PDA

View Full Version : Searched, but......(contractor saw/dust collection)

John McBride
06-24-2015, 2:29 PM
Hello all,
Just a quick shout out to anyone who can point me to a "known to be effective" shop built, or otherwise, method of capturing dust from an open base contractor saw? (A LA Delta model 10 style)

What I'm trying to do is figure out how best to capture and collect from the bottom of the saw, without huge modifications. Maybe some sort of "tray" under the saw in the open part if its stand. Something sloped with a port to hook dust collection too?

Pics would be great, but I'll take what I can get.

Thanks guys.

Rod Sheridan
06-24-2015, 2:57 PM
Hi, when I had a contractor saw I simply inserted a piece of plywood in the base with a 4 X 10 floor boot oriented in the same direction as the saw blade.

You'll still need some method of overhead dust collection as well..........Regards, Rod.

Lee Schierer
06-24-2015, 4:26 PM
On my craftsman contractor type saw. I made an open top box that fits up into the base with a 4" PVC elbow at the bottom that connects to my DC system. I closed off the hole for the raise lower crank that fits in a crescent shaped cutout in the front panel with magnetic sheeting for closing off heating vents. It does a decent job of collecting all the sawdust that stays below the zero clearance insert in the throat plate. I think I had to drill just four holes in the sheet metal to attach it.

John McBride
06-24-2015, 4:58 PM
Rod and Lee,

Thanks guys! I'm bouncing between here and Google looking for ideas. These two reply are quite helpful. I hadn't thought about the magnetic panel, great idea. If I leave the slot that the blade height shaft slides in there should be a good amount of airflow. The box and blade shroud idea are primo. Simple and should be effective. Exactly what I was looking for instead of having to build a whole new base. Perfect.

Charles Lent
06-24-2015, 5:13 PM
How about this

http://www.rockler.com/contractor-table-saw-dust-bag?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&sid=V9146&gclid=CjwKEAjwqqmsBRDGy_3h_eS80jYSJACS95Cv2vh5D3lu rHokMSTJ1ExqDOcWHBiJOiYp3W5buLx8IhoCMHnw_wcB

I've seen others of similar design including one with a vacuum port at the bottom of the bag. Some Google searches should bring it up.

Charley

John McBride
06-24-2015, 7:17 PM
Thanks Charley.

Charles Lent
06-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Do a Google photo search for "Contractor Saw Dust Collection" without the quotes. You will get quite an education from it. I think every contractor saw owner for the past 30 or so years has come up with his own method, taken pictures, and posted them somewhere on the internet. Find an interesting one and then go to the website that the picture originated from and see what else is there.

Charley

John McBride
06-25-2015, 7:17 AM
Charley,
Funny you should mention the "photo search" vs. Normal Google search. I just discovered this particular method recently. It's funny how this had never occurred to me before. Great way to help narrow down a search somewhat.

Charles Lent
06-25-2015, 9:17 AM
John,
I have a 34-444 Delta Contractor Saw in my welding shop, that I converted to cut steel. I removed the collection bag that had been on it because the metal dust chips were getting caught in the fabric (made it very sharp to handle). It's easier and safer to pick the metal chips up off the floor with a large electro-magnet to put them in the trash because they are heavy and don't blow around like wood dust does. In my wood shop I have a Unisaw and a vacuum system to handle the wood sawdust.

Charley

Mark Stutz
06-25-2015, 9:43 AM
You'll also need to close up the back as much as possible. I fabricated a hardboard insert with cutouts to go round the motor and pulley guard. It was attached with magnetic tape so that it could be removed if I needed to tilt the saw.

Grant Wilkinson
06-26-2015, 11:55 AM
I have the Ridgid 3650 contractor saw. I fitted a plywood shelf to the sides of the saw and mounted a big gulp and a 90 onto it. I blocked some of the back, too. It works quite well. You still need something above the table, though.