PDA

View Full Version : WoodRiver HVLP Gun Comments...

Derek Arita
06-24-2015, 5:05 PM
Just got this HVLP gun and boy, do I like it. I have a 4 stage HVLP setup and I use on big jobs, however my paint shop is a third-car-garage, so I have to put the HVLP away after every use...kind of a pain. I've been refinishing a lot of repaired totes for hand planes lately, but didn't want to haul out the 4 stage every time I needed to spray, so I started using those little compressed air spray canisters. They are handy and easy to use and clean, but they are very inconsistent in how they spray the waterborne poly that I've been using. I did a little research and read a lot of good things about the Woodriver HVLP gun, so I figured, what the heck, for $43.
It's pretty well made and fit and finish seem pretty nice. It's not like my other HVLP, but for hundreds of $ less, I was impressed. The gravity feed had no problem spraying this fairly thick poly and just a few adjustments got it spraying with minimal pressure and nice atomization, from what I could tell.
I'm certainly not a finishing expert and spray only a few projects a year, but for the time, space and trouble savings, I'll definitely reach for the WR before going whole hog with the 4 stage. Just thought you'd like to know...
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/derekarita1/IMG_0844_zps8fwm6ecm.jpg (http://s63.photobucket.com/user/derekarita1/media/IMG_0844_zps8fwm6ecm.jpg.html)\

Bruce Wrenn
06-24-2015, 9:07 PM
If it's the gun I remember, HF sells same gun for $9.99. Woodcraft has different sized tips available though. I own several of the HF ones, using a different gun for each color of oil based paint. It's hard to justify the time and solvent used to clean a gun that costs less than ten bucks, but I do.

Derek Arita
06-24-2015, 9:25 PM
Hard to tell which HF gun this is. I see them priced 15.99 and up, but they all look the same. Which one is it?

Derek Arita
06-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Well, you're right! I had to see for myself, so I went and spent a whole $16 - 20% for the HF gun. I tried it out and actually saw, albeit anecdotal, just as nice a spray pattern as with the WR gun. Results were equal to my eye.
One thing I did notice was that the WR gun has 10 atomizing holes, where the HR cheapo has but 4. How much of a difference that makes when spraying poly, I have no idea.
Thanks for the comment on the HF gun. I would never have thought, but now I know. For that kind of price, you can't go wrong.

John Schweikert
06-25-2015, 4:43 PM
What makes your 4 stage HVLP so much trouble for small jobs?

Not sure what 4 stage HVLP you have, but adding the adapter and 3M PPS cup system makes using any high end HVLP turbine super easy. (3M system can also be adapted to quality compressor guns too.) I've been using a Fuji Q4 for years, several guns, siphon, gravity and touch up gun. I added the 3m adapter and use 8oz cups/liners and 28oz cups/liners now exclusively on the siphon and gravity, swapping back and forth. Cleanup is easy, the liners are reusable or can be thrown away. Also paint can be stored in the liners for long periods of time. I've left the paint/liner and gun for weeks at a time using periodically for the same client project with an exterior Sherwin Williams paint for painting a steel bench base, parking ballards, etc. Weeks later easy cleanup, Fuji gun sparkles as usual.

A turbine HVLP is just too easy to use in my opinion. No need for a compressor version. With a turbine, I can paint non stop and not have to wait on an under powered compressor, and also never a worry of water or oil issues in the air line. Transporting is easier with a turbine too.

Derek Arita
06-25-2015, 5:14 PM
What makes your 4 stage HVLP so much trouble for small jobs?

Not sure what 4 stage HVLP you have, but adding the adapter and 3M PPS cup system makes using any high end HVLP turbine super easy. (3M system can also be adapted to quality compressor guns too.) I've been using a Fuji Q4 for years, several guns, siphon, gravity and touch up gun. I added the 3m adapter and use 8oz cups/liners and 28oz cups/liners now exclusively on the siphon and gravity, swapping back and forth. Cleanup is easy, the liners are reusable or can be thrown away. Also paint can be stored in the liners for long periods of time. I've left the paint/liner and gun for weeks at a time using periodically for the same client project with an exterior Sherwin Williams paint for painting a steel bench base, parking ballards, etc. Weeks later easy cleanup, Fuji gun sparkles as usual.

A turbine HVLP is just too easy to use in my opinion. No need for a compressor version. With a turbine, I can paint non stop and not have to wait on an under powered compressor, and also never a worry of water or oil issues in the air line. Transporting is easier with a turbine too.
I have no space to store the 4 stage in a convenient place, so every time I'm done using it, I have to wrap it all back up in the box and hoist it up on an overhead storage shelf in the single car garage. When I want to use it, I have to get the ladder out, pull it down, set it up, the drape the surrounding machines with plastic tarp.
So far, I've only used the gun/compressor on a couple of small jobs, however spraying 5 coats over about 1/2 hour, my 20 gal compressor never even turned on. Although I think you're right about it's limited portability, I can't see why a much smaller compressor couldn't power through small jobs.

Scott Brandstetter
06-25-2015, 7:37 PM
This is of great interest to me so I'd like to ask a few questions. How big of a compressor would I need to run this gun or the harbor freight gun? Do these guns only spray stains and so forth or can a latex be put through them?

Buy the way, Derek, that spray job looks darn good to me.

Bruce Wrenn
06-25-2015, 8:33 PM
For spraying stair rails (outdoor stairs, and oil based) I use a double stack, oil-less from DeVilbiss. But a rail only has a small surface area. Have a HF gun rack on each end of saw horses, with a gun of primer on one end, and a gun of top coat on the other., Just switch hose from guns,and keep getting it.

Derek Arita
06-25-2015, 8:52 PM
This is of great interest to me so I'd like to ask a few questions. How big of a compressor would I need to run this gun or the harbor freight gun? Do these guns only spray stains and so forth or can a latex be put through them?

Buy the way, Derek, that spray job looks darn good to me.
Scott, I have a 20gal 5 HP compressor. I put about 5 coats on the tote using General Finishes Waterborne Poly, which is pretty thick stuff. The compressor never had to come on once for my project. I have no doubt that a much small compressor would be just fine, if not using it daily, for large jobs. I read several reviews where latex was sprayed regularly.
I had all the same concerns that you have and just couldn't believe that a $15 to $45 gun could do what my $1200 HVLP does, at least at my level of use. Well, these guns seem to do it.

Bruce Wrenn
06-25-2015, 9:13 PM
Derek, does the air cap from the WR fit the HF gun? If so do you have a part number?

Derek Arita
06-25-2015, 9:40 PM
Derek, does the air cap from the WR fit the HF gun? If so do you have a part number?

I'm sorry...air cap? What's that?

Dan Hahr
06-25-2015, 10:10 PM
My HF guns worked OK when I got them. By the time I figured them out, the adjustments really didn't do much to change the pressure or pattern. They started leaking badly. I was turned onto them by an auto refinisher that said they were great for primer. I guess I tried to get more than I should have out of them. For the first time though, it was worth 10 bucks. I am now shopping for a turbine system.

Dan

Bruce Wrenn
06-26-2015, 4:17 PM
I'm sorry...air cap? What's that?The part with ten holes in it, instead of four on the HF gun.

Derek Arita
06-26-2015, 4:33 PM

Bruce, yes it fits. I don't have a #, but you can probably find that out by calling Woodcraft tech help. My guess is that all part interchange, however I did't try for fear of damaging the needle valve.