PDA

View Full Version : supermarket hardwood

Bruce Mack
06-24-2015, 8:46 PM
At least 2 big supermarket chains in the Minneapolis area have bundled heat treated plastic wrapped firewood which is stated to be hardwood. I see no bugs and each 5 dollar bundle will be ample for many spoons. I think I'll get a bundle, unwrap it and leave it in the garage. Has anyone used this resource for carving? Am I nuts? Comments please.

Brian Kent
06-25-2015, 8:49 PM
Nothing nuts about using wood for wood carving. If it doesn't work, you already know what to do with it.

Joe Pfeifer
06-28-2015, 9:46 PM
Most of the bundles of firewood I've seen use the off cuts from the lumber industry. This is generally the bark and sap wood they cut off to make a flat surface for further processing. Personally I'd skip it, but you may find something good.

Bruce Mack
06-29-2015, 11:33 AM
So far I found 2 splits of oak or ash, probably not good for utensils. A third one is maple. Despite checks at both ends I have enough to make a spoon 11 inches long with a big bowl. The wood cuts well with gouges and drawknives. The hook knife has difficulty. Hoping for other good finds in the $5.30 purchase.

Mark Greenbaum
11-23-2015, 1:32 PM
Try the big box store and ask for the pallets. The lowest cross braces are usually hardwoods, 2 x 3" and 36" long. Watch out for nails and staples, but should yield quite a few spoons of oak or beech.