expressing my concern and there was no response from them about this.

They sent they installation manager out and he decided to run the line through the attic. He never said anything about the heat tape.

In dealing with the garden room leak, I needed to pull the dehumidifier from the back wall and remove the baseboard for my water testing.

These pictures are what I found when I pulled the drain line from the wall. Part of it was so brittle it broke pulling it from the wall. We decided we do not trust the work of these contractors. We are asking for a refund and to have them pick up the equipment. We will look to another contractor for a solution.

Looks like a fire hazard to me.

Phil Thien
06-25-2015, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure you can get them in trouble for that. Stupid, crappy job, no doubt. But nothing that probably hasn't been seen repeated elsewhere a few hundred thousand times.

Allowing HVAC techs to spec-out how the work will be performed can be a bit like gambling. Some of them are undoubtedly very bright and conscientious. Others probably had difficulty passing the 608 exams.

Try to do your research and figure out the best way to achieve your goal before hiring a contractor. Extra work, requires joining HVAC forums, etc., but when you're done you will know how to spec-out the work so the guy you hire gets it right.

Raymond Fries
06-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Good advice Phil. We have until winter before the dehumidifier will be needed.

Mike - I am with you on trying to do everything myself. I will be so glad when we are on the other side of this mess.

Thanks all for your comments.

Ole Anderson
06-25-2015, 11:49 AM
If it was an obvious attempt to circumvent the requirement to use a licensed electrician, I think I'd contact the electricians union.

Seriously, the union? Many licensed qualified electricians are not union. I don't see where that would get you. To answer the OP's question, if a complaint is in order, I would start at the building department to determine if a permit was needed and if so was it pulled. And if so, was the work inspected, and if so, did the specific "hazard" get passed by the inspector.

That being said, I doubt that installation of heat tape is something that requires a permit and inspection. My guess is that the installer didn't follow the heat tape manufacturer's requirements and the beef is with the installer. The OP may want to send the photos to the heat tape manufacturer for an opinion.

Mike Lassiter
06-25-2015, 11:58 AM
same on going mess you've been dealing with for months.

One just has to wonder if the way your installation has been done is the standard way they do them all. As I recall from previous post about the drain freezing. I think the water was actually freezing in the pipe in the ground when it got cold enough for the ground to freeze then backing up and blocking the drain line elbow that was ended over the pipe in the ground. Heat tape never would solve that problem, but I suppose wrapping the drain coming out of the wall and later installing heat tape in that pipe would keep the condensation from freezing in the pipe were it could run out.

I thought months ago, the drain was never done in a way that could be problem free. This is my point about doing things. Think of what you can do now to avoid problems later. You are already working on it now, so why not take a little extra precautions and have a trouble free FOR LIFE job.

keep us posted on how this goes Raymond

Phil Thien
06-25-2015, 1:46 PM
Seriously, the union? Many licensed qualified electricians are not union. I don't see where that would get you.

You're probably right.

Moses Yoder
06-26-2015, 7:32 AM
I don't really know much about code but to me it does not look like the electrical code has been violated. However if I hired an electrician and he or she did work like this I would kick them to the curb pretty fast and not pay the bill. I have done most of my own wiring so far in my life and am pretty particular about how it looks when I am done and my wife is actually concerned about not burning the house down.

Jerome Stanek
06-26-2015, 8:47 AM
from your pictures why are you complaining about shoddy electric install that is heat tape that plugs into an electric outlet. that would fall under HVAC inspections.

Art Mann
06-26-2015, 9:52 AM
Most of the heat tape I have seen is indeed terminated in a 120V wall plug, but you can also buy it by the foot and terminate it yourself.

It seems to me that the OP is trying to get some inspector to declare the installation unacceptable so he can avoid a personal confrontation with the business owner. I think he will not be successful with that strategy. He just needs to contact the people and force them to do the job right.

Dick Strauss
06-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Art,
With work like that, I would question whether the original HVAC contractor is capable of doing the job right! I would not allow them back in my house unless they presented me with a plan to fix the issue. I would research the issue and consult with at least one local expert and then make sure the contractors plan is blessed by the expert.

Raymond,
It was my understanding that heat tape should only be used with metal pipe unless it has an automatic thermostat to keep it from overheating like it seems it did here! I think the brown pipe is a sign of the pvc staying hot for too long and getting brittle but I'm no expert.

Was there a thermostat on the heating tape and do you know the wrap rate (spacing between spirals) spec'ed by the manufacturer for that size pipe?

Raymond Fries
06-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Art, that is not the case. Sorry if my post led you down the wrong path. I have contcted the contractor and sent them pictures. I asked for a complete refund for the dehumidifier and told them that I would assume responsibility for repairing the hole in the wall from the drain line, replacing the siding, replacing the baseboard, removing the non-functional french drain, and cleaning or replacing the damaged tile from the leak. My letter told them that I do not trust their work. I did not tell them this, but, I never want them touching anything in my house. BTW - They replied yesterday and apologized for our negative experience. The are refunding our money and will pick up their equipment.

My search for somewhere to report them was just an attempt to see if someone can look at their practices before someone dies in a fire. IMHO - If they cannot handle heat tape, what are they doing with more complicated stuff? I am just a homeowner that wants installations done according to manufacturers instructions. That should not be to much to ask for.

Raymond Fries
06-26-2015, 10:34 AM
from your pictures why are you complaining about shoddy electric install that is heat tape that plugs into an electric outlet. that would fall under HVAC inspections.

Jerome, the heat tape connected directly to a power strip inside of the unit with some clips that pushed on to brass tabs and I do not know what they are called. They had to take the side of the unit off to connect it. Sorry if I mis-spoke. I am not a well versed in building codes.

Robert Payne
06-26-2015, 4:34 PM
Based on the pictures and the content of the thread so far, I would recommend that you contact the local housing inspector's office and ask for a meeting to show them the photos and ask them for names of qualified contractors to correct the work. You are correct in being concerned for this poor installation causing a fire or damaging expensive HVAC equipment.

Ole Anderson
06-28-2015, 6:08 PM
I still think the heat tape manufacturer would be interested in those pics.

Sean Troy
06-28-2015, 8:49 PM
Good advice Phil. We have until winter before the dehumidifier will be needed.

Mike - I am with you on trying to do everything myself. I will be so glad when we are on the other side of this mess.

Thanks all for your comments.
I'm confused as to why you won't need the dehumidifier until winter? Are you that much different than us down here in KY.? We need them in the summer not winter. Winters are bone dry here. Sean

Phil Thien
06-28-2015, 9:07 PM
I still think the heat tape manufacturer would be interested in those pics.

Oh that is not likely.

Their insurer may like to see them, but the manufacturer, nope.

The manufacturer already knows what happens if their product is used on plastic pipe, without a timer.

That is why they tell people not to do that.

Telling them people are doing so anyway would only cause them problems if they have to defend the product in court.

Brian W Smith
06-29-2015, 7:08 AM
+1 to Sean's #22 post....

And will spare the horror stories on Elect. work,sometimes it's best not to air certain problems(not directed at ANYONE here).........imagine a house that got inspected(official building inspection) with no ground rod?Good luck,hope it all works out.

Joe Tilson
06-29-2015, 8:31 AM
I don't understand why heat strips would be put on PVC plastic in the first place.
Copper pipe in that area would transmit heart much better.
Plastic will only melt.
Just a thought on my part.
Best wishes on getting it repaired properly.

Raymond Fries
06-29-2015, 2:15 PM
The unit will not be needed until winter because the A/C pulls the moisture during non-winter months. She uses alot of waterfor all of the herbs and vegetables she grows out there.